Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba Max vs. Sidewinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max vs. Sidewinder

Aside from the obvious difference in the programming interface (Mamba Max includes a Castle Link versus Sidewinder requiring Castle Link), what is the real difference between these two?

I've glanced at their spec, most likely written by their marketing folks, and couldn't really deduce anything since:

Mamba Max:
Continuous(Current): 100A

Sidewinder:
Continuous(Current): More than you can handle! <------ That's marketing talk!

So what are we actually paying for in performance difference between the two?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the mamba is better but for the price of the sidewinder
u will get the same speed the same timing ...etc. i have a mamba and
i love have no problems w/it but u can down load the link on the
CC web sight
Old 09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Max vs Sidewinder, SW is limited to 4600: Up to 3s LiPo 12 cell NiMH
or 5700: Up to 2s LiPo 8 cell NiMH

MM up to and including 7700: Up to 3s LiPo 12 cell NiMH

My Max has the USB port on the ESC to plug directly into PC. (tons of options)
My SW needs CastleLink, unplug esc from receiver, plug esc into Castlelink and to computer. Same options)
Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The Pres of Castle used to post on RCM and he explained they would not rate their esc in amps since there was no standard test protocol. He said Castle wouldn't inflate their numbers to match competitors to look competitive so their products would be at a disadvantage on paper if they were to rate them. They offer no rating.

I've got both, but haven't used the Sidewinder yet. Have seen nothing about a continuous rating on the forums I belong too.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Aside from the obvious difference in the programming interface (Mamba Max includes a Castle Link versus Sidewinder requiring Castle Link)
Actually, that's not true. It's pretty misleading.

With a Mamba Max system, you get a simple USB-miniUSB cable that you can use to hook up the Mamba ESC to your PC's USB port. But it's not the Castle Link that all other Castle systems use, so you will still need to purchase Castle Link for other devices if you wanna be able to program them (e.g. Castle UBEC).

Castle Link includes that very same USB-miniUSB cable and also a miniUSB-3pin servo port device to connect stuff...
Old 09-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

My friend has tried both the Mamba Max and Sidewinder in the same car and he says the braking in the Sidewinder is not as strong as with the MM. Now I don't know if he had the brake settings the same but he ended up selling his Sidewinder.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When the sidewinder was initially released, it was marketed as a 70 amp esc which should give you an idea of how it compares to the mamba max. The amount of programing that can be done is exactly the same as that of a Sidewinder.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thisguy80
My friend has tried both the Mamba Max and Sidewinder in the same car and he says the braking in the Sidewinder is not as strong as with the MM. Now I don't know if he had the brake settings the same but he ended up selling his Sidewinder.
This is what I have found out as well. The MM is about 10% stronger on the brakes than the Sidewinder is, especially when using drag brakes as that is where I see it the most. I use 10% more on my Sidewinders than the MM.

The MM can handle hotter brushless motors and is less likely to thermal than the Sidewinder. I tested my prototype Sidewinder and the Production version Sidewinder and the brakes are the same.

In my 2wd buggy I run the 4600/Sidewinder combo for around 9 months and it has worked great. Now when I run my 4wd car I will use the MM since I will run either the 5700 or 6900 motor and the speedo tends to run hotter in the 4wd car so I will use the MM for that reason.

Both work great and are fully adjustable and updateable with the Castle Link so it is a very cool system.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any of the ratings can be found here: http://www.castlespecialprojects.com...ntrollers.html
Old 09-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Mamba Max Pro? Is this the rumored Mamba Max with the sensored port?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Tech Regular

As far we know (info from CC boss) mamba max pro will be

Up to 5S lipo
Switch BEC
slighly lower power handling then Mamba Max
No USB port, must use Castle link
"Feature port" mostly for Rock crawler use
Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

So I'm not sure I follow....I assume the MM is the better system. But the Sidewinder is pretty much just as good???.....Yes?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VVRC
So I'm not sure I follow....I assume the MM is the better system. But the Sidewinder is pretty much just as good???.....Yes?
For the most part. If you want to run 4600 and 5700 motors the Sidewinder is great but if you want to run the 6900 and 7700 motors you will need to use the MM. I also think if you are running it in a 4wd car I would use the MM as well as it tolerates the heat better.

I would say if your bashing or just running some local races in mod (not ROAR races) the Sidewinder is fine. I have raced mine for 9 plus months almost every weekend and still works like the day it was new.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wyd
For the most part. If you want to run 4600 and 5700 motors the Sidewinder is great but if you want to run the 6900 and 7700 motors you will need to use the MM. I also think if you are running it in a 4wd car I would use the MM as well as it tolerates the heat better.

I would say if your bashing or just running some local races in mod (not ROAR races) the Sidewinder is fine. I have raced mine for 9 plus months almost every weekend and still works like the day it was new.
Okay sweet; but the little spreadsheet on Castle's website says that you can't run 3S lipo with the MM 6900 or 7700, correct?

And if so....and you really want to go FAST...the Sidewinder 5700 with 3S is perfect.

You also say "not ROAR races"....do they not allow Sidewinders?

Last edited by RCRat; 09-18-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added 0
Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

I actually run a sidwinder in my 2wd and 4wd. I've never had an issue and the price is right. SO it depends on how fast you want to go, for racing a 4600/5700 should be plenty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.