Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
How to be a better racer >

How to be a better racer

How to be a better racer

Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? How to be a better racer

Hi, I've been racing for about a year now, but I've never been really good. Are there any tricks apart from practicing to be a good driver on the track?

I have a B4 with a Mamba max pro with Trinity Duo 13.5 motor with a Bluebird servo and Kopropo Mars EX-1 rx/tx.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by B4power View Post
Hi, I've been racing for about a year now, but I've never been really good. Are there any tricks apart from practicing to be a good driver on the track?

I have a B4 with a Mamba max pro with Trinity Duo 13.5 motor with a Bluebird servo and Kopropo Mars EX-1 rx/tx.
I started racing 1/8 scale buggy's 3 months ago.
I was a hardcore gamer so I guess I have a good reaction time and coordination over my hands/fingers.
I also have a racing sim at home so I know the basics of racing. How to enter turns, exit turns, setup related things etc.

Other drivers told me that I drive good and smooth. I think smooth and controlled is very important. Some people try to push too hard and they end up uncontrolled in the turn and taking it wide.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Regular

G'Day

Practicing is obviously the key, but recognising your faults is another.

Where do you go wrong, do you crash over jumps, over-cook the corners, can you drive in a straight line?

The most important thing you can put into a car isn't the motor or speedo, its your concentration.

To be honest, I think the best thing I can say, is if you want to get faster then SLOW DOWN!

Smokey
Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you finishing races? Other than practice, the most important thing is making sure your car stays together. I see allot of really fast guys have trouble at the track because they don't properly maintain their cars and they never finish a race.

I am not fast by any means, but I consistently place in the top three because my cars never break.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smokeyr67 View Post
To be honest, I think the best thing I can say, is if you want to get faster then SLOW DOWN!

Smokey
I completely agree. I recently started racing as well. The lower I turn down the throttle EPA, the faster I get around the track.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 277 (100%+)

from what I can tell, these really help:

- Make sure you have the right tires
- Make sure you have a good setup that is right for your skill
- Don't be scared to slow down
- Don't feel you need to take every jump
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the input.

I do have good tires. I should maybe slow down. I see some people at the track that are very slow and are better than me. So, I think I really need to slow down.

No, my car is in good condition and I always finish my races.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

one thing I have noticed with myself is that I am very much faster in practice when I am not driving around all the short course guys that are bashing. Staying away from them lets me learn a track better

and slow down, dont feel like you need to jump something when you think you are going to case it
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Yea, I think I am going to slow down to take turns better and let's hope I have better track time with that.

Can I roll the jumps? Will this be as good?

What should I do during the main? I am usually ok in the main depending if I have a good start or not.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Make marshalls ignore you.

I've kept up with Modified 4wd Slashes using my 2wd stock Blitz by not crashing - and they were a handful for the marshalls.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4power View Post

I have been racing electric 8th scales about four years now. Hardly what I would call a Pro driver, but I have my days that I do pretty decently.

1) Slow is fast. It is much better to take it slow and consistent. I have won races simply by not being marshalled even though I wasn't really throwing down the fastest lap times. Much better to have consistent average lap times than one or two really fast laps a second or two faster and then lose 10 seconds because you wound up on your lid.

2) Maintenance. Keeping your car in working order is a must. Nothing sucks more than getting a DNF because a part failed or a screw backed out because you didn't put loc-tite on it.

3) Turns. Races are won in the turns, not on the straight away. Everyone goes fast on the straight, but learning how to carry good corner speed is what separates the fast drivers.

4) Courtesy. Get out of the way of drivers who are trying to pass. Learning how to let faster guys pass cleanly. You will appreciate it if slow guys get out of your way if your are coming up on them, so return the favor. I have learned to that guys that are coming up on me hot sometimes will just self-implode on the next corner anyway, so just avoid them like the plague (so they don't take you out with them) and use their mistakes as way to let the door open up for you instead of trying to race them to the next corner.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The number one thing i started to doing that made me much faster was to roll jumps that i didn't feel comfortable with. during practice i would try to figure out how and where to hit the jumps that were giving me trouble. Then during the race if i knew i wasn't lined up properly for the jump i would just roll it. i notice immediately my lap times going down. I went from 12th to 4-5th just by the rolling jumps I wasn't comfortable with. with even more practice you will get the hang of the jumps and you will start hitting them correctly more often and this will drop your laps times even more.

I race in sportsman 1/8th scale e buggy, during my last race i just tried to race comfortably, going fast where i knew i could and slow where i was a bit leery. I ended up winning the race by 2 laps.

there is a video of Tessman racing truggy on youtube i don't remember where i found it but its from a recent Canadian race , and if you watch closely in one section he always doubles a potential triple while everyone else tries to triple the jump. needless to say he wins by a great amount. its sometimes faster to be conservative.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've only been on a track once, but I have been watching a ton of YouTube...which by all means makes me the worst expert when it comes to things!

With that, I'm currently attempting to learn how to take corners nice and tight. Starting out high, hitting just the bottom point, and then rolling through. That's were I've noticed a lot of races won or lost.

Otherwise, some of the other pro's around the shop have said:

Go slow, you'll be amazed at how fast you really go.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
Make marshalls ignore you.
Best advice ever !

Smokey
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I talked to Billy Fischer about this and this is what he said.

Personally, my goal is to be on the ground and on the throttle as much as possible to be getting to the next obstacle as fast as possible. If my brakes are set up properly, I should be able to let off the throttle at the latest possible moment before each corner or jump. In nitro, I tend to blip the throttle slightly to keep the clutch engaged. In electric, I'm smoother on the throttle so I don't break the tires loose. I think the major separation between the expert drivers and the sportsman / intermediate drivers is the fact that experts aren't scared of what may happen. Most people are so focused on not crashing that it ends up hurting their speed. I've grown to learn that if you are a second a lap slower and don't crash in a 10 lap race, the guy who is a second a lap faster than you and has 5-8 seconds worth of crashes is still going to beat you. Granted everybody's goal is to not crash, the people who dwell on that alone will never advance as far as they could.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.