Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drs92
Thank You all Mine should be here soon Only other question is why do people say it needs a ton of upgrades compared to the dex to be racer ready? Also something about the gear diff not holding up?
If you're building the kit it comes with a ball diff not a gear diff.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Quad Racer 34
The diff is fine. A lot of people switch the thrust assembly to the b4.1 but other than that it's. The diff likes to be ran pretty tight though so keep that in mind. You may want to get the 5deg caster blocks with it as well.
Originally Posted by MentalWhiplash
If you're building the kit it comes with a ball diff not a gear diff.
Thanks, that cleared alot up Greatly appreciated guys
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

How tight are you guys running your slipper? Right now my input shaft is about 1.9mm out of the nut. Yes I know how that sounds. I can also spin the tires anywhere, even on carpet.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Depends on track conditions .
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Walkman
Unless its my iPhone messing it up, the setup sheet is blank.
you have to download the adobe reader app. follow the instructions and then you can view on you i phone
Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CloseYetFar
How tight are you guys running your slipper? Right now my input shaft is about 1.9mm out of the nut. Yes I know how that sounds. I can also spin the tires anywhere, even on carpet.
That sounds very tight if you can spin the tires on carpet. Loosen it and set it to your surface, it's hard to give a measurement and say it's good. All the slipper springs are going to be slightly different and more importantly every surface, tire, motor, and drive are going to be different and require a slightly different setting. A good starting point for a looser track is to put it on the straight, hammer the throttle and have the slipper slip for the first foot the car travels (listen for it). If it's a very high grip track then maybe you want it so the car will wheely only when you hit the throttle from a standstill and not if you have any slight bit of forward momentum. Over time I've learned how big of a difference slipper settings can make.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Eli
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I thought the slipper was just to protect the drivetrain, i know someone has stated this before. I would imagine you are going to smoke your slipper if you are setting it very loose for a slippery track and possibly heat your motor up. I set my slipper by holding the rear tires and blipping the throttle and setting it so the tires lift about 2-3 inches off the ground.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kstoracing1
Dirt medium size. Tires I foind HB megabites work alright. Flipouts too. Mod 8.5 right now I'm on a DE setup. 25/5 up front. Caster 1.5 down, 2mm inside 1mm outside, 1

Did 1e in rear trying to slow it down. 2Inside 2outside on rear.

Real dust, smooth track. Looking to get it to push to see if I can come out the corners quicker.right now it'll over. Other than that I'm good.

Thanks for the help
A few things that helped me with my setup for better rear bite on a similar track is
Lower anti squat I am at 1*
Do the TLR raise the trans 1mm mod
I also put 3/4 oz of weight above the trans behind the tower
I also run inside on rear arm and inside on tower with White spring
Also make sure your shocks are soft enough I am running small hole piston (I forget if that is the 54 or 56) with 20wt losi oil rear
Also I am running 24.75 rear ride height and 25 front
Front shocks middle middle stock spring
Last try other front tires I run JC groovys and they seem to work great with a bit of wear I tried a tread type tire yesturday the losi taper pin and it had too much steering it was a bit too sensitive and pulled the car around more than I liked

My car used to have the same issue as you I think the trans mod and anti squat mod really helped the thing I really like about the anti squat is that if the rear does start to loose traction it is alot easier to power through rather than loop out.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Yes , the slipper is for protecting the drive train , mainly the diff . Setting it to slip before the diff slips as well as to the track is important . Setting to slip one foot is not going cause the motor to heat up the motor . Slipping more than that can .

The whole holding tire method is incorrect IMO and only setting to protect the slipper . Set it to the track , will be set tighter for high grip and looser for low grip .
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eli
I thought the slipper was just to protect the drivetrain, i know someone has stated this before. I would imagine you are going to smoke your slipper if you are setting it very loose for a slippery track and possibly heat your motor up. I set my slipper by holding the rear tires and blipping the throttle and setting it so the tires lift about 2-3 inches off the ground.
Yes it is to save the drivetrain but also a tuning tool I set mine to give best traction possible I think it is easier to start loose and tighten untill it gives best forward bite for the track. If the slipper is too loose you will not make tough jumps with good grip and also give up forward acceleration but if track is loose you can loosen slipper a bit so you get a slight slip from the slipper and get more grip from the tires so you can make jumps with a loose take off it also helps coming out of a slippery corner. In my opinion as long as the slipper is adjusted to the track even set a bit loose it will last pretty good and the cost of slipper pads every few races is worth the money to gain traction giving best acceleration.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by adubaz7
A few things that helped me with my setup for better rear bite on a similar track is
Lower anti squat I am at 1*
Do the TLR raise the trans 1mm mod
I also put 3/4 oz of weight above the trans behind the tower
I also run inside on rear arm and inside on tower with White spring
Also make sure your shocks are soft enough I am running small hole piston (I forget if that is the 54 or 56) with 20wt losi oil rear
Also I am running 24.75 rear ride height and 25 front
Front shocks middle middle stock spring
Last try other front tires I run JC groovys and they seem to work great with a bit of wear I tried a tread type tire yesturday the losi taper pin and it had too much steering it was a bit too sensitive and pulled the car around more than I liked

My car used to have the same issue as you I think the trans mod and anti squat mod really helped the thing I really like about the anti squat is that if the rear does start to loose traction it is alot easier to power through rather than loop out.
Thanks by the way.

Cool, I will start with the Tran mod.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. Basically I am looking for a safe start point. I'll probably start a little loose and tighten it up from there. If I can spin the tires I should be good, and I'll use my current limiter and throttle curve from there.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripthreat
FYI - My Reedy Race setup is up on TLRacing.com

http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...Reedy_Race.pdf
Will this setup work on hard pack indoor clay with medium bite? Or is the standard setup better? I did the tranny mod and the tire of choice is frt taper pins and rear bk bars, pink.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drs92
Thank You all Mine should be here soon Only other question is why do people say it needs a ton of upgrades compared to the dex to be racer ready? Also something about the gear diff not holding up?
I think its just due to the amount of tuning that folks do to the car due to all the adjust ability options. I just put $125 of upgraded parts on the car but none of them were really needed due to something cryonicly breaking. They are just stuff I though would help balance out strength and weight placement a bit. Its a fun car out of the box!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
I think its just due to the amount of tuning that folks do to the car due to all the adjust ability options. I just put $125 of upgraded parts on the car but none of them were really needed due to something cryonicly breaking. They are just stuff I though would help balance out strength and weight placement a bit. Its a fun car out of the box!
I just wanna use it for fun and get to "upgrade" my skills.

Last edited by drs92; 02-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.