Thanks for the responses. I love customizing stuff. Back when I was younger, I will never forget the day I had the epiphany. I had several kits all in various stages of disassembly and I thought, hmm lets mix and match this stuff and see where it goes. I had a blast. I made all sorts of concoctions. Like for running in the snow I made skis to attach to my front axles on my Tamiya Falcon. Then I made mini-tracks (like on a snowmobile) and attached them to the rear axles (took a while to get them to stay together). Then I made a cover for the plastic tub chassis to keep moisture out of the electronics and finally put a cover over the motor so I wouldn't kill it. That thing was fun as hell.
I just remember the plethora of custom conversion kits that were out there for the RC10. Now that I am older and have access to play money
and better tools I am going to take this all the way. I am picking up the RC10 this weekend. It is in bad shape. I will post pics of it as is when I get it.
Some of my design goals.
1. Want to hit speeds in the 60mph range. I am thinking in the area of a Novak GTB 3.5T brushless system with a 3 cell 11.1 volt 8000mah LiPo battery.
2. Custom adjustable front wing for downforce over the front tires (a good idea for a rear wheel drive). Probably do a bumper mod for that.
3. Custom adjustable rear wing.
4. Belt drive system for the tranny. I would like to try an adapt the rear assembly from the TC5 to it or find the old Hyperdrive belt system so i can turn the tranny backwards and have the motor mounted more midship.
5. Going to make custom air ducts in the body to direct air over ESC and motor as well as add headlights, tail lights, and custom ground kit. I will spray the interior of the body with several coats of hard enamel in between layers of clear latex spray to add rigidity to the body to keep it strong and aerodynamic. It will also be fastened to the sides of the tub chassis to keep the sides from shaking while moving under speed.
6. I want to use alot of aluminum. The extra weight will keep it stable at higher speeds.
This will be a long project but as I get stuff done or have questions, I will post my progress here. I encourage anyone else who is doing similar stuff to share it here as well.