Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your opinions on the Caster Racing Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Default Your opinions on the Caster Racing Fusion

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the fusion. There was a huge interest on it at first when it was announced, but it has seemed to have dwindled. We are selling them, but not like expected. I was just curious as to why. There will be a review in the Dec RC Driver and that will probably change everything, but is it the economy, the waiting for other brands, the lack of advertising, the fact that it is an 1/8 scale buggy, everyone is waiting for the pro kit?

It is supposed to have a street price of $300, but the casterusa site has it at $350 to protect dealers. Is that the problem?

Everyone who has bought one has absolutely loved it and the parts quality is way better than the Caster products in the past. Just trying to figure out what the problem(s) are. I know that Caster will be much more aggressive in 2009 and that they have been holding back as to not make the same mistakes as some of the other manufacturers.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. With the release of your buggy, I feel that the E8 world was opened up. I look at it like you are the first company with the to release something like the Fusion. I do feel that the electronics are the things that are holding the rest of the world from entering the class of electric 8th scale. ESCs, BEC's, and voltage cutoffs are very intimidating to beginners. When the MMM is re-released and is fool-proof, more people will come along. Good work with the buggy and I
Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Sorry for the double post. If you are looking for LHS's, contact Dansey's hobbies, Las Vegas, (702)453-race(7223). Dave is very interested in these conversions.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by trdsupra88
Sorry for the double post. If you are looking for LHS's, contact Dansey's hobbies, Las Vegas, (702)453-race(7223). Dave is very interested in these conversions.
Was Dansey's ever located on Nellis Blvd?

I remember there being an LHS/indoor track located on Nellis Blvd, back when I was stationed at Nellis AFB.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

Only $300!! That is a steal! That's less than a ZX-5 SP or a B44!

1/8 scale 4wd buggies are known to be EXTREMELY durable due to being designed to the handle massive power from nitro engines...unlike the fragile and light weight reputation of 1/10 scale electric 4wd, haha.

I think that if you made a recipe/guidelines for the electronics to get, that could help with the sales. I think a good portion of your future customers would be from the nitro world and they might not know as much about "non-1/10 scale" electric motors/batteries/ESCs. I also think another good portion of your future customers would be from the 1/10 electric world and they might not know as much about "non-1/10" scale electric motors/batteries/ESCs.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Personally I am waiting for other brands. I think the fusion looks good (best rtr body I have seen) and appears to be a great value. The thing is I will just convert what ever car is popular at the track I am going to race at. That way I know the lhs will stock what ever parts I may need. Most likely my next 8th scale electric with be a losi 8 version 2 unless something else catches my eye over the winter.

Other then that I think a reliable 8th scale esc could be hurting your sales. The mamba monster was suppose to be that esc and mine is working great but I have seen many others that haven't been so lucky.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for any new vehicle. Just got into electric off-roading a few months ago and I'm having a great time with it, but I still need to recover from the initial cost.

With respect to the Fusion, I'd have to say I will either go with it or the
8ight-E. I'm REALLY liking the dual battery config of the Fusion because of balance and that I can use my 1/10th batteries. With respect to the 8ight-E, its hard to overlook the 8ight's reputation. I'm also not fond of the conversion kits.

In my view - electric 1/8th is a two car world (Castor and Losi).
Old 09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Prolly lack of interest cause "who is castor racing ?" and now the 8E is out so you got a big name to compete with.

I know i wouldn't by a non name brand just do to support and lack of participation by other hobbyist.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I do feel that the electronics are the things that are holding the rest of the world from entering the class of electric 8th scale. ESCs, BEC's, and voltage cutoffs are very intimidating to beginners. When the MMM is re-released and is fool-proof, more people will come along.
I totally agree!! I'm a 1/10th electric off-road racer that has gotten into 1/10th touring cars simply because all the off-road tracks around my area are built for 1/8th buggies and truggies. The Fusion will be my first 1/8th buggy because it allows the use of ROAR approved lipo's that I already own. Once manufacturers figure out how to make the 1/8th ESC's plug-n-play then I'll get the Fusion and start racing 1/8th scale. Hopefully Losi's new system works well and Castle figures out the BEC problem with the MMM. Until I know I can buy an ESC and just plug it in then I'm going to stand on the sidelines and watch. I also feel once ROAR sets some rules for this class and we start running it at large races then we will see more people getting into 1/8th electric. I know a lot of people don't agree with me, but once ROAR approved lipo's for use in 1/10th racing the Ni-mh packs at my track all but disappeared. I realize I'm not comparing apples to apples with that analogy, but I think without a basic set of rules many people are afraid they'll spend $300 on a 6S pack then not be able to use it at some events. I'll shut up now!!

Last edited by cla5675; 09-23-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

I see the MSRP is $1300 and is "available for $879.99" on the Losi site...
but what is the real street price of the Losi 8e roller?

Caster seems like a steal at $300!

I think Caster should detail some history and design heritage on how and by whom their Fusion was designed, it would give the Fusion more street cred.

Last edited by haulin79; 09-22-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Suspended

II do feel that the electronics are the things that are holding the rest of the world from entering the class of electric 8th scale. ESCs, BEC's, and voltage cutoffs are very intimidating to beginners.
Compared to what -- starter boxes, battery packs, receiver packs, nitro engine break in and incessant tuning?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cracka
Compared to what -- starter boxes, battery packs, receiver packs, nitro engine break in and incessant tuning?
rocket rob has a point here.

anyway, yea tuning maintenance and trouble shooting in nitro is pretty intensive for a noob. Moreso then a lipo battery and a bec.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well two major things that the Fusion stands out from the rest:

1) It was designed with the intent of electric, whereas the other conversions are an after-thought, a work-around.

2) $300 for something comparable to a Losi 8eight and RC8! The biggest factor that's keeping me out of 1/8th scale electric is the cost. $500+ for just a chassis and a bunch of nitro components I don't need. For $500+, I rather have a 1/10th with electric in mind when it was conceived...

Two MAJOR things against it:

1) Parts support at the local level

2) Did I mention parts support? One of the things that makes AE so successful is that 9 out of 10 hobby shop carries their part. I think this effort is not really on the engineering aspect of this product, but more on sales/marketing!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hakmazter
I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on the fusion. There was a huge interest on it at first when it was announced, but it has seemed to have dwindled. We are selling them, but not like expected. I was just curious as to why. There will be a review in the Dec RC Driver and that will probably change everything, but is it the economy, the waiting for other brands, the lack of advertising, the fact that it is an 1/8 scale buggy, everyone is waiting for the pro kit?

It is supposed to have a street price of $300, but the casterusa site has it at $350 to protect dealers. Is that the problem?

Everyone who has bought one has absolutely loved it and the parts quality is way better than the Caster products in the past. Just trying to figure out what the problem(s) are. I know that Caster will be much more aggressive in 2009 and that they have been holding back as to not make the same mistakes as some of the other manufacturers.
I can't add anything to my collection till i get in my own place, I just moved and living with sister. I'm more of a truggy guy myself anyways, so i await the truggy. Speaking of which, When will it be available?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.