R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Academy SB pro carbon edition (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/257055-academy-sb-pro-carbon-edition.html)

jonnyutah 11-30-2008 07:35 PM

Academy SB pro carbon edition

can the older SB buggy parts fit the new SBV2? I know a guy who has a SB pro carbon edition roller for $70. i was wondering if the sbv2 chassis, arms,towers, wheels can fit on the old model. is it worth it? or is the SB just too dated?

tom_chang79 12-01-2008 08:09 AM

I don't think many of the V2 parts will fit the SB Pro (the first version) aside from the wheels, shocks, and spur gear. However, the SB Pro is not a dated car in my opinion, it's still a competitive car, but just need to remember the parts-support thing. I believe MRC (the distributor of the Academy products in North America) still support this car. The car's design isn't too far off from some of the 4WDs that are out today, such as the ZX5, and a few years ago, there were a handful of us in southern california that ran this car, including yours truly and a guy by the name of JK Racing (as well as Tyco Dad/Manny for those of you RC10B4.com vets).

However, an active member with the handle "Cain" on this board is the resident expert on everything Academy IMO. Perhaps he can chime in on what exactly of the SBV2 will fit the SB Pro. Cain has been racing the SB Pro since the beginning and have moved onto the V2 when it first came out...

EDIT:
-----

I just wanted to stress on getting the latest variant of any car due to parts support. If my RC10CE still had parts support, I would never buy a RC10B4 or a XXX-CR in its place. The RC10CE is a 15+ year-old car, but it is still a competitive car and the differences are minor compared to the newer cars IMO...

What newer cars have advantage in are the parts support and exotic materials IMO. Where Nylon was used in the cars of yesteryear, carbon-polymer hybrid materials replaced...

Cain 12-01-2008 09:28 AM

Thanks for compliment. I would JK Racing though is a better source on that as he owned both vehicles at the same time and could compare what fit and what didn't.

Now, to the original question, I would first say what you are inquiring about for the SB Pro carbon V1 aren't the items to be too concerned about. The main fault of the SB V1 series was the where on the outdrives. Some wore faster than others. I had a set go pretty quick, and then another set that just lasted and lasted.

The plastic on the V1 series actually has more give than the V2 Pro. This is a good thing if you are starting out as it made the car a tank, but, if you need a more direct feel, go with the V2 Pro.

For $70, it doesn't sound like a bad deal if he has spares for it. I personally though would only go for it IF the car has an upgraded motor mount system similar to the Kose system. Also make sure it has the newer cvd setup as well.

I think I still have a cheat sheet that everyone online collaborated on to make with great info on upgrades and tricks with the V1 series.

Brandon A 12-01-2008 09:17 PM

My brother runs a hand-me-down SB v1 and I would definately second that it is a tank. They're actually amazingly tough and don't perform to badly either. For club level racing it's an allright choice for $70 I would think. Also in agreement with the previous posts I don't believe many of the v1 and v2 parts are interchangeable.

Gunman 03-07-2009 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 5113010)

I think I still have a cheat sheet that everyone online collaborated on to make with great info on upgrades and tricks with the V1 series.

I know I put this in a PM, but figured Id post as well, you or anyone else, wouldnt happen to have said cheat sheet of upgrades etc for the V1?

Cain 03-08-2009 07:12 AM

will look into getting that to you later today. Been busy putting new flooring in.

jk racing 03-08-2009 10:14 AM

For the SB Carbon Edition 1 car, parts to stock up on would be front C hub carriers and if not the Carbon Edition 2 car, axles. The V1 car has an issue with axle breakage. When moving to the CE2 car, they employed the same through rim axles system they use on the current car. The only other issue I truly had with the CE cars were the diffs. If they didnt wear out, a bad landing would split the diff cups right off. A simple sleeve over the outdrives fixed this (think the losi alloy covers for their plastic diffs), I remember using some brass compression fittings from the local Home Depot. Wasnt the prettiest solution, but served its purpose great. IMHO, the downfall to the handling of the SB Carbon cars was the lack of chassis kickup. You must use a front oneway to get decent steering out of the car also...again my opinion.

