Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Academy SB pro carbon edition

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Im actually just looking to get back into racing after stopping for a year to finish getting my degree. I bought a V1.0 pro right before the v2.0 came out. The buggy is a tank,I've only ever broken an arm and the diff outdrives. and its seen some pretty knarly crashes cause I bash it as well as race. BTW did anyone ever find a solution to the outdrives breaking, cause of over-exstension of the suspension?

-- shhhhh , I just checked the MRC website. From there if you need it you can DL the parts list and when you search for the part numbers most of the essential parts for the V1.0 car are still orderable and the MRC service is really good when it comes to ordering parts. Ill probably be ordering there entire inventory though

Last edited by mrrc; 04-11-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

mrrc, go to the local hardware store, take and outdrive with you....find a brass compression fitting (plumbing section) that fits snug. isnt pretty, but works awesome.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I raced one of the SB Pro v1 cars for a couple of seasons a few years back. It was a very competitive vehicle after making a few modifications that were listed in the SB Pro FAQ that is floating around in PDF format. The chassis modification made a huge difference in how the car handled. I also put AE B4 shocks all the way around on it. The CVD's wore quickly under the power of a 4.5 brushless system so I also made the change over to the TC3 "O" driveshafts.

As stated the car is a tank. I never broke a part on mine. Just wore out a bunch of parts.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Default academy pro sport carbon

On sale at Amain hobbies....189.00

Last edited by culleny; 05-26-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default upgrade sheet

Originally Posted by Cain
Thanks for compliment. I would JK Racing though is a better source on that as he owned both vehicles at the same time and could compare what fit and what didn't.

Now, to the original question, I would first say what you are inquiring about for the SB Pro carbon V1 aren't the items to be too concerned about. The main fault of the SB V1 series was the where on the outdrives. Some wore faster than others. I had a set go pretty quick, and then another set that just lasted and lasted.

The plastic on the V1 series actually has more give than the V2 Pro. This is a good thing if you are starting out as it made the car a tank, but, if you need a more direct feel, go with the V2 Pro.

For $70, it doesn't sound like a bad deal if he has spares for it. I personally though would only go for it IF the car has an upgraded motor mount system similar to the Kose system. Also make sure it has the newer cvd setup as well.

I think I still have a cheat sheet that everyone online collaborated on to make with great info on upgrades and tricks with the V1 series.

Do you still have this upgrade sheet
Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Im rebuilding 3 of these cars , both the carbon and CF version..also finding out most parts interchange from the V1 to the V2 or visa versa, good tip re the outdrive mod! and yes some have broke....LMK if ya wanna see some pix
Old 09-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Just picked one of these up on the cheap, the guy said that he doesn't remmber having issues except over heating. Most likely geared to the moon? 6.5BL Novak The one I have is SB Sport carbon Limited edition II and also the box says includes new style axle and hub assemblies. I would like to see the pics of the mod and also find that set-up sheet. THX in advance
Old 09-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drive2survive
Im rebuilding 3 of these cars , both the carbon and CF version..also finding out most parts interchange from the V1 to the V2 or visa versa, good tip re the outdrive mod! and yes some have broke....LMK if ya wanna see some pix
pics please , YES