Wiki Posts
Search

LiPO question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silence360
Where do you find the cells for 8.00 a piece. Aren't you talking about the A123 2s2p, that pack is 140.00 bucks on A123 website.
LOL!!! ROFL-MAYO
Old 10-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

You can find dewalt battery packs that are built out of the cells and the price per cell in these packs is typicaly about 8-10 when you find them online. You can find diagrams on how to build the packs online too. If you would read up on the cells you would learn about the cells venting when they are under too much pressure, you do know how to do a little research on the topic before you bash it don't you? The cells will last just like any other lipo if you take care of them and when you abuse them you will notice a drop in performance. The cells actualy fit very well into 3cell battery slots. They are about the length of 3 subcs side by side and 2 cells will be a little wider then a sub-c is long. So basicly turn them sideways and they are a perfect fit in a saddle pack config. When i drop them into a 2wd buggy I just run them longwise instead of parralel like people typicaly do, I do have to nock down one wall like I said earlier though, but w/ the right chasis everything works out fine. Just make sure that if the chasis is flexxing it won't add any extra stress on the cells from areas like that overhang that is on a xxx battery slot.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:00 AM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Knowall blip

Sorry for my Aussie counterparts out bursts and linguel attacks

D4 racer when you personelly insult someone, putting a lol at the end dosnt excuse it.
Lower High school electrionics & blobing batts together with solder, doesnt make you good at soldering, try 3-6years+ of building PCB's for a job may make you good at it.
Telling someone there ali job has weak spots when thay have been using it is insulting, as your own job has a simmular down fall, When u have cut a sharp 90deg for your mounting tags this creats a week spot to tear 1mm ali, in a gforce crash,try a rounded corrner wont tear as easy and bends create strenght 101 engerneering, lets prove your own prototype first a.
An ammo box is design to absorb a blast without holes, ITS A AMMO BOX.do you think it was just made to carry the stuff.
Your trying to tell people how to use a lipo when some here have been using them before you grew out of single digits.without a google sch tell me the IR of your lipo you dont yet own or have fitted to your prototype holder.
I dont like to shoot you down like this, just pointing out the obious.
Take a chillpill, and a breath.lol

Wazzent this LIPO QUESTION thread

Last edited by ROV; 10-18-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: cause i can
Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

If you don't think the cells have a lower ir then simply explain why every aplication I have put them in has much more punch and the cells stay much cooler.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

What is in the below photo only happens to retards; lipo's don't blow up like that unless you charge them wrong or maybe if you stabbed them through more than 1 cell. PS there are video's of nimh packs doing the same thing except w/ a nimh pack the shell acts like shrapnel and can put some wicked hurting on anyone nearby. You can poof packs and take packs too low and make them junk, but you have to try to make things like that happen. I hit 20' jumps drive 70+ mph and go into full cartwheels and never had any issues, of course I secure and protect my cells. As far as a123 cells go a 2cell pack is pretty worthless imo, the 3s and 4s are nice but run through soo quick. I bought a dewalt pack and made a 3s and a 3s2p pack and the 3s2p is a pretty respectable pack the 9.9v and some pretty fair run times to boot. The only problem is it's not even close to comparable to my 11.1v (3s) maxamps 8000mah lipo. The lipo is a ton faster at 11.1v, at the same speeds last more than 2x the 3s2p a123 pack, and even at pretty much full out lasts 2x as long. The real kicker is the maxamps 3s2p 8000mah pack is SMALLER than the 3s2p a123pack. Gotta love how dense lipo's are

Originally Posted by re270
Lipos...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

