Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric vs Nitro

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Electric vs Nitro/car tips/Pimped pics

What do you find better about one type over the other, in terms of speed and maintinance? Also, If you have any pimped out rides, please post them And if you have any good tips, please inform us lookers.

Last edited by pede; 03-29-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Maintenance - Electric is better.

Speed - I'm afraid Nitro is better.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

electric the best. coz its all precision driving every heat is only 5 or 6mins
Old 03-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fo sho

Im all for electric.
I think the only bad thing is with electric brushed motors is you have to change brushes and get the comm cut every so often. But , you dont have to worry about that if you run brushless
With nitro you have to spend money on gas
With electric your parents save you a trip to the lhs
Old 03-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

This is a long debate that has been going o njfor ever and comes down to personal preference.
Maintenance:
Depends at what level your involvemnet is. Racing takes a ton of maintenance cause you have to peak and cycle batteries (lots of maintenance), cut comms, replace brushes and breaking in, etc. A lot of work for a few minutes. At racing level you can't just run batteries through the car. If you're not racing, these tedious steps aren't that important and aren't as necessary, so they become less frequent. With Nitro, once the car is se up and working good (initial work is higher), the car will keep running well for a while (races can last an hour with only refills). This is a generalized sum up, and others might argue that there are more problems on either side, but not enough room to go over all of them here.
Speed:
Definately depends. Flat out staight line (if you race, this never happnes and isn't important), then the Nitro has the nod. On a 1/10th scale, 90% of the time will be faster with electric; it has to do with rthe track layout. Electrics have a lower CG giving them faster handling. In and out of turns, acceleration, etc. is better in an electric. So for tighter tracks with more turns, electric gets the nod.
Machismo factor:
Nitro makes a lot of noise, is dirty and gives you a differnet feeling. Some guys prefer it. Electric is clean (to work on, deal with, no gas fumes, etc.). and pretty quiet. If you tend to be a guy that prefers this (electric is more popular here), and prefer tweaaking and cleaning up less to wrench, go electric.
Both Nitro and Electric are great, and both have there pros and cons, its more about personality and style.
Costs are fairly equal. The initial costs are higher in Nitro (only slightly), but as you progress, your level of involvement will dictate the costs and it can get high for both. Electric has expensive chargers, battery bulb dischargers, soldering irons, batteries, ESC, lathes, dynos, etc. Nitro has expensive aftremarket motors, starter boxes, etc.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Brushless is cool, but isn't accepted enough for racing; no classes that are common, can't compete against fast mod motors, etc. Trips to the LHS willhappen in either and if you get serious with racing, you'll be taking trips often. Tires, shocks, bodies, etc. all need to be taken care of and replaced over time.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

depends on the class you choose.

If offroad is your think, I think the 1/8 scale buggy is a nice way to go with nitro.

For me, I run electric since you can have more places to actually run the vehicle and they are not as finicky to get going. once you have soldered everything up and connected everything correctly, then usually "go" . With nitro, its not always the case.

Its true you have to charge packs, cut comms, etc, but to me thats really not something that takes that long. If you are charging batteries with any good charger, you pretty much can leave it alone and work on something else.

As for cutting a comm, if you are a sportsman style racer, you may do that once or twice a week. I think that becomes an issue only when you are really trying to be at the top level where you are cutting the comm every race, etc.

Besides, with electric, you don't have to mess around with people's vehicles flaming out, unless the ESC goes "poof" of course

both have there place, but electric can be done in more places.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

This is basically what your own standards, and personal preferrences and opinion is.... what you think is what you think, and feel. i peronally like both, electric during winter, nitro during summer. and yes i beleive electric has better handling due to the lower CG.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Bud
Tech Master

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by edseb
Speed:
Definately depends. Flat out staight line (if you race, this never happnes and isn't important), then the Nitro has the nod.

Not trying to burst your bubble here, but the 10th scale speed record is held by Steve Pond (RCCA Magazine) with an electric car. I don't remember the exact speed, but it's well over 100 mph.

Bud
Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, but we're talking about typical rc. I'm sure he's not looking in to specialized areas in RC. We're not talking 1/5 scale, or drag, etc. We're just trying to make common comparisons.
Like I said, if racing, you'll never really go in a staright line for very long on a real track.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

And, as far as fast, 8th scale Nitro Pan cars will smoke anything in a race if the track is right. But for common racing (1/10th TC), electric gets the nod for 90% of the time.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

heres why i like electric against nitro
electric-indoor and outdoor(i dont like racing while im sweating my pants off)
nitro-mostly outdoor only
Old 03-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Bud the speed was like 111, or 115mph...i'm pretty sure.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

our track has indoor nitro during the summer but the smell kills you.

i prefer electric if it doesnt work much easier to diagnose and fix then nitro. you dont have to tune it when the weather changes. worry about storing the gas and having the gas leak out of the car is any fuel was left in the exhaust. i have nitro cars 1/10 and 1/8 and yeah with some of them (dual exhaust) you can get that realistic look and its cool. so as mentioned about 5 million times its all preference.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

I think it comes down to if you want noise or if you don't. And what you LHS supports more of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.