R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Tech Champion
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,937
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
Remember the "Porsche Technique"? Win on Sunday, sell on Monday... I highly doubt they would abandon the race kits; it's what made the name, and continues to sell cars.

Riddle me this... How many D8s got sold after the Worlds?...
And the less obvious part of the "Porche technique" was what very nearly put them out of business in the early-mid 90's. Porche was about to go under and to save themselves the hired some execs from, get this, Toyota (think Traxxas here). Toyota's guys showed them that they were making 6 different cars that shared absolutely NO parts. Toyota's guys showed them that to be successful they had to share parts and platforms and make production more efficient. Ever notice the 911, Boxter and Cayman all look the same from the windshield forward? They are (think XXXT, Desert Truck, Oval car here). Porche is now very successful selling cars that cost as much as a condo and aren't practical. Who'd a' thunk it?

Losi is doing just fine. They don't need a new 4wd car because the market (which is very small) is already saturated with designs and Losi's (XXX4 and XX4WE) are still selling some units. There's no money in designing a new car there.

Here's a question regarding the "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" theory (not that I disagree), after the last worlds (Mark Pavidis won with a Kyosho) in Indonesia, the worlds that Losi didn't even send a team to, who do you think sold more cars in the US? Losi or Kyosho?
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Gil Losi Jr works for Kyosho, so I guess you can think of a Lazer as a "new Losi 4WD"
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Toyota's guys showed them that they were making 6 different cars that shared absolutely NO parts. Toyota's guys showed them that to be successful they had to share parts and platforms and make production more efficient. Ever notice the 911, Boxter and Cayman all look the same from the windshield forward? They are (think XXXT, Desert Truck, Oval car here). Porche is now very successful selling cars that cost as much as a condo and aren't practical. Who'd a' thunk it?
Toyota showed Porsche how to sell something to everyone not just the auto enthusiast. Before Porsche was known as a drivers car, a racers car. Cars that won in races, you could take that 356,speedster or 911 from the showroom and go race....they where race cars for the street. R&D went into things like the 917, 908 and such, then that motor tech went into 911 GT cars, still comp racing cars and then it ended up in that 911 or even a 968 that you could drive on the street....But there are a entire group of people out there that you where not selling cars to...people that think Porsche is cool and if they only made an SUV...makes me want to puke.

Now they sell a GREAT many more cars that every soccer mom with any income wants to have. The company has changed its focus, from racing to selling more cars, and that means putting crap like the Cayman that just puts more cars in driveways, great if you sell something to people driving 2.3 kids to basketball, a horror if you long for the days of "real Porsche"....losi is doing the same thing.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FT Walton, FL
Posts: 967
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

One of the reasons Gill Losi JR. said that he left Losi was because he didn't like the direction Horizon was taking the company, and wanted to get focused on racing, and making race cars again.

Jay
__________________
~ Jason Kennedy ~
~ Sweep Racing Tires ~
~ TQ Wire~Wire~
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
One of the reasons Gill Losi JR. said that he left Losi was because he didn't like the direction Horizon was taking the company, and wanted to get focused on racing, and making race cars again.

Jay
That's believable...as Sr sold the Losi Brand to Horizon right around the same time Jr went to go work for Kyosho America in 2001.
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #21
Tech Champion
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Toyota showed Porsche how to sell something to everyone not just the auto enthusiast. Before Porsche was known as a drivers car, a racers car. Cars that won in races, you could take that 356,speedster or 911 from the showroom and go race....they where race cars for the street. R&D went into things like the 917, 908 and such, then that motor tech went into 911 GT cars, still comp racing cars and then it ended up in that 911 or even a 968 that you could drive on the street....But there are a entire group of people out there that you where not selling cars to...people that think Porsche is cool and if they only made an SUV...makes me want to puke.

Now they sell a GREAT many more cars that every soccer mom with any income wants to have. The company has changed its focus, from racing to selling more cars, and that means putting crap like the Cayman that just puts more cars in driveways, great if you sell something to people driving 2.3 kids to basketball, a horror if you long for the days of "real Porsche"....losi is doing the same thing.
What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine ?
__________________
Island Raceway & Hobby
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
RCHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,490
Default

It was nice when Team Losi was family owned and dedicated to racing, alot of really innovative stuff was designed during that time.
__________________
Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway
1258 South Main Street, Waterbury, CT. 06706
203-575-9757 / www.rchr.biz / [email protected]
RCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #23
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 3,470
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Look at the big picture, and the big picture is is that racing is but a small portion of sales.

