Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5 is here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys. Reading some of the problems you have been having, and I am having similar problems. My shock ends went bad and the screw came through the top of it and snapped the shock shaft, I then replaced all 4 with Ofna ones from my old buggy. I have so far had a Shock shaft broken (replaced with a Kanai shaft), Rear arm broken, and a snapped the front hinge plate in half. I have also had trouble with the shock bladders, replaced with kanai bladders also. I am running 5,7,1 diff oil, but my car has heavy push in medium speed turning. I have trouble with the sweeper at my track and the high speed oval turns, my car wants to launch into the boards. Otherwise, I love the way it turns.

Its a good jumper, easy to level out and all, but I plan on getting lots of thick aluminum to weigh it down so It won't jump as lightly. I am running a Rz-v01b/063 combination, and this thing launches. The only other motors I've had experience with was a RB C4 and a Hyper .21 8 port, both in ofna buggies, and this engine is the fastest, with most consistent power. Although, its tough to keep it idling in cold weather (when its warmer it will idle forever).

Did anyone have trouble fitting the Proline Crowdpleazer body to their x5? Mine reguired heavy trimming after I cut the original lines, and the engine head hole seemed to be in the complete wrong spot. I think I liked the styling of the original body more, so I might get another one (my stock bodies nosed snapped off on the first lawndart).

Ryan
Old 02-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the only thing that bothered me about your post is you are running an 063 with that engine and that it idles forever.. you do not want your engine to idle forever.. that is not good.. tune it to idle 5 seconds with good power on take off... no more than 20 seconds.. ever... the 086 pipes make the OS respond soooo much better
Old 02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

ovalevader i think your buggy may be launching itself into the boards because of a bad reaction to all the parts from other cars

you must really be pushing that thing to the limits to have broken so many parts

please dont be offended im just playin
Old 02-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Ryan, change the front caster so the top front arms are pushed all the way forward with all of the spacers behind them, and add a degree of toe out. The sweepers at Delta aren't exactly 1/8 friendly (hell, the whole track is pretty small for 1/8's...), but you can mess with some stuff to get it to handle how you want it to. You did go back into your diffs and take the small S3 o-rings out with that oil setup, right? Also, though playing with setups and stuff is always good, and learning about how to set a car up is definitely a good idea, you really need to work on calming down on the stand (driving-wise), keeping your throttle finger under control, and just turning smooth laps with as few errors as you can. Clearing every jump and going as fast as the space provided allows will not make your lap times come down. Watch Mark G and Philip in truck sometime...they don't look like they're going fast (hell, I dunno about Philip, but Mark usually rolls the double coming into the infield), but their lap times are insanely low, and CONSISTENT. Remember, slow consistent laps will almost always be faster than a few fast laps and then one or two crashes.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

I am looking for a used X5 roller....any takers?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Initiate

I came back to buggy racing after 6 years laying off. My last car was a MP-5 and thats ancient. Initially with the MBX-5 I was struglling to drive the car. It was mostly setup problems and hand glitching problems, and didn't know hoe to jump properly. All that was 5 month ago. Our home track have lots of big air jumps, one triple and 2 doubles, 3 singles. We all had problems with the original ackerman bar, front shock tower. changed both of that, lower arm hinge pin collars and shock ends, fixed all that.
Except for my few races, my car never failed to qualify outside top 5 positions. A guy in our group has 3 straight TQ with his MBX5 and the last 4 races has been won by a MBX-5. In our group 2 guys are using OS VZB with OS 2050 pipe, one using Nova P5 with Nova 9886, Ws7 with 9886 and myself Nova P5 with Picco EFRA 081. Most of the time we run with Medial Pro Woops. 3 of us went to attend a race at the Futaba track in Chiba, Japan in December last year. We ran in the PRO class and off course we got our ass kicked nice and properly but that was to be expected, we all went there to learn and watch Kenji Osaka drive. Man! that guy is insane. He is the only that drives the buggy like an electric on road car, very consistent and ultra smooth, its definetely an eye opener. I had a good chat with Chris Moore about car setups. The three of us came back as better drivers.
Kenji is very helpful but communication with him is a problem as we require a translater. Some of you guys should make trips to Japan for races. Think of the experience and the cool things to bring back. Its worth it.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

i like how you said kenji drives his 1/8 like an onroad car

thats kinda how i drive

of course i probably do it alot slower than him
Old 02-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Just got my MBX5 but have not run it yet. Have noticed though that no one here uses the stock diff oil set-up. Most everyone seem to be running their own combination of 3-5-1; 7-10-2 and some more.

