Wiki Posts
Search

2004 ROAR Electric Off-Road Nationals Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Hodapp.

Very well said, i think 95% of people think that fully factory backed drivers live the life of luxury when in fact from what you said it aint all that great.

Well done on your efforts, are ya gonna keep running the B4??

Glenn

Australia
Old 06-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Greg - Sorry bro..didn't mean for it to come out the way it did. I went through and cleaned everything up.

Pros do it because they like racing, not because it's a good living.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

AOhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaahn!

Word up Robbers! Congrats!

And the 'system will always be down'!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Greg H. - Many Thanks for clearing things up! Good to see you participate and share your thoughts and opinions as well! It was an unexpected yet great surprise to see you running a B4 and BJ4! Any other tips or comments would be much appreciated for sure! No doubt Jason and the rest of the JConcepts crew were more than happy to have you on-board racing the BJ4 with them! To finish in the top 5 of the A-Main at the Nationals with probably a limited amount of practice time is truly an impressive feat! I really can't wait to get mine! Best of luck in school and with any of your future sponsors!

J.Filipow - Hey Bro! Hope your enjoying the fun and sun of Southern Cal! Good to hear the Big move is proving to be "rewarding"! Hope once your all settled and have more free time you get a chance to hit the tracks more often! I'm shooting you a quick PM with regards to my Minnreg questions! Take it easy J.!

Last edited by STEALTH; 06-15-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

J. - I didn't know you moved out here? Oh man!

When are you gonna come racin' with The Drake?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Ish- Word...I should get to your emails today.

Aaron-Yup! Been out here for two months...I'll be out with Drake soon enough! What tracks are you running at?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Greg H - Just wanted to say thanks from a LONG time ago. I got one of the first XX-4s ever made and had nothing but problems with it but you gave me some help back then and I wanted to say thanks.

So what is your favorite class right now? 4wd buggy looks like it could get big for next year.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

We go really wherever Adam goes. I think this weekend is the last Jimmy Babcock R/C Racing League race at Hot Rod, and then next weekend is the R/C Pro race at Hemet.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Suspended

Hodapp - You da' man!

GB
Old 06-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone heard from Brandon?

Did he survive the week of sun? Is he hitchhiking back home because he spent too much on tires?
Old 06-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Filipow- Hey dude, figured I'd say what's up. Colin and the guys built an offroad track that seems to be pretty cool, haven't been there yet, but will soon enough. Take it easy out there.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry I didn't realize there was a question on this thread I could answer.

Paul was the only X - 5 driver at the Nats. He had the very first production-molded graphite chassis. There was a minor problem with the chassis (two ejector pins in the mold were too long -- they're fixed now) which gave us some problems that meant we couldn't concentrate on set-ups and racing.

The car finished every battery pack it ran except one early in practice. Paul finished all four qualifiers in the mid-20s, qualified 28th and finished 27th.

As I write this Paul is finishing work on www.4wdrc.com with photos of the graphite chassis, and lap times from every lap, practrice, qualifying, and the main. When he kept it off the pipes, the car was fast.

We still expect to have the kits finished and ready to ship about the end of this month.

Next race for Paul and the X - 5 will be the Hot Rod Hobby Shoot-Out.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Hodapp
I ran the BJ 4x4 because Jason Ruona is a good friend of mine and I would like to help him with his new venture and take down the established old dogs of the industry. New blood in the Industry is good. I get bored easily and need to challenge myself in different ways. Oh and by the way, the car works great. Should have won the Nationals if it werent for some stupid luck.

G.Hodapp: It's great to hear you say you would like to "take down the established old dogs of the industry. New blood in the Industry is good." and not only hear you say it, but actually take some action towards it!

As for my humble opinion on electric 4WD.... don't get me wrong, I think Losi has done a Fantastic job of keeping the 4WD Class alive! I'm sure a lot of that credit has to go to Gil Losi Jr. who really pushed to advance 4WD by taking some rather big risks! That's Passion for ya! Now that being said.... Losi needs some serious competition as it will only help 4WD Off-Road racing. Seems like othre cars just don't put up enough of a fight against Losi (especially in the States). Schumacher does alright in Europe/Australia and Yokomo does just fine in Japan but at the last few IFMAR Worlds... Losi dominated with the combo of great car and drivers! It's really fine time that some much needed competition emerges to really kick start the class (again, especially in the U.S.) and I am glad that if Associated themselves can't do it.... at least the next Best thing to them is doing it! With JConcepts designing a car made up of a ton of Associated parts plus seeing a number of Associated Drivers using it at Big events..... Losi and Associated/JConcepts may just have found a new platform to start another heated rivalry..... and inject some much needed excitement into this awesome racing Class!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Guys, don't take this the wrong way but Americans seem to be too patriotic....you only really stick to American products...there is nothing wrong with this as such but until recently having only one 4WD manufacturer has meant that the class has suffered. Not enough of your drivers were game to try other products. Lets face it, you guys are largest country of racers....with enough support any class with work....but you must be willing to try a product made elsewhere (quickly putting on my bullet proof vest to fend off the flame about to come)
Old 06-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up 4WD World Wide

cannon: For sure no bullets will be coming from me.... to some extent you are right.... for some of us old timers though we did start with foreign kits! I started with 2 tamiya kits (Super Champ 2WD and a Hot Shot 4WD). Others used Kyosho and Yokomo kits back in the 80's. Anyway i think the main reason racers are hesitant to try foreign made kits right now is probably because of parts availability in the U.S.! No one wants to wait for parts even if they can buy them online. If your at a race the most convenient thing is to go to the local hobby shop by the track and buy the needed parts for replacement or an upgrade. Yokomo for years has made very good and competetive 4WDs (as has Schumacher) but parts are really not readily available and hanging on most of the local hobby shop walls. Another big reason is the American made Off-Road cars just consistently Win! I am sure we all have heard the saying: What WINS On Sunday SELLS On Monday! Huge companies like Tamiya and Kyosho can buy top drivers and spend millions on better R&D to be more competetive... yet they (Tamiya more than Kyosho) seem to choose the entry level market instead of going into the "serious racing" category. Losi and Associated have the top drivers in Off-Road as they know this helps sell their products even though both companies are much smaller (especially Associated who doesn't have Horizon Hobby, INC. backing it).

Last edited by STEALTH; 06-21-2004 at 09:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.