Wiki Posts
Search

what has losi become....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Remember the "Porsche Technique"? Win on Sunday, sell on Monday... I highly doubt they would abandon the race kits; it's what made the name, and continues to sell cars.

Riddle me this... How many D8s got sold after the Worlds?...
And the less obvious part of the "Porche technique" was what very nearly put them out of business in the early-mid 90's. Porche was about to go under and to save themselves the hired some execs from, get this, Toyota (think Traxxas here). Toyota's guys showed them that they were making 6 different cars that shared absolutely NO parts. Toyota's guys showed them that to be successful they had to share parts and platforms and make production more efficient. Ever notice the 911, Boxter and Cayman all look the same from the windshield forward? They are (think XXXT, Desert Truck, Oval car here). Porche is now very successful selling cars that cost as much as a condo and aren't practical. Who'd a' thunk it?

Losi is doing just fine. They don't need a new 4wd car because the market (which is very small) is already saturated with designs and Losi's (XXX4 and XX4WE) are still selling some units. There's no money in designing a new car there.

Here's a question regarding the "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" theory (not that I disagree), after the last worlds (Mark Pavidis won with a Kyosho) in Indonesia, the worlds that Losi didn't even send a team to, who do you think sold more cars in the US? Losi or Kyosho?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Gil Losi Jr works for Kyosho, so I guess you can think of a Lazer as a "new Losi 4WD"
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Toyota's guys showed them that they were making 6 different cars that shared absolutely NO parts. Toyota's guys showed them that to be successful they had to share parts and platforms and make production more efficient. Ever notice the 911, Boxter and Cayman all look the same from the windshield forward? They are (think XXXT, Desert Truck, Oval car here). Porche is now very successful selling cars that cost as much as a condo and aren't practical. Who'd a' thunk it?
Toyota showed Porsche how to sell something to everyone not just the auto enthusiast. Before Porsche was known as a drivers car, a racers car. Cars that won in races, you could take that 356,speedster or 911 from the showroom and go race....they where race cars for the street. R&D went into things like the 917, 908 and such, then that motor tech went into 911 GT cars, still comp racing cars and then it ended up in that 911 or even a 968 that you could drive on the street....But there are a entire group of people out there that you where not selling cars to...people that think Porsche is cool and if they only made an SUV...makes me want to puke.

Now they sell a GREAT many more cars that every soccer mom with any income wants to have. The company has changed its focus, from racing to selling more cars, and that means putting crap like the Cayman that just puts more cars in driveways, great if you sell something to people driving 2.3 kids to basketball, a horror if you long for the days of "real Porsche"....losi is doing the same thing.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

One of the reasons Gill Losi JR. said that he left Losi was because he didn't like the direction Horizon was taking the company, and wanted to get focused on racing, and making race cars again.

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pyro18t
One of the reasons Gill Losi JR. said that he left Losi was because he didn't like the direction Horizon was taking the company, and wanted to get focused on racing, and making race cars again.

Jay
That's believable...as Sr sold the Losi Brand to Horizon right around the same time Jr went to go work for Kyosho America in 2001.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherokee
Toyota showed Porsche how to sell something to everyone not just the auto enthusiast. Before Porsche was known as a drivers car, a racers car. Cars that won in races, you could take that 356,speedster or 911 from the showroom and go race....they where race cars for the street. R&D went into things like the 917, 908 and such, then that motor tech went into 911 GT cars, still comp racing cars and then it ended up in that 911 or even a 968 that you could drive on the street....But there are a entire group of people out there that you where not selling cars to...people that think Porsche is cool and if they only made an SUV...makes me want to puke.

Now they sell a GREAT many more cars that every soccer mom with any income wants to have. The company has changed its focus, from racing to selling more cars, and that means putting crap like the Cayman that just puts more cars in driveways, great if you sell something to people driving 2.3 kids to basketball, a horror if you long for the days of "real Porsche"....losi is doing the same thing.
What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine ?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

It was nice when Team Losi was family owned and dedicated to racing, alot of really innovative stuff was designed during that time.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Look at the big picture, and the big picture is is that racing is but a small portion of sales.

How many rtr cars/bashers are sold compared to a racing kit? I'd be willing to be it's probably a 10:1 ratio or pretty close.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

That's believable...as Sr sold the Losi Brand to Horizon right around the same time Jr went to go work for Kyosho America in 2001.
I'm pretty sure that Losi Sr. sold it Horizon in 2001, but Losi Jr. stayed on until 2007 then he went to Kyosho. There was a big article about it in... RC Driver I belive.

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

My bad it was Xtreme RC Mag that the interview was done in. They have a copy of the article in PDF format on their site, but you have to sign up to be a member and I don't really feel like... besides I have the magazine around here somewhere.

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Look at the big picture, and the big picture is is that racing is but a small portion of sales.

How many rtr cars/bashers are sold compared to a racing kit? I'd be willing to be it's probably a 10:1 ratio or pretty close.
If you are looking at all RC cars I would bet you are pretty close, looking at "hobby grade" cars I bet it is closer to 3-4:1

Like I have been trying to say, is it better to have a small company with a small overhead that sells something to a small group of very loyal people. Or is it better to sell tons of stuff, and then have to have a larger overhead to keep up with the demand and sell that stuff to people that are buying it because of a name...and when that does not mean anything anymore what happens next...ask some guys named Wagoner, Nardelli and Mulally?

What company will make more money when all the bills are paid....good question, but I know what will happen to the company that built itself and its reputation on one type of product then is building another.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

I think RTR's are one of the best things to happen. It gets people who did not have the ability to build a full on race kit a chance to get into hobby grade RC.

Once they get hooked, they may upgrade to a higher quality kit.....

It also encourages these drivers to go to the LHS for help, advice and parts.

JMO....
Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have to agree about RTR's being awsome. I got out of RC when I joined the military, and didn't have anything left from when I was in high school. An RTR (AE RC10GT) got me back into the game.

Jay
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pyro18t
I have to agree about RTR's being awsome. I got out of RC when I joined the military, and didn't have anything left from when I was in high school. An RTR (AE RC10GT) got me back into the game.

Jay
As did I and 7 years later I end up with a "race KIT" if the military taught me anything it was to not be lazy and do things the right way the first time. Ended up saving money getting the parts I was actually gonna use right off the bat instead of buying stuff I would soon replace to be competitive.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

I hope this does not get nasty...but here it goes.

Times where different even as close as 10years ago, to put stuff in big bags we are a nation of consumers, we don't want to build anything anymore, we want it and we want it now and when it stops working we toss it in the trash and buy another one. Some have called this the Wallmart Syndrome, and feel it is part of what is wrong with this country.

Don't get me wrong there is a need for a RTR, but who over the age of 10 can't build a kit? "It gets people who did not have the ability to build a full on race kit..." Who are these people?

I guess I come from a different generation...one where you built things, everything from Heath kits to RC cars. Making it was part of the fun, and when it did not work just right you knew how to fix it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.