Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Presents the 2008 PA Electric Inddor Off-Road Challange

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can tell you that the racing in 2wd and 4wd Mod has been very competitive at McCullough's lately. The last two weekends of club racing we've had 14 buggies in both classes. Traction at McCullough's is usually very high and we normally run pink taper pin slicks with buggy grip. Sometimes if the track drys a little, we run regular pink taper pins with a softer foam. Hope to see you all at the ROAR race...
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lmichner
Why the change for the oval guys anyway, I thought that track was great to them before? I raced oval about 6-7 years ago, no tracks that good were ever around then.
Chris changed the track to make the racing on the oval better and that was accomplished. It did hurt the offroad some but we still have tons of fun. The Slash class is growing because you can't find cheaper racing than these and it brings tons of new guys in. WIth money being tight even hard core racers in are area are racing Slash trucks since its competitive, cheapest racing around, most realistic looking on the track and just plain fun.

I'm sure both races will be good either way.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Its a shame that the offroad had to suffer when the oval was already good but guess thats how it is. Glad to hear the Slashes are taking off and doing well hopefully new faces continue to show with them. In reality though how long will this slash craze last for? Maybe a season or two? Not everyone that races does it for the "fun" of it. Some people are serious about it and that should not be forgotten. 2wd mod has been the offroad backbone there for quite sometime and hopefully thats not lost in this slash craze. I still plan on making down to Bumps in a couple weeks to check it all out and want to plan a trip to McCullus one weekend. Ill keep a watch on this thread to see how things pan out then determine where to go dec 13
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs down POOR CHOICE OF RACE DATE

My question is to Kevin.

Put on your thick skin Kevin because this is some heavy criticism and I am not looking to start any fights or create any enemies, but I am a straight shooter and you are carrying the target here.

Why would you schedule a race for the same weekend of an annual event that you know happens every year? This kind of silly scheduling only hurts the industry by splitting the racers between the tracks. If they were on separate dates the die-hard racers could then race both events if they so chose to. Now you have created a dilemma of choice and a guessing game of who is going to be where and both tracks are going to suffer decreased entries and sales.

I usually defend you bro because you have greatly supported the 18th scale class and I really appreciate that. But to be honest, I don't think you see some of the harm that may be going on with poor communication and reckless scheduling of ROAR races.

I'm not trying to bash you but I do want you to realize the position you are putting us racers in and not to mention the track owners.

I would prefer to support all the RC events I can regardless of who is holding the race and whomever is sponsoring it. I can only guess that there are others that feel the same way.

I would hope that you might reconsider the date. It would be no different than if you scheduled the Region II Regional Championship on Sept 12-14 at some other track competing with McCulloughs "Race Against Cancer".
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think the reality of the situation is that it wouldn't have mattered if they were the same weekend or we moved it a weekend in either direction. I don't think the turnout would be any better unless you scheduled it many weeks difference. Reason - most of us can't afford to do big race after big race, weekend after weekend. There are only so many available weekends each year to do these things. It's certainly not an ideal situation, but it is what it is. I've honestly never seen much cross-over racing between Bumps n Jumps and McCullough's. I think they are just too far apart.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have thick skin so no worries on your concerns about the schedule, I totally understand.

When I set the racer date with Doug I was not looking at BJ schedule. It has been said that the racers are looking for a ROAR rep at these races so that if questions or concerns come up they can be addressed. The reason I picked the 13 was so that I could attend the race as Regional Director. For the most part I can hit at least one race a month and still be in the good graces of my family (but we can talk about that in a miute) I have an on road race this weekend 11/15/2008 so that is my November race and the PA race at McCullough's is my December race.

As most of you may know I have been racing for a long time but over the past 6 years my attendance at the races has been slipping. I have a family now and they come first in my life. I have recently taken a new job which is closer to my home so that I am not on the road for 3 extra hrs each day. With that said I try to attend as many races as I can so that you the racers know I care about what is important to you. At the same time I try and keep my wife and two children happy by being a good dad.

So I understand were you guys are coming from with the race schedule issue but I promise next year will be more planned out so that issues like this do not come up.

