Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most popular(best) brushless combo for B44

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm glad that you guys feel that the mamba system is the best but everytime I go to the mamba thread there is a question on the inconsistent throttle feel in which the reply is always there are new things to come.. So I would just stay away from the current systems until they actually come out with a fix for problems posted on thier thread.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

Yet another good post, man, coming back into the hobby has entailed more decisions than I thought with all of the different brushless combos and LiPos and what not my head is spinning. I guess one question I haven't seen asked is do any pros use Mambas, which isn't a good question since they use the product of whoever sponsors them. Have Mambas won any major races or do they not sponsor as many drivers as Associated (LRP) or Novak?
Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sandbagger!
My issues were not so much with the cogging (though I had experianced it), but with the level of inconsistancy. I run a tight track with a typical double single for stock, which in turn is a tight triple for mod. This is where it would be most noticable. 2 parts - air control and consistancy. After running BOTH, I notice that the LRP has much more consistancy and ability to make mid air adjustments. I could not get the mamba to throttle in air, and upon the short ramp I never knew if I was to over shoot or hit short. Also, it seemed to be like a light switch. If you were 25% it was slow but if you hit 50% it would take off like 75%. I spent too much time trying to make it work and could never get it to how smooth the LRP is out of the box.

To say that for even the club racer this would not matter much, I would have to strongly disagree. Speed is not the factor for a new racer but consistancy. So how is someone to learn with an inconsistant power delivery. Yes, someone with mod experiance or a highend driver could take the system and put down fast laps, but I doubt they would take it with them to a large race. As far as the mamba for crawling, everyone I can tell is using brushed 55 turn lathe motors so we are not even talking about brushless. I like the mamba system for anything other than competetive racing. If you take it out in your yard, you will have some fun no doubt. Programable, and I never had mine thermal. If you want to buy a B44 and race for real, sensored.
About a year ago.. I was running on a small indoor high bite track and I thought I was seeing some inconsistency too... but since then I have not noticed. They worked great last time I raced them in both truck and 4wd, so I can't complain at all. I'm not good enough to win these big races... but I'm not too far off the pace. I was as competitive as I have ever been with the really fast guys, and never once thought that the MM was holding me back.

I know it's possible that maybe I could have been a little better with an LRP system... but who knows. I had fun and didn't have any problems with what I ran. My buggy was running great too with a 7.5 LRP.... should have made the A for the first time ever at this race but puked away a couple qualifiers. I suk.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Castle is not a "racers" oriented company and they don't get it. They have a handful of sponsored guys, but often they don't even communicate with them, don't listen and react to their feedback, etc..... things might be different if they did, and the little issues might not exist.

I for one have never said the Mamba is the greatest, and certainly not when it comes to high level racing. But it's not nearly as bad as some like to shout from the rooftops.

btw, that last big weekend race... I noticed a glitch 2 times in my 4wd and none in my truck that I recall.

Word on the street is that the new software will improve the initial throttle startup (better more accurate sensing of the rotor position)... that means less cogging and it should mean that my "glitch" will go bye-bye. Also, there will be much better dead band adjustment features that will allow it to be tailored to any radio and allow very low throttle input.... slow crawl.

I don't know if this will actually come true, or when... but if it is true, it will be a huge leap toward being a high-end level system, esp when used with a normal race motor like Trinity/Orion/Speedpassion and probably even Novak.

I may be moving on to try another brand very soon... but for anyone with a MM, this will be big.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by absoluttorque
Yet another good post, man, coming back into the hobby has entailed more decisions than I thought with all of the different brushless combos and LiPos and what not my head is spinning. I guess one question I haven't seen asked is do any pros use Mambas, which isn't a good question since they use the product of whoever sponsors them. Have Mambas won any major races or do they not sponsor as many drivers as Associated (LRP) or Novak?
Well in Airplanes and 1/18th scale racing they are dominate with many National wins. The 1/10th system was brought out not to actually race as it was for bashers. They do have a small team for flying, boat racing,mini racing and many of them race 1/10th scale as well.

I used my Mamba Max in when I was 3rd at the Region 2 Touring Car asphalt race in August in stock.

