XXX-t help

Old 04-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default XXX-t help

ok im totally new to electric but i have been drivin/racing for about a year so im not a complete moron..

but anyway i just picked this xxx-t up. i didnt race it last night but my buddy did and the clutch went out on him during the main, no big deal.

i got new pads. i installed it and my wheels are really tight to turn. if i roll it on the ground the wheels dont turn, i checked the install over again and it was all fine. i loosened the slipper almost all the way and now my wheels turn fine but just from the look of it, the slipper is to loose. anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

LOL, the clutch went out. Too much nitro racing!

Are you talking about the pinion/spur gear, slipper pads, or the actual transmission? How many turns out is the slipper?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

it could be really tight gear mesh between the pinion and spur
Old 04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
LOL, the clutch went out. Too much nitro racing!

Are you talking about the pinion/spur gear, slipper pads, or the actual transmission? How many turns out is the slipper?
ha ha, im talkin the slipper pads. they went out. i replace those. idk how many turns out but there is like 2-3 threads showing at the end

im leaving for work right now, but i will get a pic/video when i get off unless someone has an idea

Originally Posted by not home
it could be really tight gear mesh between the pinion and spur
but why would it be fine on the old pads and change on the new ones when the mesh was never changed,
Old 04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I don't think that the slipper pads would "go out".. if it's too loose you can glaze them. You just need to scrape the glaze off with a hobby knife and they are all good... after many many times of doing this, they might need to be replaced.

As for the wheels locking up when you tighten the slipper down, you may have melted the tranny case.. usually it's caused by a bearing on the top shaft going out. It typically melts the case and usually the plastic spacer on top shaft next to the bearing as well. What ends up happening is that the back plate of the slipper assembly rubs against the case... locking up the drivetrain.

That would be my guess anyways... I'd pull apart the tranny case and take a look!

Jerome
Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i always run bearings on the opposite side of my top shaft gear! haha
Check the tranny on the inside.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 164 (100%+)

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Tech Champion

ok guys, im at a lost now.

i tore it apart like u guys said, nothing looked bad. the only bearing that looked like may need replacing is the bearing that sits in the case and the slipper rod(idk if thats the right term) sits on. but i couldnt get it out. so i said screw it ill get a new case and bearings since one of the screws broke part of the case anyway.

But i looked at the diff. and it seemed really tight. i unscrewed it and nothing was lodged in there and nothing seemed abnormal, i screwed it back together but the screw never tightened, idk if its supposed to or not. i got it all back together. i turned it on, and now when i hit the throttle my right wheel spins slowly and the left doesnt spin at all.

idk what to do. i set it aside and came to ask you guys, im willing to learn and i dont really wanna take it to the lhs unless i really have to because i would rather do it myself. any help would be appreciated .
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
I don't think that the slipper pads would "go out".. if it's too loose you can glaze them. You just need to scrape the glaze off with a hobby knife and they are all good... after many many times of doing this, they might need to be replaced.

As for the wheels locking up when you tighten the slipper down, you may have melted the tranny case.. usually it's caused by a bearing on the top shaft going out. It typically melts the case and usually the plastic spacer on top shaft next to the bearing as well. What ends up happening is that the back plate of the slipper assembly rubs against the case... locking up the drivetrain.

That would be my guess anyways... I'd pull apart the tranny case and take a look!

Jerome

O and btw, they were glazed. i ran the slipper loose(didnt know it). i decided to just replace them. i got it used from a reputable local guy who barley used it and all he did was race it off road once and onroad a couple times. it was sitting for months b4 i got it if that changes anything
Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You might need to change the diff screw/nut. Sounds like it might have stripped out. It should be able to tighten down.

Being new to 1/10th scale electric and ball differentials, you might want to download the manual off of Losi's website. They have all versions of the XXX-T manuals available there. It is a well put together book and in the back they also explain how to adjust both the diff and slipper.

Jerome
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

also check your diff rings for rough spots, and if pieces are missing. Very rare to happen, but it can.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by losi_racer
O and btw, they were glazed. i ran the slipper loose(didnt know it). i decided to just replace them. i got it used from a reputable local guy who barley used it and all he did was race it off road once and onroad a couple times. it was sitting for months b4 i got it if that changes anything
Glazing the slipper isn't good, and neither is not going through a used truck after buying it. Running "on-road a couple of times" is the roughest thing you can do to an offroader tranny and can do terrible things to the diff. Like somebody else, to start it now sounds like you stripped the diff nut at the very least and I would just get a new diff or rebuild kit and start fresh.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lightin'
Glazing the slipper isn't good, and neither is not going through a used truck after buying it. Running "on-road a couple of times" is the roughest thing you can do to an offroader tranny and can do terrible things to the diff. Like somebody else, to start it now sounds like you stripped the diff nut at the very least and I would just get a new diff or rebuild kit and start fresh.
ok, i looked but maybe i missed it, where are the rebuild kits or a new diff?? im new to runnin electric and i ran the slipper loose to get used to it but i guess i ran it to loose. i got the buggy for 100 bucks and i got 2 lipos, 3 1/2 sets of tires, and 2 bodys. so i can say it was a good buy. even tho it was used it looks new. me and a buddy are going to look at the diff, hes been racing electric truck for a while so hopefully he can point me in the right direction. i new diff still wont hurt tho