Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is my ESC toast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Default Is my ESC toast?

I've been sick as a dog and bored, so I decided to swap out my esc wiring with Wet Noodles.

My soldering iron is only a baby, and it took a while to get all of the old build-up off a few of the posts. I didn't heat them for too long at a time, but it took ages to get most of the gunk off.

Anyway, by the time I got the new wires on, hoked it up, and ran it on a stand, I started getting smoke. Damn. Only a bit so I stopped, gave it 5 minutes and got PO'd, so started it up again. The smaller heat sink was scorching, so I unhooked it agian.

Now, by this stage I was getting grumpy as I spent a good deal of time tidying it up, so I let it cool down and then hooked it up and took it outside.

It didn't get hot, but has no brakes.

Any ideas?

I'm in NZ, and guessing it's too much cost and trouble to get it sent 1/2 way across the world for repair!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

I'd make sure there's no stray solder connecting two solder points...but if you already got smoke, something in the ESC definitely poofed. When it comes to electronics, smoke means something died a fiery death - there's no "almost" dead. If you accidentally created a short with some stray solder, that'd do it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i forgot what the name is exactly but there is a part that will blow on the speedos that kills only the brakes.....so yeah you prob will need a new speedo. just make sure to reset everything and to make sure all the wires are connect correctly first.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, thanks for that guys. I figured it was dead.

I opened it up, and the solder on the PCB looked as though it had heated up and spread out a bit. I'm guessing it's now to be binned.

It was the small heat sink that was scorching, and i'm guessing that the large sink is for forward, and the small one for reverse. May be completely wrong, but it's irrelavent now!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're running brushed motors, I have a brand new in package Novak GT7 that I will sell for $75 USD shipped.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the offer, sounds like a good deal, but I think i'll use this as an excuse to go brushless
Old 09-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Sounds like you burned out the brake fets. If the speedo is Novak, you can return it and exchange for a factory refurbished with a new warranty or you can upgrade to a newer better ESC. Fee is very reasonable.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah heat sink got hot, you smoked the reversing mosfet. keep it and have no brakes/reverse or send it in for repair/refurb.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Smile

Thanks for that nutz, i'll look into it.

If all else fails, I guess I could just use it as forward only. No brakes, that's how real men ride