I normally talk to Castle once every week or two along with 2 other Castle sponsored racers. We keep up on all stuff that is going on and what will be coming out.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Craps... I don't know about you but when I am racing... my car doesn't stop or roll backwards. It goes like this:

We all know you don't like Mambas. If you want to talk about the smoothest system money can buy it's LRP. ha ha ha
Having all 3 I have to agree,I like the lrp esc the best. However since you are dealing with craps and he runs novak to him that is the only system to have and everything else is well crap. lol:
Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)

im sure the lrp units are nice but their customer service is crap.. why bother with a company that has crappy customer service
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chewiefttc4
im sure the lrp units are nice but their customer service is crap.. why bother with a company that has crappy customer service
To have one of the best products on the market. Also, I have sent in a V7.1 in the past and had no problems. It took a few weeks but they sent out a brand new unit. I was able to reach customer service and they stated at the time they were out and awaiting the next shipment.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I have only dealt with lrp's customer service once but I was happy with there support. They fixed my esc and had it back to me in two weeks.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I'm glad that you guys feel that the mamba system is the best but everytime I go to the mamba thread there is a question on the inconsistent throttle feel in which the reply is always there are new things to come.. So I would just stay away from the current systems until they actually come out with a fix for problems posted on thier thread.
I raced at the Reo Indiana track EVERYONE electric except one guy ran brushless mod(he won the race!!)had a Mamba system.
I was a misfit down there because I had the Novak GTB system that was ROAR legal. If I wouldnt have broke and left I probably would have won.
The guy that won had a 12 Turn Team Checkpoint BRUSHED mod motor.
The guy ran a T4 with that motor and pulled real good lap times.
So apparently something isnt right with the mamba's.
Mainly they are a basher's dream motor, because you can run
some serious voltage thru them, but racing they are not up to par.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

the brushed motors produce drag brake by themselves which helps transfer weight to the front tires. and helps steering
if your running a mamba system since its such a free turning system program 25 percent dragbrake into it and youll notice a night and day difference in handling.. thats what i had to do with mine. i ran brushed motor and my b4 was dialed then when i put in the mamba it wanted to push aroudn the corners
i tried dialing in more steering. no avail the min i applied some drag brake i had MY STEERING BACK and my car was friggin faster than ever.
i was playing with drag brake in both 2wd and 4wd i find that 30 percent is a tad bit too much for 2wd but is right at home in 4wd it really gets the nose in and some nice steering
for 2wd i found 25 percent to be the best because 20 percent was too little. although with 20 percent it was better than nothing.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sandbagger!
My issues were not so much with the cogging (though I had experianced it), but with the level of inconsistancy. I run a tight track with a typical double single for stock, which in turn is a tight triple for mod. This is where it would be most noticable. 2 parts - air control and consistancy. After running BOTH, I notice that the LRP has much more consistancy and ability to make mid air adjustments. I could not get the mamba to throttle in air, and upon the short ramp I never knew if I was to over shoot or hit short. Also, it seemed to be like a light switch. If you were 25% it was slow but if you hit 50% it would take off like 75%. I spent too much time trying to make it work and could never get it to how smooth the LRP is out of the box.

To say that for even the club racer this would not matter much, I would have to strongly disagree. Speed is not the factor for a new racer but consistancy. So how is someone to learn with an inconsistant power delivery. Yes, someone with mod experiance or a highend driver could take the system and put down fast laps, but I doubt they would take it with them to a large race. As far as the mamba for crawling, everyone I can tell is using brushed 55 turn lathe motors so we are not even talking about brushless. I like the mamba system for anything other than competetive racing. If you take it out in your yard, you will have some fun no doubt. Programable, and I never had mine thermal. If you want to buy a B44 and race for real, sensored.
Great post!

Sensored is for racing!
Sensorless is for bashing!

Who cares about rock crawling?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Those Mamba fix threads are multi page and all full of "I can't get rid of the cog" issues or it's not smooth problem!

Why are they coming out with a fix if these guys say it is already good???

Just go to one of those Mamba fix threads, read away and decide for yourself!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

cause they dont know what settings to use to fix the problem and most of them are probably running crappy shotgun style stick packs.. that doesnt help at all.. youll notice a difference in performance when your running even a good nimh to lipo.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
Those Mamba fix threads are multi page and all full of "I can't get rid of the cog" issues or it's not smooth problem!

Why are they coming out with a fix if these guys say it is already good???

Just go to one of those Mamba fix threads, read away and decide for yourself!
So you saying that no company makes improvements to products!!!!!!!!!!!!! So when Spektrum systems take too much power from the receiver and cause a loss of control they should not of made a fix for this because basically that is what you are saying is not to improve anything. I hope you don't make any products because it would be 100% perfect I'm sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.