As for parts swapping:
  • Wheels/Tires
  • Shocks
  • Steering Servo Mounts
  • Spur gears/Slipper pads
  • Bearings

There may be more, but that is all I remember off the top of my head.

Cain...thanks for the plug :batman:, I did spend quite a bit of time on these cars.

Cain 03-08-2009 11:52 AM

no prob, this thread brings back memories!

party_wagon 03-08-2009 12:36 PM

If you can get a good deal on the buggy w/ the right mods & upgrades it can be set up to be a world beater.

Gunman 03-08-2009 02:53 PM

Thanks all, I picked one of the carbon pro v1s up recently. It is all new parts and a new one way already installed in the front. Only thing it needed was a new body and cvds. Soon as they come in and I can get it set up, Im going to hit the 4wd class at the local track. I had heard there were alot of parts that would interchange with other buggys. Thanks again for the help all.

anotherrcguy 04-11-2009 01:32 PM

Help! Can you identify this buggy!!!

I just picked this buggy up used and I am trying to figure out exactly which one it is? Does anyone know what version of the Academy buggy this is and anything you can tell me about it would be helpful.

See pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/100_4692.jpg

20 SMOKE 04-11-2009 05:10 PM

it is a little hard to see but i think it is the first ver,it looks like the top deck has two extra ears of the sides and the front shock tower looks a little big,can you take a few more pics

20 SMOKE 04-11-2009 05:17 PM

i just went to mrc and it looks like the sb sport or the pro i think the pro.
http://www.modelrec.com/rc-products/...ars-trucks.asp

do you race at farmers or hurricane

anotherrcguy 04-11-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE (Post 5671263)
it is a little hard to see but i think it is the first ver,it looks like the top deck has two extra ears of the sides and the front shock tower looks a little big,can you take a few more pics

I don't have it yet, i just bought it, I looked and I think you are correct, do you or does anyone know anything about these buggies? Any good, what can I do to make it better, etc. Also does anyone know of any hobby shops that stock parts for this? I did see some at Amain.

tom_chang79 04-11-2009 05:47 PM

That buggy looks very familiar. Looks exactly like my old one that I had that I sold to another RCtech user. The AE truck shocks front and rear is the tall-tale sign that it was the one I sold. The other tall-tale sign that it is the same buggy that I sold is the motor mount. It was a custom machined prototype of the motor mount that JK Racing hooked me up with back in the days. The stock motor mount was a CAM-style scheme, so it limited the smallest and the largest pinion you can use with it. With this custom motor mount, you have a lot more freedom to drop the tooth count on the pinion gear. I'm gonna assume that it was the buggy that I sold. Under this assumption, it is:

Academy SB Pro LE (Limited Edition).

The LE version went a little further then the standard Pro version. If I remember correctly, they included the VXB hubs (the beefier hubs that are found on their 1/10th NITRO VXB buggy) and also the beefier outdrives.

The shocks are the AE blue anodized (non threaded) RC10GT shocks. Since the shock mount for the front and rear are identical, I used an extra rear shock tower in the front to be able to accept the longer RC10GT fronts.

The tires are Losi Taper Pin Red Compound with the Fluorescent yellow dish wheels for the SB/SB Pro.

One of the other gripes with the box-stock configuration was the wing. The wing seemed way too high so I dropped the mount to be a little lower and as you can see, the section where the wing meets the rear shocks were dremeled out for clearance.

The only hot modification I didn't do to this buggy was to slice off two little sections off the rear portion of the chassis which will allow more droop. If you notice, the rear arms will come down and hit the edge of the chassis towards the rear. If you are careful with a dremel cut-off tool, you can slice off that section and get some more droop out of your vehicle.

I had a blast with this vehicle, I hope you will too!

:)