R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default XXX-t help

ok im totally new to electric but i have been drivin/racing for about a year so im not a complete moron..

but anyway i just picked this xxx-t up. i didnt race it last night but my buddy did and the clutch went out on him during the main, no big deal.

i got new pads. i installed it and my wheels are really tight to turn. if i roll it on the ground the wheels dont turn, i checked the install over again and it was all fine. i loosened the slipper almost all the way and now my wheels turn fine but just from the look of it, the slipper is to loose. anyone have any ideas?
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,771
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

LOL, the clutch went out. Too much nitro racing!

Are you talking about the pinion/spur gear, slipper pads, or the actual transmission? How many turns out is the slipper?
__________________
Losi 8ight 1.5 ~ 8T ~ XXX Buggy ~ Mini-Baja

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Milwaukee
Posts: 2,731
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

it could be really tight gear mesh between the pinion and spur
__________________
Mike Adamec
TEAM HACK-HACK OR BE HACKED
Trackside Hobbies
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
LOL, the clutch went out. Too much nitro racing!

Are you talking about the pinion/spur gear, slipper pads, or the actual transmission? How many turns out is the slipper?
ha ha, im talkin the slipper pads. they went out. i replace those. idk how many turns out but there is like 2-3 threads showing at the end


im leaving for work right now, but i will get a pic/video when i get off unless someone has an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by not home View Post
it could be really tight gear mesh between the pinion and spur
but why would it be fine on the old pads and change on the new ones when the mesh was never changed,
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
JeromeK99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA - USA
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I don't think that the slipper pads would "go out".. if it's too loose you can glaze them. You just need to scrape the glaze off with a hobby knife and they are all good... after many many times of doing this, they might need to be replaced.

As for the wheels locking up when you tighten the slipper down, you may have melted the tranny case.. usually it's caused by a bearing on the top shaft going out. It typically melts the case and usually the plastic spacer on top shaft next to the bearing as well. What ends up happening is that the back plate of the slipper assembly rubs against the case... locking up the drivetrain.

That would be my guess anyways... I'd pull apart the tranny case and take a look!

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
action135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Murphysboro, Il
Posts: 932
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i always run bearings on the opposite side of my top shaft gear! haha
Check the tranny on the inside.
__________________
Ashton Brewer
First Bank & Trust Murphysboro
Alpha R/c Raceway
action135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
gelacuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: illinois
Posts: 1,705
Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)
Default

.....
gelacuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

ok guys, im at a lost now.

i tore it apart like u guys said, nothing looked bad. the only bearing that looked like may need replacing is the bearing that sits in the case and the slipper rod(idk if thats the right term) sits on. but i couldnt get it out. so i said screw it ill get a new case and bearings since one of the screws broke part of the case anyway.

But i looked at the diff. and it seemed really tight. i unscrewed it and nothing was lodged in there and nothing seemed abnormal, i screwed it back together but the screw never tightened, idk if its supposed to or not. i got it all back together. i turned it on, and now when i hit the throttle my right wheel spins slowly and the left doesnt spin at all.

idk what to do. i set it aside and came to ask you guys, im willing to learn and i dont really wanna take it to the lhs unless i really have to because i would rather do it myself. any help would be appreciated .
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
I don't think that the slipper pads would "go out".. if it's too loose you can glaze them. You just need to scrape the glaze off with a hobby knife and they are all good... after many many times of doing this, they might need to be replaced.

As for the wheels locking up when you tighten the slipper down, you may have melted the tranny case.. usually it's caused by a bearing on the top shaft going out. It typically melts the case and usually the plastic spacer on top shaft next to the bearing as well. What ends up happening is that the back plate of the slipper assembly rubs against the case... locking up the drivetrain.

That would be my guess anyways... I'd pull apart the tranny case and take a look!

Jerome

O and btw, they were glazed. i ran the slipper loose(didnt know it). i decided to just replace them. i got it used from a reputable local guy who barley used it and all he did was race it off road once and onroad a couple times. it was sitting for months b4 i got it if that changes anything
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
JeromeK99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA - USA
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

You might need to change the diff screw/nut. Sounds like it might have stripped out. It should be able to tighten down.

Being new to 1/10th scale electric and ball differentials, you might want to download the manual off of Losi's website. They have all versions of the XXX-T manuals available there. It is a well put together book and in the back they also explain how to adjust both the diff and slipper.

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
action135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Murphysboro, Il
Posts: 932
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

also check your diff rings for rough spots, and if pieces are missing. Very rare to happen, but it can.
__________________
Ashton Brewer
First Bank & Trust Murphysboro
Alpha R/c Raceway
action135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
O and btw, they were glazed. i ran the slipper loose(didnt know it). i decided to just replace them. i got it used from a reputable local guy who barley used it and all he did was race it off road once and onroad a couple times. it was sitting for months b4 i got it if that changes anything
Glazing the slipper isn't good, and neither is not going through a used truck after buying it. Running "on-road a couple of times" is the roughest thing you can do to an offroader tranny and can do terrible things to the diff. Like somebody else, to start it now sounds like you stripped the diff nut at the very least and I would just get a new diff or rebuild kit and start fresh.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
Tech Champion
 
losi_racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: mesa,az
Posts: 6,470
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Glazing the slipper isn't good, and neither is not going through a used truck after buying it. Running "on-road a couple of times" is the roughest thing you can do to an offroader tranny and can do terrible things to the diff. Like somebody else, to start it now sounds like you stripped the diff nut at the very least and I would just get a new diff or rebuild kit and start fresh.
ok, i looked but maybe i missed it, where are the rebuild kits or a new diff?? im new to runnin electric and i ran the slipper loose to get used to it but i guess i ran it to loose. i got the buggy for 100 bucks and i got 2 lipos, 3 1/2 sets of tires, and 2 bodys. so i can say it was a good buy. even tho it was used it looks new. me and a buddy are going to look at the diff, hes been racing electric truck for a while so hopefully he can point me in the right direction. i new diff still wont hurt tho
__________________

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC news in SABAH! jfc_tech Malaysian R/C Racers 5426 01-27-2017 11:21 PM
Losi XXX-S TSR6 Electric On-Road 14329 01-26-2015 08:59 PM
How many (xxx-s owners) NSantana Electric On-Road 6 02-03-2006 07:29 PM
help with xxx-nt help me mr losi!!!! peahbeez Electric Off-Road 8 04-13-2005 07:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:23 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net