What do you expect in terms of run time between an 8k mah pack and a 2300 mah pack? In off road there is no need to go 70 m.p.h. 6.6 volts w/ 4600 mah will get you 12-35 minutes depending on what your running in your car and since regular electronics start to glitch when they go under 5 volts you don't have a need for a lvc since the cells can discharge to 4 volts. The cells are rated at 2300 mah w/ a max voltage of 3.6 volts and an average voltage of 3.3 so you are looking at plenty of power before the pack rapidly drops. Not to mention if you plan on traveling then I have a fealing that airlines would feal much safer about you traveling w/ a123s then your lipos which may get crushed by a mound of luggage. It's not about how you would treat your cells, its about how "that guy would treat the cells". Would you want to pit next to "that guy" knowing that his lipo may go up in a heap any time now? Next time you bash try using equal products. Please run a 3s2300 mah lipo in your car and tell me how it worked out. After you pull the melted car off the street you can take pictures of it too. I ran 1/10th off road for 2 years, spent 2/3rds a year w/ a well tuned o.s. tz and my car w/ 6900 mah 6.6volts is faster then the nitro 20 minutes into a race. I run a mamba 7700. Think about a motor that revs up to 50k rpm and has loads of torque.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by party_wagon
What do you expect in terms of run time between an 8k mah pack and a 2300 mah pack? In off road there is no need to go 70 m.p.h. 6.6 volts w/ 4600 mah will get you 12-35 minutes depending on what your running in your car and since regular electronics start to glitch when they go under 5 volts you don't have a need for a lvc since the cells can discharge to 4 volts. The cells are rated at 2300 mah w/ a max voltage of 3.6 volts and an average voltage of 3.3 so you are looking at plenty of power before the pack rapidly drops. Not to mention if you plan on traveling then I have a fealing that airlines would feal much safer about you traveling w/ a123s then your lipos which may get crushed by a mound of luggage. It's not about how you would treat your cells, its about how "that guy would treat the cells". Would you want to pit next to "that guy" knowing that his lipo may go up in a heap any time now? Next time you bash try using equal products. Please run a 3s2300 mah lipo in your car and tell me how it worked out. After you pull the melted car off the street you can take pictures of it too. I ran 1/10th off road for 2 years, spent 2/3rds a year w/ a well tuned o.s. tz and my car w/ 6900 mah 6.6volts is faster then the nitro 20 minutes into a race. I run a mamba 7700. Think about a motor that revs up to 50k rpm and has loads of torque.

Hmm you have flawed view on things.. because a123's technology is currently limited to 2300mah, you force compare vs other technology? Even so that is flawed, if you got a 20c-25c 100amp+ rated 3s 2300mah lipo it would still be better than the a123 (ignorance if you think not) but your typical 2300mah lipo pack is more like a 10-15c with 40amps so of course you would kill it (poof). People who have problems buy those crappy little lipo's that can't give 20c 100amp continuous power, period.

Next up if you have any throttle control at all (or the neat % controls many now have like the spectrum) you don't have to drive your 3s2p 8000mah pack at full speed 70MPH and it will last you near 2 hours running the speed you get on a 6.6v a123 pack, and those 2s 2300a123 packs get you about 15min max. umm what is not to like? If you happen to be running a velineon you can just stick the 3s2p 8000 in 50% mode and run for 2x as you would get at full speed and still faster than the 6.6v a123 and enjoying all the run time and no swapping and charging.

Here is a bit of math for you grasp things a bit better.... and I'm being generous as the a123's are not rated to 80amps continuous (burst is 138amps, burst on the 3s lipo is 400amps)

a123's 2s 2300
6.4v (under load) x 80amps cont = 512 watt hours
maxamps 3s2p 8000mah
10.5v x 160 = 1680 watt hours

Your arguments are just not compelling, sorry.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Here, i'll make my argument simple since it doesn't seem you can read or research very well.

you can wire the packs in parallel to achieve greater capacity, thats how most lipos are built any ways.

A 2s3p pack weights about the same as a 6cell stick does currently.

The pack is rated to deliver over 1.3kw of power at a constant rate(about
1.85hp w/ more bottom end then any nitro engine has, an o.s. v-spec delivers 1.5hp when properly dynoed).

I said I ran 2wd nitro for 2years, that is the most throtle control demanding class in all of r/c and there is no way any 1/10th scale can handle 1.3kw in off road.

Odds are you are only getting around 1kw max out of your current setup, perhaps there is a reason there aren't more powerful motors available, maybe people just don't have a use for them.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 AM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

OUCH, that poor MF2
I just bought one 2hand hope mine dont end up like that.
I will be useing an old kokom 3200pack that was 3s but one cell puffed. So now its a 2s and still pluggin away.