Most are also running like 40/35 for front and rear shock oils, so I'm assuming now that this combination is better suited for the car's weight. i guess by going for the thicker shock oil, people want more responsiveness from the car compared with the stock shock oil set-up.

can anyone explain what the thicker oils in the diff will do in comparison to the stock set-up of 3-3-1?

since most of your x5's are hibernating, might as well help a fellow racer understand the intricacies of off-road set-ups. am totally new to the world of 1/8 buggies.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

i never tried the stock diff oil set-up because it didnt make sense never have i heard anyone say they ran the same oil front and center it didnt sound right so i went right to what i used on my mbx4xr 3k 5k 1k

my friend however thought he'd try it and told me he noticed immediately the car was very tough to drive i think he said it was out of control and wandered on the straight

i think it would be best to start with either 5k 7k 2k which seems to be a very common set-up or maybe try like mine with the 3k 5k 1k (i did install the o-rings according to instructions)

i think i may try the 5k 7k 2k though just to experiment i was happy with the current set-up but its time for a rebuild anyway so im going to give it a shot

i am using a 40wt/30wt set-up because i was told heavier front oil would help keep the nose up while jumping (but i didnt feel a big change but left it alone anyway)

warpig and kingzj and tambokgt know more about this stuff than i do though so if they disagree listen to them i know i do im not new to it anymore but really havent experienced with alot of setup stuff yet

i like to build it once and drive it as long as possible 1 of the reasons i like offroad is i can just figure out the car and drive and then i can spend my time between races BSing and having fun instead of wrenching

this season im going to limit myself to 1 class per race and spend a little more time experimenting (but just a little)
Old 02-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

thanks ptp for the heads up. i think you should give yourself more credit than you do otherwise you wouldn't be running so well in your races.

but that's exactly what i wanted to hear that the 3-3-1 wouldn't be that easy to control. am trying your reco of 3-5-1 and see how it goes before i do the 5-7-2 (mainly because i don't have the 7k and the 2K ) what i do have is 10k, 50k and 100k... i wonder what those will do...hhhhmmm.

will also try the heavier weight shock oil up front as it does make sense to have the front a little stiffer than the rear. have experienced this phenomenon in MT racing as well.

appreciate any more info/suggestions/comments.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

the stock setup on an X5 is more like a euro setup.. or indoor... try the 7-10-2 setup.. mix 60% of 3000 and 40% 1000 to get 2000 or just order kyosho diff 2000...

if that guys car is wondering.. his car is not setup properly.. there must be something he did wrong to it... mine... and everone elses never has been twitchy or wonder..
Old 02-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Tech Elite

I got my setup from Chad Bradley. He has a setup for my hometrack Sun Valley Speedway(KZ).

Scroll down and you'll find it...the buggy is almost effortless to drive.

2k is really 3K and 1K combined....as per suggestion by Chad.
Although Kyosho has a real 2K.

...going to heavier diff oil will make the car more sensitive and aggressive.....it won't be easy to drive..

...good for ultra smooth and fast tracks ...like some of the european tracks.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

well, post it..

I can go get his newest if need be.. my setup will not work for most.. and my car is modified... so, it responds different

and I believe the stock setup is more euro style.. definately

with the thicker oil and changed roll centers.. you will be able to drive more aggresive with more options while driving.. my goal is to make my car on the edge of out of control... but, that can be taken many ways... I guess what I mean is to not have too much grip around corners.. to work the corner better and get around it .. early apex
Old 02-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

one thing a lot of people like.. me included.. is the smaller sway bars... from the X4 kit...
Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

believe me i give myslef plenty of credit im just fast enough to make our local A mains usually i place around 5th or 6th by the end of the race by consistent driving

at the beginning of last season i expected B main to be my norm and surprised my self with a A main finish at every race at my local track so maybe i will surprise myself again but dont really care for me if im in the A and i finish im a happy guy i love those 45 minute mains

im not really a set-up guy i just throw it down and go and last year i was running 2 classes all the time

this year its 1 class per race and im going to play with set-up a little hopefully that will keep me moving up

consistency is my best quality and so far its gotten me quite far the way i see it consistency first now its time to get faster

and for my friend whos car wondered he told me after changing the center diff he was back to normal and hes been racing 1/8 buggies along time more than me so i assume he knows what hes talking about

the weather here is improving and its getting tougher to control my nitro itch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.