Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to be a better racer

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Here's a trick that a much more experienced racer taught me to help keep me smooth in the turns:

Use the drag brake. I absolutely hate the drag brake, but it keeps you from completely coming off the throttle in the turns. You give it just enough to maintain your line and get through then turn, then smoothly accelerate out. The surge from stabbing the throttle can really upset the car on exit.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Let the faster guys go by ...follow there line if your car cant follow just car not driver, change your set-up .....but seriously
Old 08-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

This is a good thread!

I've been into RC's for quite a while now, but this is my first year of club racing. I find I can drive quite well in practice, but my problem is settling down my nerves in the races. The worst is the very first heat I run in. I settle myself down after that, but during the 2nd heat and final main my nerves are still a little tense and ends up taking away from my driving abilities.

Just gotta work on it i guess!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8ight-racer
I talked to Billy Fischer about this and this is what he said.

Personally, my goal is to be on the ground and on the throttle as much as possible to be getting to the next obstacle as fast as possible. If my brakes are set up properly, I should be able to let off the throttle at the latest possible moment before each corner or jump. In nitro, I tend to blip the throttle slightly to keep the clutch engaged. In electric, I'm smoother on the throttle so I don't break the tires loose. I think the major separation between the expert drivers and the sportsman / intermediate drivers is the fact that experts aren't scared of what may happen. Most people are so focused on not crashing that it ends up hurting their speed. I've grown to learn that if you are a second a lap slower and don't crash in a 10 lap race, the guy who is a second a lap faster than you and has 5-8 seconds worth of crashes is still going to beat you. Granted everybody's goal is to not crash, the people who dwell on that alone will never advance as far as they could.
Not crashing is the most important aspect of R/C racing. With nitro on long tracks, there might be a second per lap to gain by driving harder. but in electric and in on-road driving hard might get you .1 - .2 per lap. A single crash will cost more tan what is gained by taking risks. Plus, crashes can break your car or can small damage that will slow you down.

R/C takes a lot of natural talent like many other activities. Some are good and some will never be good. The important thing is to have fun and always try and do your best and improve from race to race.

Equipment is important too. It must be properly maintained and set up well.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HB Willy
This is a good thread!

I've been into RC's for quite a while now, but this is my first year of club racing. I find I can drive quite well in practice, but my problem is settling down my nerves in the races. The worst is the very first heat I run in. I settle myself down after that, but during the 2nd heat and final main my nerves are still a little tense and ends up taking away from my driving abilities.

Just gotta work on it i guess!
I find that talking and joking with other drivers really help steady the nerves. And if there's nothing to talk about, then gum helps too.