TLR 22 Racing Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by micrors4guy
Yes 81/22 for an 8.5
Thanks man, its just that 17.5 boosted spun the tire out way more like more RPM's so I was just wondering because its my first mod motor in this buggy! .
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have a question on the setup sheets. I'll be running a shorty pack as most of the setup sheets indicate. When the sheet dictates "Battery Forward". Is that forward in the tray with the battery stop in the forward position or in the rearward position?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

About piston sizes. Can you simply add the holes sizes to get a sort of piston number? Like say the 55 piston 4 holes most people used to run. I think the holes size was about 1.2mm. They combined would be 4.8 right? When we now run 2 holes with 1.6mm holes that would be 3.2mm. That would make a much tighter piston, am I right? If you wanted to go for more pack, why just not run the 57 pistons? Think they have 1mm holes. Do you want even more pack then that?

Another question, does it makes any difference if I run 2 holes at 1.5mm or 3 holes at say 1mm?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by McD44
I have a question on the setup sheets. I'll be running a shorty pack as most of the setup sheets indicate. When the sheet dictates "Battery Forward". Is that forward in the tray with the battery stop in the forward position or in the rearward position?
Typically this means the battery tray is in the rear position and the battery is all the way forward in that. To make things even more complicated a lot of us use the Alum battery tray and that has two positions and a lot of use use that to move the tray 10mm further forward in the rear position. Are you confused yet?

Last edited by Casper; 12-10-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Typically this means the battery tray is in the rear position and the battery is all the way forward in that. To make things even more complicated a lot of us use the Alum battery tray and that has two positions and a lot of use use that to move the tray 10mm further forward in the rear position. Are you confused yet?
LOL I think I know what your're saying. I saw the "10mm forward" comment on one of the sheets, now I understand what that means.

That's good news, I'll have more room for my Rx and PT then. I'll have to pick up that AL tray too. With two nitro 1/8 scales and now this little speedster my "need to order" list is getting long...and costly .
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by McD44
LOL I think I know what your're saying. I saw the "10mm forward" comment on one of the sheets, now I understand what that means.

That's good news, I'll have more room for my Rx and PT then. I'll have to pick up that AL tray too. With two nitro 1/8 scales and now this little speedster my "need to order" list is getting long...and costly .
Yeah once you get it setup though maintance costs are not that bad on the 22 series.

I think we need a little cheat sheet that lables the different battery tray positions. Might try and whip up something.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by magnushedqvist
About piston sizes. Can you simply add the holes sizes to get a sort of piston number?
Like say the 55 piston 4 holes most people used to run. I think the holes size was about 1.2mm. They combined would be 4.8 right? When we now run 2 holes with 1.6mm holes that would be 3.2mm. That would make a much tighter piston, am I right? If you wanted to go for more pack, why just not run the 57 pistons? Think they have 1mm holes. Do you want even more pack then that?

Another question, does it makes any difference if I run 2 holes at 1.5mm or 3 holes at say 1mm?
Holes in pistons do not work like that. Warning, the following explanation is technically incorrect, it is just intended for general guidance!
At low speeds as many oil can move through the piston as the sum of the hole areas. To compare pistons in this regard you have to multiply the square of the hole diameters with the number of holes.
At high speeds the movement of oil becomes turbulent, where less oil can pass. The smaller the size of the holes, the sooner it reaches these higher speeds.
Generally this high speed motion is reached when hitting the cafe of a jump or landing. This means if you have fewer holes but bigger, your shocks will be more predictable, but will bottom out on smaller jumps.
you have to add the squares of piston di
Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah once you get it setup though maintance costs are not that bad on the 22 series.

I think we need a little cheat sheet that lables the different battery tray positions. Might try and whip up something.
Then add the Orion WTS battery to the equation and it gets even more complex.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Should I switch to the two hole piston? If so what are the changes going to be?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Jrob72
Should I switch to the two hole piston? If so what are the changes going to be?
if you go from say 4 hole 55 to 2 hole 1.6 pistons. I found corner handling was very similar but the car landed better and in the rougher parts of the track the car was more settled. Did not move around as much. Basically it gives a little more pack without effecting roll as much as say going down to a 56 4 hole piston may.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I was confused but I understand what your saying now. Good info. Need to update my notes. Also a aluminum tray to experiment with.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

What are people doing to remove the bump steer this buggy has.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cameron Kellogg
What are people doing to remove the bump steer this buggy has.
Come on Cam, you know I can fix that for you
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you go from say 4 hole 55 to 2 hole 1.6 pistons. I found corner handling was very similar but the car landed better and in the rougher parts of the track the car was more settled. Did not move around as much. Basically it gives a little more pack without effecting roll as much as say going down to a 56 4 hole piston may.
Ok I may try that, I'm trying to get my back end to quit spinning out through turns I've adjusted a few things and its gotten better. Someone suggested a less aggressive front tire I may give that a try. I've been running rebars any suggestions ?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jrob72
Ok I may try that, I'm trying to get my back end to quit spinning out through turns I've adjusted a few things and its gotten better. Someone suggested a less aggressive front tire I may give that a try. I've been running rebars any suggestions ?

list your set up and what type of surface you are running on and lots will chime in to help! (the 2 hole piston mod settles down the car but if your spinning out through the corners its more of a set issue you have)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.