Wiki Posts
Search

RC8E

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default RC8E

I've been drooling over a FT rc8e kit that has been sitting at my LHS. I think I might just add this one to the collection. but I have a couple questions before I jump ship!

1)does the motor mount except M3 or M4 hardware?
2)what are the battery tray dimensions?
3)what is biggest physical size battery can I fit under the body with 4s configuration?
4)what plastic spurs fit the center diff besides the one AE has? losi, kyosho?
5) someone told me the rc8's had problems with the diffs blowing up when people were first starting to convert over to electric has these problem been resolved since?
6)gearing for mmm/2200kv combo?
7) loose/blown track set up?
8)recommended servo? i have a JR DS8711 in my 8T I would like to something with a little more speed but still has the torque to back it up.

thanks a million!
-Nick
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

anyone?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

The lack of response is probably a lack of your effort to do a search. There is a ton of info on this site regarding that car. Just search for RC8e.

1. M3. I've never seen a motor that used M4 screws.
2. Don't know but easy to find on AE website or search on here or measure one at hobby shop.
3. Again don't know. Different Bodies will be different. I'd say 4s 5000Mah
4. Kyosho has a 46T.
5. That was using the Kyosho plastic gear. you just had to ship diff properly.
6. Somewhat track dependent. I run a 46 spur and 19 pinion on my RC8E
7. Check AE website for setup sheets.
8. I personally run airtronics and the new AE XP servos in all my vehicles.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just as Robbie said, look on RC10 website for setup tips. I am also building my RC8e and I am using the worlds setup to try. I don't think you will have any problem mounting any battery you want. Which if you are racing I don't see any purpose using any larger then a 5c.
The one thing I would do based on all the RC8 talk is make the steering mod. Also buy the big bore if you have not already. Also based on what I hear from some local guys that has ran the buggy. Buy King headz B and D blocks so the hing pins don't come out. Also go Al. on the top plate, I hear this is also a weak point on the car. Not sure about the ratio you will have to play around with that as this class is new and every track is different.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

will the Losi 8 plastic spur gear work on the RC8E?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen10
will the Losi 8 plastic spur gear work on the RC8E?
I have no idea. I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

AE is now offering three plastic spur gears.

#89519 - 45T
#89520 - 48T
#89521 - 50T

Check out the RC8 parts on the Associated Site for details. They also have a variety of pinions from 12T to 17T. They should be available shortly.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Sylvéris

Originally Posted by nv529
I've been drooling over a FT rc8e kit that has been sitting at my LHS. I think I might just add this one to the collection. but I have a couple questions before I jump ship!

1)does the motor mount except M3 or M4 hardware?
2)what are the battery tray dimensions?
3)what is biggest physical size battery can I fit under the body with 4s configuration?
4)what plastic spurs fit the center diff besides the one AE has? losi, kyosho?
5) someone told me the rc8's had problems with the diffs blowing up when people were first starting to convert over to electric has these problem been resolved since?
6)gearing for mmm/2200kv combo?
7) loose/blown track set up?
8)recommended servo? i have a JR DS8711 in my 8T I would like to something with a little more speed but still has the torque to back it up.

thanks a million!
-Nick
Hi Nick, I will try to answer you but I'm French and my English is poor !!!
1 - YES : of course, there are 3 mm and 4 mm motor mount screws ! Then be carefull, the AE kit ( I have it ) accept only 3 mm motor screws !!! I have a Neu with 4mm holes then...

2 - This is a link :
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=709
I use two of those Reedy Lipos and you can see at this link the dimensions you want ! Just look at the picture of an advertising about SC8E RC8E... you will see those Lipos in place and...

3 - it's the biggest you can fit under the body, but the "E" body Associated, I don't know what's about an other brand ( JCONCEPT...)

4 - Then, now ( or nearly ) you can find the plastic spurs from Associated :
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...&category=NULL
There are 46T and 48T sizes for instant !!! But not sure 48T will be for RC8, maybe the truggy !

5 - There was a problem before with some unofficials motor mounts and Kyosho spurs but, if you go with your AE motor mount, there's not any problem. I have the RC monster motor mount and it's very well designed, not any problem, I have one because of my 4mm holes !!!

6 - I will let other guys answer you, because my Neu 1515 is a 2700kv, but I think you can try ( with 4s ) 15/46 or 14/46 but I don't know the MMM 2200 motor...

7 - Impossible for me to answer you because my set-ups just work for me, any one else can drive my RC8 because of the steering !!! I have a car that oversteers and my set ups are made for that. But I will place my set-ups on my website : ( just wait a little, my site is under construction)

http://sylveris.free.fr/serie2.html

8 - I use a Associated (Ace) DS1015, but it's the first time I try another brand as Futaba. This servo is really fast but you can find many brands, and it's very difficult to give you a real comment !

I hope this will help you, good luck for your conversion !
Send us some pictures...

SYLVERIS

Last edited by Sylvéris; 04-06-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I will comment on the servo. I recommend Futaba. I have tried Airtronics, and JR Racing. I am convinced the Digital Brushless Futaba BLS 351 is the best servo I have ever owned. It is fast and has 208 in/oz of torque at 6 volts. more than enough for steering an electric 1/8th scale.

Also, IMO if you have a motor that accepts 3mm screws use it. I do not see a reason to drill out to 4mm screws. I have used 3mm on a Medusa 2000kv with a 4 cell lipo for several months without any problems.