Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom modding thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default Custom modding thread

I wasn't sure where to create this thread but I thought it would be nice to have a place where people can talk about techniques for custom mods and scratch builds.

The reason why I started this thread is that my brother-in-law has an old school RC10 Gold Tub and I want to restore it and mod it out. I want to make it an urban street tuner. So it would be like an on-road but with a higher ride height to handle the unpredictability of racing in the streets. I also want to customize a body for it with little ducts to funnel air to heat sinks and stuff and add lights to it as well. I will also make a custom wing for it. It will be a fun project for me.

So share your ideas. Post your pics and lets talk some shop!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

First couple parts you need to "source" are RC10 DS front/rear arms and rear bones. This will narrow the standard 10 to touring car width. Scour ebay, I am positive a full set of new arms are on there for $10 buy-it-now. The "real" DS also used a flat/narrowed nose plate, that will probably be a must have also.

I have resto-modded a few RC 10s lately (off road), and am currently revising a JRX Pro SE. I plan on racing at least 1 of my '10s and the JRX, brushless & lipo for both.

Good luck, and post pictures of what you have, and draw up some plans on what you want to try to accomplish with it.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

First off I like your idea for this project. It is interesting because I remeber a couple of years ago when I just started R/C going to the library and checking out all the R/C car books. Most of them where pretty old and they showed pictures of the Rc10's and such. They talked about how often time they would put street tires and a sedan body on them. JK racing is correct here is the link to the RC10DS a-arms http://cgi.ebay.com/RC10-dual-sport-...QQcmdZViewItem . I am sorry I don't really know much about RC10's or restoring them.Though I have had two of them and currently have one in my possesion.

I love the idea for this thread. When I started in R/C I started an ugly cycle where I would buy a car run it, break, get bored , and sell it. Then start all over. This cycle got me through 6 cars before I stopped. I realized that with no job and being only 13 or 14 that I couldn't run the cars like I was. So I decided to start my first project.I discovered that I would love making something custom and it would keep me occupied longer then running a car. I have been working on it for almost 2 years now. It basically is going to be a 4wd truck with a tc3 drivetrain. Almost like a B44 or BJ4 truck except my version (custom hingepinless suspension, laydown shocks,etc ). I am working on the newest version which can be found here... Its called the TR3 http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146640

I also have started a B4 buggy project which I call the K2. Its going to be based off of the B4 but will have a motor layout similar to a Tc3 it will also have laydown shocks. It can be found here...http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=208560

My third project that I am working on is a Custom 3wheel vehicle with one wheel in the front for steering and two in the rear serving as the drive wheels. Its going to be using a rear t3 suspension in the rear and custom lexan suspension and steering in the front. It can be found here...
http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=208818

Good luck with your build and if you have any questions just ask. I hope this thread really picks up. I think making custom cars is one of the best things you can do in this hobby.

Peace
Ethan
Team Kassanova
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm glad someone started this too.

i never thought of putting a touring shell on a buggy. i'd like to see how that looks.

i've converted a 1/8 buggy to run twin brushless motors. having a little trouble keeping driveshafts in place though. gonna get rid of the dogbone setup and get some uni joints, hopefully i'll manage to finish a race then.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the responses. I love customizing stuff. Back when I was younger, I will never forget the day I had the epiphany. I had several kits all in various stages of disassembly and I thought, hmm lets mix and match this stuff and see where it goes. I had a blast. I made all sorts of concoctions. Like for running in the snow I made skis to attach to my front axles on my Tamiya Falcon. Then I made mini-tracks (like on a snowmobile) and attached them to the rear axles (took a while to get them to stay together). Then I made a cover for the plastic tub chassis to keep moisture out of the electronics and finally put a cover over the motor so I wouldn't kill it. That thing was fun as hell.

I just remember the plethora of custom conversion kits that were out there for the RC10. Now that I am older and have access to play money and better tools I am going to take this all the way. I am picking up the RC10 this weekend. It is in bad shape. I will post pics of it as is when I get it.

Some of my design goals.

1. Want to hit speeds in the 60mph range. I am thinking in the area of a Novak GTB 3.5T brushless system with a 3 cell 11.1 volt 8000mah LiPo battery.
2. Custom adjustable front wing for downforce over the front tires (a good idea for a rear wheel drive). Probably do a bumper mod for that.
3. Custom adjustable rear wing.
4. Belt drive system for the tranny. I would like to try an adapt the rear assembly from the TC5 to it or find the old Hyperdrive belt system so i can turn the tranny backwards and have the motor mounted more midship.
5. Going to make custom air ducts in the body to direct air over ESC and motor as well as add headlights, tail lights, and custom ground kit. I will spray the interior of the body with several coats of hard enamel in between layers of clear latex spray to add rigidity to the body to keep it strong and aerodynamic. It will also be fastened to the sides of the tub chassis to keep the sides from shaking while moving under speed.
6. I want to use alot of aluminum. The extra weight will keep it stable at higher speeds.

This will be a long project but as I get stuff done or have questions, I will post my progress here. I encourage anyone else who is doing similar stuff to share it here as well.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomBlaze
1. Want to hit speeds in the 60mph range. I am thinking in the area of a Novak GTB 3.5T brushless system with a 3 cell 11.1 volt 8000mah LiPo battery
I dont think the GTB can take 11.1V, check the Mamba Max from Castle though, they can take lots of power. Not to mention sensorless (in my opinion faster) and less expensive.

Oh, I have 2 Novaks (10.5 and 6.5) and 1 Mamba (4600), and I feel the Mamba is just as quick/fast as my 6.5, I only run 7.4 lipos or 6 cell NiMh, so the comparison is fair (and I tested them in the same vehicle & similar gearing).
Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

I just found out I have access to a machine shop. So I figured why not create my own suspension/stabilizer assemblies? Below is a diagram of what I am trying to accomplish. Keep in mind it is not to scale and it is in a very rough stage of development. I came up with this idea because of all I have read about aluminum being too rigid limiting chassis flex. This basic idea should alleviate that as well as improve cornering and handling at high speeds by keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

Input is needed here. I am a novice with suspension geometry though it seems pretty straightforward logic.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Unless you want to have something unusual that looks like it would cause inconsistent dampening.