Search

Which one Hyper9e, RC8e, 8ighte or Ve8

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Which one Hyper9e, RC8e, 8ighte or Ve8

Hey everyone,
New to the forum. Running an ERBE and looking to try my hand at some racing at Nor-Cal if I can put together the right buggy and get in some practice time. Really stuck right now in which way to go so I will be running to RCX this weekend to get a better idea but I am looking for your input. I plan on dropping in a MM 2200 combo even if I get the 8ighte and I am hoping to pick up a radio probably either the DX3R or M11 because I need a left handed radio. Any input would be great because I am losing my mind going through this over and over again.
Thanks,
AJ
Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AJCohen
Hey everyone,
New to the forum. Running an ERBE and looking to try my hand at some racing at Nor-Cal if I can put together the right buggy and get in some practice time. Really stuck right now in which way to go so I will be running to RCX this weekend to get a better idea but I am looking for your input. I plan on dropping in a MM 2200 combo even if I get the 8ighte and I am hoping to pick up a radio probably either the DX3R or M11 because I need a left handed radio. Any input would be great because I am losing my mind going through this over and over again.
Thanks,
AJ
Do you have a some dice to roll?

What are the guys running locally? What can you get parts for readily?

Personally, I run an RC8Be and have been very happy with it, especially after switching to the Elite RC motor mount, but you'll find people who will say good and bad things about every kit out there.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

The best thing now is the hyper 9e, but anytime 808e comes I would expect 808 to be available and very little missing
Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i love my rc8e! 2650 mmm 4s 500mah.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mariano2cv
The best thing now is the hyper 9e, but anytime 808e comes I would expect 808 to be available and very little missing
ya i see those winning all the time... NOT the most popular is the losi 8ight 2.0 the 1.0 is about the same in the buggy tho.. The truggys are alot diffrent. The 8ight 2.0 is awesome the more worn out the easier to drive they get real loose.. The rc8 is good for indoor tracks it steers really far and fast, and can really turn. but the 8ight 2.0 is more durable and made here in the usa so parts arent to hard 2 come by!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would look at the Ve8 or the caster EX1.5R. The 9e would be my choice after these 2.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is the 808e? I am shying away from the Caster because they are very hard to find and get parts for unless I do all my shopping online and sometimes it is just fun taking a trip to the LHS and getting something taken care of. The Ve8 looks really solid and seems to be doing well but it seems that getting the MMM combo is hard to wedge in there so if I had made a choice right now my top 3 in order are the Hyper9e, the RC8Be and 8ight e. The only reason I would put the 8ight e last is because I don't want to deal with the drama of changing out the ESC to the MMM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've looked into these buggies too. As mentioned you'll find good and bad points about all of them. Here's a brief summary of what I've found of each one:

Losi 8ight
I'm not a big fan of Losis to be honest. Having owned an 8ight-T there were several things I didn't like about it including their plastics and minor stuff like sae hardware. Its durable though and handles fine but the same can be said for most of these 1/8s these days. Its also quite pricey compared to the rest which I don't think is justified.

AE RC8e
This version doesn't come with the updated steering but I doubt you'd notice that or that it would hold you back seeing as you're new to racing. It comes with plastic shocks which I've read has a tendency to blow out. Otherwise a nice buggy. Many choose to start with a RC8B and convert it but that costs considerably more. A good price for the e version.

Hobao Hyper 9e
Very well balanced due to its unique design. Needs a few things to make it durable such as hyper 8.5 arms, aluminum front chassis brace and a couple of other things which means additional cost. Other than those extra item issues a great buggy it seems.

HB Ve8
The main issue is that the plastic chassis has a tendency to crack. I've seen thiss first hand with the front clip completely broken off during a race. Aftermarket aluminum chassis will help this but that adds quite a bit of extra costs. Other reasons I'm not heavily considering the Ve8 is the very limited battery choices that fit and that most motors need their shaft cut which I don't want to do.

Caster EX1.5R
Seems overall one of the best choices. There aren't any durability issues I can find with the Caster buggies. The only problem is parts support. I prefer to be able to buy parts locally but no one carries caster here.

For the price of what some of these will cost you alss consider a converted MBX6 or XB808.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Its not a kit, but the HPI vorza is actully really nice. Every tuning part for a Hot Bodies D8 and the rest form the VE8 will fit. It comes with a MMM 2200kv in it. Just a thought, look threw the Vorza thread.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AJCohen
Hey everyone,
Thanks,
AJ
Choosing an 1/8th scale depends on several things. Parts availability should be a big factor. If your LHS doesn't carry a lot parts for what you buy, you will always have to buy online and wait several days for everything. See what the local guys are running at the tracks.

I own a Ve8 and an 8ight-E 2.0. I love the Ve8. It handles great. The only issue for it is durability. The chassis is a weak link. There are several new one's coming down the pike though. The 8ight is also a great buggy. Doesn't handle quite as well as the Ve8, but it's a tank. I've never broken a thing on it.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When i 1st bought my Ve8 ad a MMM/2200 combo in here and didnt have to wedge anything in there, s thats not an issue at all.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

i have both an rc8e (w/ aluminum upgraded shocks due to plastic ones being blown out) and a hyper9.
the rc8 has a mmm 2200 running 4s and the hyper9 has a tekin 2650 running 3s so weight and overall performance are different before i even get to the cars themselves. both are geared for roughly the same speed though.
i have noticed that while the rc8 tends to plow more through turns and the hyper9 is more 'pivot' like in its balance and turning capabilities, im still more comfortable w the rc8. the hyper 9 can feel twitchy even though in tight hairpins its by far better.
now granted in a few more runs i may get used to that twitchyness and say the hyper9 is by far better but for now, ide say you cant go wrong with either.
i would recommend going the rc8b then conversion route vs what i did and just getting the rc8e w the crap plastic big bores.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Hey man, I plan to start racing at Nor Cal too. I did some research too, and I just bought an RC8E (converted) from a guy on here. I should be getting it tomorrow. The main reason I went with the RC8E is because of parts availability. I'm not really focused on which one performs better right now since I'm a crappy driver anyway. I just need to be able to get parts ASAP when I crash my rig lol.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Tech Initiate

I don't have much experience with 1/8th buggies but I got the Hyper9e 4 months ago and I love it! As many have said it is very well balanced and jumps with ease. My friend has the VE8 and he says the only major problem is the plastic chassis.
-Mitch
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

get a rc8b... sell the chasis and all the oil stuff... then buy the tekno brushless conversion...with this you can use mechanical brakes.... this will increase your runtime....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.