Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree80Likes

Durango DEX210 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I probably could use your part to take the dimensions since it doesn't seem too bent up.
I never try doing a part without having the original. Since their are always little measurements i some times forgot to ask and most people dont want to be bug 24/7 for a specific measurement of something lol.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
I probably could use your part to take the dimensions since it doesn't seem too bent up.
I never try doing a part without having the original. Since their are always little measurements i some times forgot to ask and most people dont want to be bug 24/7 for a specific measurement of something lol.
Welp in the spirit of experimentation I think I'm willing to give it a shot The exotek rep said he'd get back to me by Thursday so I should know then if I have a legit spare or not. I did find a used one in a parts lot but it was sold as is with everything else so I'm crossing my fingers that it's actually in good shape.

I'd pay shipping and material costs. So long as the material costs are reasonable. I've never actually looked into aluminum sheets.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:27 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
From the looks of it it's pretty close though like you said no good without the original to compare. Do you think my banged up bulkhead would be good enough for you to get the dimensions? I'd send that one if I manage to get something from Exotek or if my WTB thread pulls through.

I could also try to take measurements here for you. But my hobby caliper might not be exact enough. It always seems off by .25mm or so
If you are going to try and do a measurement, the other way which I have some success is to do a 2D scan of the part on a regular scanner. Have a ruler beside it for scaling purpose. Then we can try tracing or measuring from there using CAD.

Speed Chaser, you're using Solidworks?

CAD the file and get it CNC overseas at some small volume... cheaper than local CNC... at least that is what I found when I was designing my crawler chassis.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jcr
If you are going to try and do a measurement, the other way which I have some success is to do a 2D scan of the part on a regular scanner. Have a ruler beside it for scaling purpose. Then we can try tracing or measuring from there using CAD.

Speed Chaser, you're using Solidworks?

CAD the file and get it CNC overseas at some small volume... cheaper than local CNC... at least that is what I found when I was designing my crawler chassis.
That's a pretty clever way of doing the measurements never even though of that . But if it helps speed up the process I'd definitely send the part to him instead.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

jcr yes i use solidworks, it is what i am used to. If i make the part i will make it into different format including stl so who ever has a 3d printer can test it. I never try the 2d method you mentioned it sounds interesting. I could see it working great on shock towers or chassis.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 PM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Speed Chaser
jcr yes i use solidworks, it is what i am used to. If i make the part i will make it into different format including stl so who ever has a 3d printer can test it. I never try the 2d method you mentioned it sounds interesting. I could see it working great on shock towers or chassis.
Yes flat pieces tends to work better. But if you take multiple scan of multiple surfaces you might be able to build up the part. just a little tricky doing the image alignments.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Yea i see it being great when their is no part at hand like prop making. I also found this process interesting for scanning.
(Link)
But call me lazy it always easierto have the part at hand lol.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jcr
Yes flat pieces tends to work better. But if you take multiple scan of multiple surfaces you might be able to build up the part. just a little tricky doing the image alignments.
All I can say is if this works, I think we should do gear covers next I can provide an exotek gear cover for reference. Gearboxes would be awesome too but I believe you'd need to be a CAD expert to manage that design
Old 08-22-2017, 06:01 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EbbTide
All I can say is if this works, I think we should do gear covers next I can provide an exotek gear cover for reference. Gearboxes would be awesome too but I believe you'd need to be a CAD expert to manage that design
Gear cover might be easier and can easily be printed out from 3D printer since it does not take any real stress like the other components.

for RC body, I would recommend just reverse mold one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOAk0pgsGY

obviously i have been looking way too much into this stuff in the past....side business anyone?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jcr
Gear cover might be easier and can easily be printed out from 3D printer since it does not take any real stress like the other components.

for RC body, I would recommend just reverse mold one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOAk0pgsGY

obviously i have been looking way too much into this stuff in the past....side business anyone?
Actually one of our fellow Durango fans, Alan, is working on getting bodies produced by Blue Groove RC. He's collected pretty much every 1/10 Durango body and will be giving them to Blue Groove to replicate for all of us
Old 08-22-2017, 06:48 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

There is also a company in the UK that can do it as long as we have the volume. And they sell them pretty cheap.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jcr
There is also a company in the UK that can do it as long as we have the volume. And they sell them pretty cheap.
Yeah that's right there I believe they go by Penguin Design or something like that. I've got one of their bodies unpainted. My usual painter has ghosted me so I'm kinda trying to find someone new lol
Old 08-22-2017, 08:23 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

I got from Home | RC Car Accessories | UK | Kamtec Models
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wish I had 3D modeled everything when I had it. I've been a 3D CAD engineer for over a decade.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:18 AM
jcr
Tech Regular

Still tempting for me to pick up a used Kinect 360 Cable, cables and try building a 3D scanner out of it. There are enough information on the net for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.