Search

buggy wheels on a truggy

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default buggy wheels on a truggy

Ignoring that the final drive ratio would be quite changed (which can be compensated for) and that it would look strange, are there any performance disadvantages to running buggy wheels on a truggy? We always seem to want to shed weight and this would seem to shed a good bit. Most competition-grade truggy tires are rounded making the actual contact patch about the same as a buggy tire's. Some ground clearance is lost but on a fairly smooth track that shouldn't be a problem. I'm just curious.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You will also lose significant width, which would cause problems on tight corners that a truggy can get through much easier than a buggy. The insides of truggy tires bite hard going around corners because of their large surface area that is almost completely lost with a buggy tire.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you're looking at shedding wheel weight, you can look at the Proline VTR series meats.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (98%+)

yeah the width would be sacrificed.. i would think it would make it faster though.. less rotating mass eh?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Just drive a buggy then...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also check out the proline V3 tires and wheels, they are a little taller and wider then standard buggy wheels. Look up Revolver v3 m3 ect...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My buggy seems to turn better than my truggy even on tight corners, so I'm not sure if tire width is much of a factor. If that was such a disadvantage, I would think wider tires would have come to fruition in buggy use also, but they seem to do fine with the current narrow tires.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run the wide buggy sets in rear only sometimes. Sometimes it helps sometimes it hurts lap times. Really dry and dusty is when I find they work. VP-PRO sells full sets of premounts with 2 standard for the front and r wides rear. Also some buggies you cant use all wides anyway they hit the arms or steering TB's. All wides would be something to try in truggy but you would have to gear up to compensate for the top speed lost.