Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2wd or 4wd???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Go with a b4, it is a great beginner car and it is very durable and easy to build.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_Suzuki
now the issue of cars which would be better for a begginer:

2wd:

B4
rb5
sv2
xxx-cr

4wd:
b44
cyclone d4
academy 4wd

Based on what are common comments on the vehicles, for 2wd, ones that seem to be easier to drive for newbies I would say the XXX-CR and RB5. initial reports also would put the GV2 up there.

Now, why do I say that? Its because of the initial "push" they experience compared to the B4s tendency to have really agressive steering. For newbies, this push can help getting around the track easier. I like the B4, it fits my driving style, but I can see where it can frustrate a newbie with that really agressive steering.

As for durability, I would say they all are close on that. I really didn't have anything I would call major breakage issues with the B4 (T4 different story, eats arms).

As for 4wd , the Academy SBV2 Pro (go with the pro model only!) is highly durable and an excellent performer. I would say those reasons alone make it an excellent first 4wd buggy. The B44 from reports also is showing that it can be durable too and has the performance of the BJ4 WE in it. Excellent vehicle so far too, especially for the price.

I would say consider these things:

1. What current TC you run (could be parts compatibility)
2. What your LHS stocks (if that matters to you)
3. What other drivers are using for setup help (if that matters to you)
4. What kind of pack configuration you want to use( stick or saddle)
5. What is the highest class turnout for the ones you are interested in.
6. Which class you find the coolest.

Ultimately, you need to see what class you like the most, and go from there. Regardless if 2wd buggy will make you a better driver, if you don't like the class or the turnout sucks, what good does that do you?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here's my opinion:

2WD stock truck is the best all-around class for offroad beginners, but 4WD might be a better choice for you since you have a tc background. 2WD mod buggy is by far the most fun and difficult class in R/C racing. It will be frustrating at first, but 2WD mod buggy will make you a much better driver in the long run. I have also witnessed good nitro drivers pick up a B4 thinking they would be able to drive it as well as their 1/8 nitro buggies and become very frustrated. Good entertainment for everyone.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

thanks for all the info! Figured it was better to ask someone who knows.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If you go the 4wd buggy route make sure you stay away from the losi xxx4. It has major breakage issues.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I still think 4wd is probably one of the funner classes and trucks are alot of fun too. A 2wd buggy can be VERY frustrating when starting out or if your setup is off but when setup right it can be very rewarding. Out of trucks, 4wd, and 2wd buggy I always wind up running my B4 more--simply because I would like to improve my driving, also nailing some good laps with a buggy is awesome as it is so difficult and takes such concentration.

Even coming from a TC, I still say to start out off-road in a buggy either stock or 19t--this way once you get really good at the buggy--you will be really fast in 4wd. There is nothing that hones your off-road skills like 2wd buggy.

At my local track, 2wd mod is a crazy class to watch--seeing how some of these guys stick to the track at the speeds they go is simply incredible.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
Based on what are common comments on the vehicles, for 2wd, ones that seem to be easier to drive for newbies I would say the XXX-CR and RB5. initial reports also would put the GV2 up there.

Now, why do I say that? Its because of the initial "push" they experience compared to the B4s tendency to have really agressive steering. For newbies, this push can help getting around the track easier. I like the B4, it fits my driving style, but I can see where it can frustrate a newbie with that really agressive steering.

As for durability, I would say they all are close on that. I really didn't have anything I would call major breakage issues with the B4 (T4 different story, eats arms).

As for 4wd , the Academy SBV2 Pro (go with the pro model only!) is highly durable and an excellent performer. I would say those reasons alone make it an excellent first 4wd buggy. The B44 from reports also is showing that it can be durable too and has the performance of the BJ4 WE in it. Excellent vehicle so far too, especially for the price.

I would say consider these things:

1. What current TC you run (could be parts compatibility)
2. What your LHS stocks (if that matters to you)
3. What other drivers are using for setup help (if that matters to you)
4. What kind of pack configuration you want to use( stick or saddle)
5. What is the highest class turnout for the ones you are interested in.
6. Which class you find the coolest.

Ultimately, you need to see what class you like the most, and go from there. Regardless if 2wd buggy will make you a better driver, if you don't like the class or the turnout sucks, what good does that do you?
1. Losi Jrxs pro(not type r)
2. lhs stocks most big brands except for xray
3. most driver run 1/8scale nitro, but were starting an electric classes
4. im using lipos.
5. unsure yet
6. buggy and 4wd never really like the looks of the truggies

also would brushed or brushless be better, right now in my touring car ive got a mamba 4600 system, i can get some brushes motors, but what do you people prefere???
Old 12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Just go and run your mamba in the buggy. You can pick up some velcro tape and use it to hold the esc in place. This will allow you to switch it from car to car w/ ease.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I would say if you like your mamba setup, go with another one, probably a 5700 unit if you feel comfortable with more power.

I ran a 5700 mamba unit in my Academy SB V2 Pro and I loved how it performed. Gave me the right amount of power. Other units from other manufacturers work well too. Ultimately, it comes down to your personal preference and what your track allows. You could see about doing a spec level with the other drivers since the class is starting up. Same ESC and motor setup.

the main knock on the mamba I had was the positioning of the data port. if it came in at a top down angle, you can put the ESC wherever you want pretty much. with it on the side, if you want to access it, it has to go in a certain way. You can still configure the ESC quite well as you know without it, but I liked to use it.

I wouldn't do another brushed motor unless that was the class rules. Just much less headache using a brushless setup.

Based on the vehicle you run for touring, I would have a dilemma. I didn't really like the XXX-4 on rough stuff, and if nitros run on the track you will run on, it will be rough. Since you already have lipos, assuming they are sticks, fit will be an issue on the XX-4 or X-5 I believe. Best bet may be one of the other manufacturers, unless you don't mind running saddles in a XX-4. I still have a soft place for the XX-4, it was my first 4wd race vehicle. got one of the very first that came out.

This really assumes that 4wd is where the class ends up going. I woudl think nitro offroad guys for the 1/8 scale classes would like a 4wd electric vehicle.

here is another question for you, looking at the various vehicles out there that have your attention, what do you want to know specifically about each one? That may help in your decision making.