So dont blow it up acko
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

roger... ask G lipos are illegal an our meetings
Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ROV
Sorry for my Aussie counterparts out bursts and linguel attacks

D4 racer when you personelly insult someone, putting a lol at the end dosnt excuse it.
Lower High school electrionics & blobing batts together with solder, doesnt make you good at soldering, try 3-6years+ of building PCB's for a job may make you good at it.
Telling someone there ali job has weak spots when thay have been using it is insulting, as your own job has a simmular down fall, When u have cut a sharp 90deg for your mounting tags this creats a week spot to tear 1mm ali, in a gforce crash,try a rounded corrner wont tear as easy and bends create strenght 101 engerneering, lets prove your own prototype first a.
An ammo box is design to absorb a blast without holes, ITS A AMMO BOX.do you think it was just made to carry the stuff.
Your trying to tell people how to use a lipo when some here have been using them before you grew out of single digits.without a google sch tell me the IR of your lipo you dont yet own or have fitted to your prototype holder.
I dont like to shoot you down like this, just pointing out the obious.
Take a chillpill, and a breath.lol

Wazzent this LIPO QUESTION thread
AHEM! firstly i did not insult the guy with his custom holder. i said it had a weak spot and the owner of the holders ADMITTED it had weak spots where it snapped which is why he had to EPOXY it!!!!

Quote Lplate: Problem is, the bent part that goes into the battery posts is kinda weak and is breaking. Have to epoxy the damn thing.

and by the way, i dont do crappy school electronics pcb crap, i do my own. I have been making PCB projects for just around 1 year, 6 months now and have even had a go at making a PCB board. my soldering always is a proper joint, and never a cold joint. its always smooth and shiny.

i use an ammo box instead of a lipo sack. an ammo box is reusable while a lipo sack is recommended by the manufactuer to replace after every explosion that occurs in it. also there are battery bunkers, but they dont cut it for me.

also i reckon a lipo explosion would be way more powerful than a bullet going off. also you NEED to put a hole in it, how else you gonna get wires in? and if you say put the wires on the edge of the opening and close the lid on it your ASKING for a shorting out as you would damage the wires and prolly lead to a short on the metal case. also a exploding lipo pack will have a whole ton of gases and fumes and smoke being released when it explodes, while a bullet has a puff of air from the gun powder.

so what if people have been using lipo in their cars for years and havent had a problem, i'm NOT complaining about them or telling them what to do. i'm saying what you SHOULD do as a safety precaution and that is also what is written on most lipo warnings/care guides.

now i will get back to my 2nd prototype lipo holder which is stronger, and better designed, just needs to be cut out.

oh yes, i have all the dimensions of the lipo, height, width, length, all off maxamps website so thats where i have all my measurements from so i know its correct.

so rov, please dont 'give me the facts' when i have them theres alot you dont know about me so you cant say that i havent done this or i havent done that. and i am not doubting your skills and i believe and know that you are good and have better soldering skills than me, well maybe with finer things such as PCB, but maybe your also just as good with big soldering jobs.

anyway, back to lipo and stop posting posts regarding me and me always being wrong or something, i dont do it to you...........i dont say all the time you cant do this or you cant do that or thats stupid and you'll be banned, etc. enough, please.

Last edited by d4_racer; 10-19-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by acko
roger... ask G lipos are illegal an our meetings
yeah, but i may do some talking and arrange sum stuff. i just needa talk the talk and i usually get what i want

also rov, you say bends create strength, isnt that joins create strength? eg. i put a bend on a piece of metal pipe, now its easier to bend. eg. i have a long piece of thin wood and it sags in the middle. if a make a join every 10cm or so it wont sag in the middle anymore.

isnt that right? if not then link me to a source saying it all please

oh yes and panty_wagon, those cells you keep talking about arent even race legal so yeah..........and i know lipo is not race legal here, yet, but its lighter, lasts longer and is overall better for bashing really so no need to go to such effort for a non-race pack, for me that is and aus racers

Last edited by d4_racer; 10-19-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

I thought youd say that.
Ya knowall Blip
Theres one thing worse than a 15yr knowall, one that is.
prove me wrong

Last edited by ROV; 10-19-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

i'm an opinionated near 16 yr old and stand up and stick by whateva i say

and whats wrong with being a person who knows alot? nothing.........

a lesson time will teach you? hmm, being smart gets you into uni, work, etc. being a smart 'arse' gets you know where and i'm not being that

BAK 2 LiPO chat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.