Wiki Posts
Search

A little confused about novak 17.5 in B4

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dean Rawlinson
The lowest spurs associated makes are 78t. I have heard a 74 or 76 tooth kyosho zx5 spur will fit with a little modding.

where are people getting 66t spurs??

Thanks
The Kyosho spur will fit but I would run the Kyosho slipper pads and then you dont have to cut anything. (Two white pads)

13.5 I would start with around a 6.0 fdr and go from there depending on the track.

I hear there is a 72 spur that AE is going to release very soon. which will get you there for a 13.5 but your still alittle off on the 17.5.

When your motor is getting hot but your ESC is still cold your usually under geared. If both are hot your over geared. In stock the ESC might not ever warm up so just check both to be safe.

Dean if your racing the Gyro on Saturday come find me if you need some help.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

He is racing Friday and Saturday.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

^Correct.

I will be racing tomorrow and in the gyro race. I am going to go to hobby people on the way and see what they have. I also will go up a couple more teeth on the pinion. does anyone know if they carry the kyosho spurs at ocrc?? I would like to get one of those. I know the shop thier carries some kyosho stuff.

Thanks,
Dean
Old 11-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

First off, i have read all the threads about gearing on these, but i did not find an answer to my question.

I bought a GTB/17.5ss for my B4. I put everything in the car last night and it went together fine. I picked up a 31 tooth pinion because i have read so many times that these need to be geared to the moon to be fast.

So last night i put this pinion on it and it barely fits on with the stock 81 spur, the gear mesh is kinda nice. I knew this would be low for a 17.5

While test running, it is pretty fast and has a ton of torque, but, its getting hotter than id like on this low gearing. At not even the end of the run, i could hold my finger on it for 7 seconds, no longer. (I dont have a temp gauge yet)

So I am wondering if this is normal, because i hear about people using like 66 tooth spurs and stuff. could my gear mesh be doing this?

thanks,
Dean
Dean, could be that the gear mesh was too tight. that'll cause overheating.

Originally Posted by cleblanc
what gearing do you guys recomend for a 13.5? right now i am running 78/29... thanks
I've run as tall as 33-78.

The lowest spurs associated makes are 78t. I have heard a 74 or 76 tooth kyosho zx5 spur will fit with a little modding.

where are people getting 66t spurs??

Thanks
speedtech rc
Old 11-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cleblanc
what gearing do you guys recomend for a 13.5? right now i am running 78/29... thanks
Im running the novak 13.5 with sintered rotor at a 33/78 (about 120 after a race), i guess ae is releasing a smaller spur shortly which will be great!