How many rtr cars/bashers are sold compared to a racing kit? I'd be willing to be it's probably a 10:1 ratio or pretty close.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FT Walton, FL
Posts: 967
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
That's believable...as Sr sold the Losi Brand to Horizon right around the same time Jr went to go work for Kyosho America in 2001.
I'm pretty sure that Losi Sr. sold it Horizon in 2001, but Losi Jr. stayed on until 2007 then he went to Kyosho. There was a big article about it in... RC Driver I belive.

Jay
__________________
~ Jason Kennedy ~
~ Sweep Racing Tires ~
~ TQ Wire~Wire~
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FT Walton, FL
Posts: 967
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

My bad it was Xtreme RC Mag that the interview was done in. They have a copy of the article in PDF format on their site, but you have to sign up to be a member and I don't really feel like... besides I have the magazine around here somewhere.

Jay
__________________
~ Jason Kennedy ~
~ Sweep Racing Tires ~
~ TQ Wire~Wire~
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #26
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayeddy View Post
Look at the big picture, and the big picture is is that racing is but a small portion of sales.

How many rtr cars/bashers are sold compared to a racing kit? I'd be willing to be it's probably a 10:1 ratio or pretty close.
If you are looking at all RC cars I would bet you are pretty close, looking at "hobby grade" cars I bet it is closer to 3-4:1

Like I have been trying to say, is it better to have a small company with a small overhead that sells something to a small group of very loyal people. Or is it better to sell tons of stuff, and then have to have a larger overhead to keep up with the demand and sell that stuff to people that are buying it because of a name...and when that does not mean anything anymore what happens next...ask some guys named Wagoner, Nardelli and Mulally?

What company will make more money when all the bills are paid....good question, but I know what will happen to the company that built itself and its reputation on one type of product then is building another.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #27
Tech Elite
 
y2kgtp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deltona, FL
Posts: 2,559
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp
Default

I think RTR's are one of the best things to happen. It gets people who did not have the ability to build a full on race kit a chance to get into hobby grade RC.

Once they get hooked, they may upgrade to a higher quality kit.....

It also encourages these drivers to go to the LHS for help, advice and parts.

JMO....
__________________
"Yes my car is technically illegal, but still its either just as fast or slower than any other car on the track so whats the issue with it being illegal?"
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FT Walton, FL
Posts: 967
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I have to agree about RTR's being awsome. I got out of RC when I joined the military, and didn't have anything left from when I was in high school. An RTR (AE RC10GT) got me back into the game.

Jay
__________________
~ Jason Kennedy ~
~ Sweep Racing Tires ~
~ TQ Wire~Wire~
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic
 
wayboarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 866
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
I have to agree about RTR's being awsome. I got out of RC when I joined the military, and didn't have anything left from when I was in high school. An RTR (AE RC10GT) got me back into the game.

Jay
As did I and 7 years later I end up with a "race KIT" if the military taught me anything it was to not be lazy and do things the right way the first time. Ended up saving money getting the parts I was actually gonna use right off the bat instead of buying stuff I would soon replace to be competitive.
wayboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #30
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I hope this does not get nasty...but here it goes.

Times where different even as close as 10years ago, to put stuff in big bags we are a nation of consumers, we don't want to build anything anymore, we want it and we want it now and when it stops working we toss it in the trash and buy another one. Some have called this the Wallmart Syndrome, and feel it is part of what is wrong with this country.

Don't get me wrong there is a need for a RTR, but who over the age of 10 can't build a kit? "It gets people who did not have the ability to build a full on race kit..." Who are these people?

I guess I come from a different generation...one where you built things, everything from Heath kits to RC cars. Making it was part of the fun, and when it did not work just right you knew how to fix it.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Losi JRXS Type-R Andrew Gray Electric On-Road 13454 07-11-2017 08:26 PM
Tekno Conversions Thread teknorc Electric Off-Road 10250 01-30-2017 02:30 PM
Land of confusion asciibaron Electric Off-Road 39 06-25-2009 11:07 AM
Tires will not stay on wheels maximumhp Nitro On-Road 12 04-23-2009 05:52 PM
Pride in your R/C jheimb4897 Electric On-Road 54 02-21-2008 05:31 AM
mamba vs novak sparkplug1288j Electric Off-Road 27 11-29-2007 02:05 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net