Thank you

Kevin Boyle
Old 11-12-2008, 06:54 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Lmichner
Its a shame that the offroad had to suffer when the oval was already good but guess thats how it is. Glad to hear the Slashes are taking off and doing well hopefully new faces continue to show with them. In reality though how long will this slash craze last for? Maybe a season or two? Not everyone that races does it for the "fun" of it. Some people are serious about it and that should not be forgotten. 2wd mod has been the offroad backbone there for quite sometime and hopefully thats not lost in this slash craze. I still plan on making down to Bumps in a couple weeks to check it all out and want to plan a trip to McCullus one weekend. Ill keep a watch on this thread to see how things pan out then determine where to go dec 13
The change was made because the oval attendance is easily twice as big as offroad has been over the last 3 plus years. Oval has always been the bigger draw so naturally you need to catter to what pays the bills. Has this hurt offroad..........well a little bit Slash racing has doubled the attendance and this class will last as long people want it to last like any other class. We still run 2wd mod but alot of the serious racers started to run Slash class instead because your only bill a week is you entry fee and no 2wd mod buggy class will ever be that cheap. With people loosing jobs daily and layoffs around every corner this racing will be around for a long time.

Either way I hope both race tracks continue to prosper and do well in these tough economic times. Goodluck to both area tracks. Even if your not a racer support your local hobbyshops before they are all gone.!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kevin - there have been some questions in the McCullough's thread over in hobbytalk asking whether or not the Castle Creations motors will be allowed at this event? I guess some other ROAR race gave an exception and they are asking if you are giving one for this race. I don't know anything about it - just passing on the question. I'm still running Orion - and it's brushed.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson
Kevin - there have been some questions in the McCullough's thread over in hobbytalk asking whether or not the Castle Creations motors will be allowed at this event? I guess some other ROAR race gave an exception and they are asking if you are giving one for this race. I don't know anything about it - just passing on the question. I'm still running Orion - and it's brushed.
I think the other place just ran an unlimited mod class that was any brushless system for mod. They still ran a regular ROAR mod class.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

this shub be a good event the competion is awsome even on a weekly race

im in for Mod truck only unless someone has a 2wd or 4wd they will let me borrow
Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wyd
I think the other place just ran an unlimited mod class that was any brushless system for mod. They still ran a regular ROAR mod class.
Chris,

Brian is correct, I feel that any Mod class should be open when is comes to the speedo/motors. So please let the racers know that they can run the Castle Creation systems.

I will check on the 1/8 electric class, I would think we could add it but we need at least 10 racers???? Not sure I will check with Doug and let you know

Keep the questions coming

Thanks
Kevin
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Chris - Thank you for forwarding my question onto this forum, I hadn't noticed it was here until now.

WYD - Actually the ROAR race at Glenwood allowed Castle motors in the regular mod class.

Kevin - Thank you for allowing another exception for the castle motors. I know because of you allowing that, a few more drivers will attend this race, me included. Thank you.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by scott54
Chris - Thank you for forwarding my question onto this forum, I hadn't noticed it was here until now.

WYD - Actually the ROAR race at Glenwood allowed Castle motors in the regular mod class.

Kevin - Thank you for allowing another exception for the castle motors. I know because of you allowing that, a few more drivers will attend this race, me included. Thank you.

Thanks Scott. That would be cool either way.

Hey me and Kevin don't always see eye to eye and have gone rounds many of times (nothing personal) but I will say he does try harder than any Regional Directors I have seen in the last 20 years in are region and he does race offroad mainly and knows what cars and systems are showing up to race. He is trying to get racers to the track for a ROAR race........not chase them away so gotta give him credit when its due.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

how much is the entry fee going to be for this race? is there going to be a sign up sheet or we just going to sign up when you get there? thanks!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by josh milliren
how much is the entry fee going to be for this race? is there going to be a sign up sheet or we just going to sign up when you get there? thanks!
Good question. And being that it's a ROAR race, are there going to be ROAR passes available for us non-ROAR members? And how does a ROAR membership work? If I signed up, would that just be till the end of the calander year or would it be for a year from now?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.