Wiki Posts
Search

LRP - Quantum Competition 2 - Offroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LRP - Quantum Competition 2 - Offroad

Hi,

What are your opinions/experiences with the new LRP Quantum Competion 2 for use in off-road racing... especially in low traction tracks. Is the quality better than the old Quantums i.e. do they fall apart in the first run like the old model.

Cheers,
Sam.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've run my quantam 2 for two weekends now. It runs great my question for anyone who can answer it is this. The speedo does not have a brake pot, you set drag brake to a certain number on the speedo. I've got mine maxed at setting number 5 and still had to put 4 ticks into the throttle trim to increase the drag brake enough for the track conditions. I don't like doing that to the throttle trim cuz it messes up your power curve. Has anyone else overcome this in some way?

racer-oZ
Old 04-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Mine runs like a dream, I have had mine since the worlds where I ran it for the first time and loved it ever since.

I don't use drag brakes, I don't like how they work, I just brake if needed manually.
you could try changing the brake strenght and the drag brake setting it might help it.

I just use all the default settings, model2, brake2, drag0. I have not even tried model4 with the 'engine mapping'
Old 04-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Tech Elite

racer-oz - The only radio adjustment that has an effect on the throttle curve is exponential. Trims are used to "center" the servo (throttle trim came from using servos for throttle) and affects nothing else on the application of throttle.

Throttle trim is the easiest and fastest way to add or take away drag brake.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

aaron, I know it doesn't affect the throttle like exponential does, but what it does do is increase the dead band so that you have to pull the throttle farther before it starts putting power to the motor. With a lrp 7.1 and the old quantaum the drag pot was plenty sensitive enough to never have to put any ticks in the throttle trim. I'm gonna play with it some more, but I may go back to the 7.1.

racer-oZ
Old 04-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Try a different number in the "punch mode" or map is seems to effect breaking as well. What I mean is try stock mode and see if it gives you a more powerful break you are looking for. I use a Q2 in a XXX-S and use drag brakes in stock mode over touring mode and it makes a difference.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

If you have a good radio it might have a feature that could eliminate the time when you apply throttle but just lessen the brake. I think its called servo advance or something like that, I know my 3pk has it. It automatically advances a servo to a certain point when any movement is transmitted to it, to over come slop in linkages. I cant see why it wouldnt work on a ESC.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:30 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/3pk-manual.pdf
page 26
Old 04-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

ae racer, I'll look at my manual, I have an m8. Thanks for the ideas guys.

racer-oZ