Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
I'm kinda surprised Losi hasn't publicly put any effort into making one.
I think they already did.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
I think they already did.
Well besides the DT I mean, that's just a XXX-T with some funny doodads stuck on it. I mean like a new CORR-style truck to go with the Slash and whatever Associated comes out with
Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Suspended

Well besides the DT I mean, that's just a XXX-T with some funny doodads stuck on it. I mean like a new CORR-style truck to go with the Slash and whatever Associated comes out with
Yeah, I agree ~ but then again all the Slash is is a worked over Rustler, by no means a new design.
Personally, I think both companies did it to get rid of excess inventory.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Who says you need to change everything to call it "new"? I think it's a good thing the Slash takes parts from the Rustler, that way there's already parts availability and aftermarket support. Heck, look at the 1:1 auto industry, how many of the parts in your car also fit that same model 5, 10, or 15 years in either direction, or other models in that make's lineup? I think if you take a Hummer H3 apart, it's mostly bits and pieces from the Chevy Colorado.

After driving a Slash myself I can attest that despite having a typical 1/10th stadium truck design, they're a whole different animal to drive. They're not perfectly balanced & glued to the track (and if I really wanted that I'd get into carpet racing), they pitch & roll & slide; you really have to drive them. Being full-bodied means it's safer to run them side by side & not worry about driving over each other's tires, so the racing should get a lot more competitive.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Suspended

Who says you need to change everything to call it "new"?
I think you did.

After driving a Slash myself I can attest that despite having a typical 1/10th stadium truck design, they're a whole different animal to drive. They're not perfectly balanced & glued to the track (and if I really wanted that I'd get into carpet racing), they pitch & roll & slide; you really have to drive them. Being full-bodied means it's safer to run them side by side & not worry about driving over each other's tires, so the racing should get a lot more competitive.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the new class and the opportunities of it bringing people back to offroad and/or electric ~ and I'm happy to see the manufacturers have embraced it as well as they have.
But I've driven both the Slash and the DT and honestly they share a lot of the same mishandling (no offense) characteristics primarily due to a higher CG and the lack of grip tires ~ nothing wrong with it, just is what it is. Only thing I can't quite put my arms around was horizon/losi's decision not to make the body larger to fit the wheels in the wells.
But by the time AE comes out with there's along with Thunder Tech's entry that is supposedly weeks away adding to the already existing Losi and Traxxas entires it should make for an interesting field of steeds.
It's all good...
Old 07-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Ok here's my "uneducated" guess about the new associated truck.

It's going to be a 1/8 scale gas powered pro-4 style truck.

The banner is indeed labeled as "SC8", which leads me to believe it stands for "Short Course 8". So sounds like a 1/8 scale truck to me........
Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MattP

The banner is indeed labeled as "SC8", which leads me to believe it stands for "Short Course 8". So sounds like a 1/8 scale truck to me........
ehh...1/8th scale I'm not worried about, people question whether or not the Slash can be considered 1/10th scale looking at it sitting next to a Rustler. So it could probably be labeled "1/8th Scale" and still be the same size as a Slash.

4x4 nitro...man I hope not.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MattP

ROFLMAO

Considering how long it took AE to bring their RC8 to market, and taking into consideration that nitro is anything but thriving in the current economic market, that lipo and bl conversions are all the rage, and considering that I would think they know where their bread has long been buttered ~~~ I'd guess that there is about as much chance of them bringing out another nitro about as like as me getting sexually abused by Jessica Alba AND Angie Harmon at the same time.

But I could be wrong...
Old 07-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hmm SC8 based on the RC8, I think i like that even more!

Especially as I have a RC8-E conversion
Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TwoTone
That is the other appeal of the Slash class, charge the battery and race it. I think there are a lot more people then you think that just don't feel like constantly tweaking their trucks.
This was the appeal of the sedan class when it first started too.

There is no way a class will grow if you try to keep it a box stock class. Racers will not stand for a class with no modifications. They must tinker and try to go faster. It is the nature of the beast.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TwoTone
I think you're way off. I know I'm new to the forums, but what got my back into RC after 10 years was the cost of the Slash. You can't beat it for the amount of fun.

I already went down the serious racer crap in sedan years ago, not looking for that again. That is the other appeal of the Slash class, charge the battery and race it. I think there are a lot more people then you think that just don't feel like constantly tweaking their trucks.
It's fun now because it's new, but the novelty soon wears off.

Honestly, I'm with Rick on this one.
I hate to even try and formulate a list of vehicles that came on the market over the last 20 years in which somebody didn't try to force into some spec classification ~ and I also can't remember a single one of them that still survives.
And why? Because real racers soon find themselves bored with something they're not allowed to tinker or twist on, manufacturers don't get behind because they're selling base is limited, and aftermarket parts makers don't touch because there's no market. There's little light at the end of the tunnel.

Can a stock Desert Truck class make an inroad into the hobby? Absolutely.
But not on their own as a totally RTR, as it comes out of the box class.

Racing is all about making a better mousetrap.
Bashing is about leaving well enough alone.

The choice all depends on your interest and your poison.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts
It's fun now because it's new, but the novelty soon wears off.

I hate to even try and formulate a list of vehicles that came on the market over the last 20 years in which somebody didn't try to force into some spec classification ~ and I also can't remember a single one of them that still survives.
And why? Because real racers soon find themselves bored with something they're not allowed to tinker or twist on, manufacturers don't get behind because they're selling base is limited, and aftermarket parts makers don't touch because there's no market. There's little light at the end of the tunnel..
Well, to listen to you would mean Tamiya is failing with their TCS Racing Formula.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JDCrow
Well, to listen to you would mean Tamiya is failing with their TCS Racing Formula.
Tamiya only has one spec class...the rest are pretty much wide-open for mods as long as you use their parts. Some require a plastic chassis and they all have a certain motor, but that's about it.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDCrow
...and to ad to what Turbo Joe said, the TCS series is pretty much soley sponsored and supported by Tamaiya ~ so unless you have some insider knowledge that one of the other majors are going to follow their limited lead I don't see it happening.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

The only time spec racing works is when the house owns the cars, IROC style. I remember S&N's Trackside had a couple of Evader Shootouts at their weekend races, brand new straight out of the box Evaders all running the same battery, and the first time all the drivers saw their cars was when they set them on the track. Fun as all get-out to watch

I gotta throw my hat in with Rick and rocket, whenever someone talks about strict rules & regulations, to me it sounds like they're saying "I want to be a top-class A-Main driver, but I'm not going to put forth any effort whatsoever to get myself to that level."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.