Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slash tire difference...front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Slash tire difference...front and rear?

The rear tires on my Slash are wearing down quick but the fronts still look fairly new. I just bash around with it but I do a lot of driving on asphalt too. Question is...I want to switch my front and rear tires to even the wear, but is there a difference between them? The rear wheels say "rear" and the fronts say "front". Also, my LHS sells front only and rear only but they look identical. Whats the difference if any? Thanks for any info...
Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Think there is an offset in the wheels and thats the only diff. Look at a parts listing and you'll see same number listed for the tires and inserts with diff p/n just for the wheels. There is another p/n for them pre-glued and these will be fronts or rears. I know when I wanted diff wheels for my Slash, I had to get F&R wheels with diff offsets to look right.

If you swap, the rears will stick out too far on the front and the fronts will be too far in on the rear. Make sense??
Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks...it does make sense. I did swap them and did find a small difference in the offset by some wheel rubbing on the body. I did find another company that makes wheels for the Slash and the rear offset is .100" difference. I switched them back and will just have to buy new tires and not be so hard on them. Thanks again...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Rookie

If you look on the front of the rim and compare the front verses the back, the front has a deeper inset for the nut then the back but other then that you can swap them easily
Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I swapped front to rear on my son's slash. Works just fine.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If you dont just want to buy a set of rear premounted wheels and tires there are ways to remove the tires from the wheels so you can rotate them. Its a pain though I would just buy a set of rear wheels and tires. The only way you can do it without ruining the foams is to cut them off with an exacto knife and you can remount them. Now if you buy some new foams you can boil the tires off. Like I said they arent much $ so your better of just replacing the rears.