Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Faulty Lipo pack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Faulty Lipo pack?

I took my 1/8 matrix buggy out for its maiden votage yesterday and its very quick

so quick that i lost control and hit a wall

when it hit the wall, it dented one of my lipos. Now when i try to charge it, my charger only detects 3s, not 4s..

I was wondering if it can be fixed...

heres a pic of both my lipos, the one on the left is the damaged one..

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=P5140039.jpg
Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

That pack looks like it is a 4s2p pack. Which is 4 in series 2 in parallel.

Anyways the last 2 cells which will be in parallel with each other are damaged. They are not repairable. You could possibly send it back to the manufacturer and they may be willing replace those cells. You need to contact them.

DO NOT try to charge the pack any more.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by leigh18
I took my 1/8 matrix buggy out for its maiden votage yesterday and its very quick

so quick that i lost control and hit a wall

when it hit the wall, it dented one of my lipos. Now when i try to charge it, my charger only detects 3s, not 4s..

I was wondering if it can be fixed...

heres a pic of both my lipos, the one on the left is the damaged one..

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=P5140039.jpg
Do not attempt to charge that pack, it has been damaged and could potentially be dangerous. I would call the manufacturer for their specific instructions to make the pack inert. Usually consists of soaking the pack in a solution to inactivate the lithium.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've seen packs run ok with more damage than that, but it all depends on if there has been a short inside or not.

What I have seen... the pack will still work (seemingly fine) but eventually the damaged cells will puff and need to be junked.

Best thing to do though, is check with TrueRc about getting the cells replaced. (assuming it's their purple pack )
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Can't see the pics behind the firewall, but assuming its the 8000mah pack correct?

You could try removing the bad cells yourself and just using the good ones. If you setup is a hot one (say a 1512 1.5D or 2D motor) the lower voltage could make things a lot more controllable. You just need to make sure that you setup on 3S can handle the load.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Ive already had a lipo fire and it caused a lot of collateral damage. Be very careful with that battery and do not charge it any further.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Initiate

I have the following in matrix 1/8th nitro buggy conversion..

feigao 9xl
MM ESC
CC BEC
True RC 4s 8000

Oh u forgot to mention that i was bashing for about an hour on this pack before i hit the wall, and it was still showing no signs of slowing down yet!

I thought that like the Sub C packs that u could desolder the cells affected and replace them with good ones?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 AM
Tech Adept

I would strongly suggest only investing in Hard-Cased lipo packs. The casing is not really there to protect from explosion due to misuse, accidents, negligence, etc. (though its way better than shrink-wrap)... but it is there instead to help protect the contents of the pack (the electrolytes) from being punctured, etc. and at the same time still be light on weight.