Wiki Posts
Search

Dx3r vs dx3s

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Lazy? Some of you guys may have hours and hours to devote to your pre-race wrenching... I don't. Most of my wrenching happens track side, on race day. The DX3S is one tool of many in my tool box, it just happens to have some great additional features. Again, lipos age, and degrade over time. I can't expect them to perform the same every time. So the added benefit of telemetry... critical data I need, in real time, and you want to call it... "lazy" ?

I'm not saying the DX3R isn't bad ass... it is. I'm saying you shouldn't knock the DX3S, for what it is.
Depends on how serious about racing you are. Ask the top guys at any track the amount of prep time that they spend on their vehicles each week. You're probably losing time looking down at your transmitter for the data during a race anyway. I know from a nitro perspective, tuning by temp is not effective. Every engine/cooling head combination is different and one motor to the next will like to be run at different ranges. I think more people are starting to see this with brushless motors also where timing advances are causing people to over-gear their vehicles. I believe in paying attention to the vehicle itself and listening to the rpm range on the straights, quickness out of corners, etc. in determining what I need to do with gears, etc. For the backyard basher, the telemetry may help those just getting into the hobby. But, check out the losi forums and see how many of those people are having problems keeping the telemetry working.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on how serious about racing you are.
I don't think using telemetry makes me less "serious". It's a tool, plain and simple. I actually don't look at it during a typical race. I do look at it when I have to false pit during a longer mixed BL/Nitro race. It allows me to decide when to swap packs, or if need be, pull the car off the track.

Ask the top guys at any track the amount of prep time that they spend on their vehicles each week.
I don't need to; I know some guys that spend countless hours fine tuning their rigs. That's cool, they like to do that. I'm a racer, not a builder or mechanic. That doesn't mean I don't maintain my rigs. They generally stay in good shape, and only need repairs if I get nailed or make a big boo boo.

I believe in paying attention to the vehicle itself and listening to the rpm range on the straights, quickness out of corners, etc. in determining what I need to do with gears, etc.
yup, me too

For the backyard basher, the telemetry may help those just getting into the hobby.
Why wouldn't you want to know the temps at any given time? If the radio with certain features appeals to me more than a more expensive, race oriented radio, does that mean all those club races I participated in don't count?

But, check out the losi forums and see how many of those people are having problems keeping the telemetry working.
I have no doubt some of these things break. But I haven't seen any break at our track. Maybe the locals here treat their radios differently...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does the SR3000 receiver work with the DX3R?
If so what are some other receivers what work well with the R, or better ?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The idea that if you race you need the dx3r and that the dx3s is only for sport is silly. I love my "s" and all I do is race. I'm not a basher. I see just as many "s" radios at the track as I do the "r", if not more. I can tell it's a bit slower on the bench than my Nomadio React (best and fastest radio ever if they would have kept supporting it...) but on the track, I can't feel the difference at all.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brushlessboy16
I have the Dx2s coming for xmas.

Moving between a dx2.0 to the dx2s should b a nice upgrade

Im a 1/8th scale brushles guy race on weekends and bash every other time,

I have seen the dx3s and used them too... few things that I have noted.

-Temp sensor is usually off, needs a way to be calibrated..
- Rpm sensor is nice but electric doesnt NEED it.

Is there any way to use the voltage sensor to read main battery voltage from a 4s battery. Because reading a receiver battery voltage (the bec) does me no good.
I just made the change to electric 1/8 buggy and found that I need third channel mixing for mechanical brakes. That in itself would require the R but I'm fine using my 3PKS/Spektrum.

I also do Rock Crawling which needs a 3 pos 3rd channel.

If I do get a new radio it would be the R but I still don't like the feel of it, it seems cheap compared to the Futaba.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AreCee
I just made the change to electric 1/8 buggy and found that I need third channel mixing for mechanical brakes. That in itself would require the R but I'm fine using my 3PKS/Spektrum.

I also do Rock Crawling which needs a 3 pos 3rd channel.

If I do get a new radio it would be the R but I still don't like the feel of it, it seems cheap compared to the Futaba.
Actually, you can circumvent the lack of 3rd channel/throttle mixing with one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

i got a R it's so good i love it but the S is for bashing the R is for racing
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Actually, you can circumvent the lack of 3rd channel/throttle mixing with one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
Umm, yes, I do know about Y harnesses with reverse but that is not even close to true mixing with adjustable parameters for each channel. It is a bandage appraoch at best.

Close but no cigar. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

I am a hardcore racer. I have owned both. Currently have the 3s.
3s advantages:
telemetry
extra receiver out of the box

3r advantages:
mixing capabilties
better case/workmanship

Everything else is a wash
Yet again, superhuman freaks who think they can sense the difference in 5.5 ms Especially in off road. It is like carpet oval racers who think they can tell if their cars are off .05 from lap to lap without looking at a printout from timing equipment.
Both radios are extremely user friendly.
If you break an antenna on either of these then it is operator error.
Neither are backlit however they are both have displays easy on the eyes.
If you can you use more then 10 model memory slots then you are in the extreme minority. It is like having a computer with 360 gig of hard drive space. How many people can actually fill one of these up. (Comp. geeks slow down, this is a minority comparison.)

Get the one that best fits your needs and wants.
I switched to 1/8 electric this past summer and wanted to monitor my motor temps for gearing purposes. Did not need mixing as I did not have mech brakes. 3s did all I asked of it.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AreCee
Umm, yes, I do know about Y harnesses with reverse but that is not even close to true mixing with adjustable parameters for each channel. It is a bandage appraoch at best.

Close but no cigar. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Actually, it can. It's adjustable, and all additional adjustments are made mechanically with the brake bias. I use one in my 60 size U-Can-Do 3D, works great, not a band aid. Adding brake bias to a BL 8th scale is more or less a band aid in and of itself.

Good advice here:

Get the one that best fits your needs and wants.
I switched to 1/8 electric this past summer and wanted to monitor my motor temps for gearing purposes. Did not need mixing as I did not have mech brakes. 3s did all I asked of it.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bajaboy5b
i got a R it's so good i love it but the S is for bashing the R is for racing
Again, in reference my post above. This is bollocks. There is no reason you can't race with the S. I never bash and only race and my S suits me well. I see many more S's at the track than I do the R
Old 01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

The only thing the 3r does that the 3s doesn't is the mixing of channels and different model memory #.

All of you bench top racers that think you are faster with the 3r then the 3s you better go wax your bodies so you can get that extra .002 of sec advantage.