Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year? >

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LI-PO going to be ROAR Legal this year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If they go with 6 volts A123 will be happy. why has li ion not entered this discussion?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+6 for BL and Li-po.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

the real way to save 1\10 is to allow lipo but do not drop the minimum weight this would allow manufactures to beef up the cars considerably mabey even get them to 1\8 durability standards. can you imagin running a 1\10 4wd that was as tough as a 1\8 scale buggy
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I persoanlly don't care, I just want to race. I buy what is legal. I know locally at the club level several already have lipo batteries and like it
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

The question everyone should be asking theirself is.. Who has come out with a non-bl compatible speed control in the last year that doesn't already have a bl compatible one?

guys behind the 5c theory need to wake up.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndyH5212
I have heard conflicting stories about whether or not ROAR is going to approve LI-PO batteries this year. Does anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.
I don't know what the deal is, but I'll take a guess:

ROAR did a lipo truck exhibition class this year at the nats, IMO, to get all the lipo lovers off ROAR's back and make them put up or shut up. IMO, the main was as boring as a 20 - 45 minute gas main, but at least lipo got some exposure and some of the best drivers in the world participated in the class. This class will probably become an official class next year, but lipos won't be allowed in stock, 19T, or mod in 2008 or 2009. Lipos will remain segregated from the real classes for as long as possible so that the NIMH distributors, battery matchers, and motor tuners (19T & Stock) can keep making money off racing until 1/10 electric ROAR races are no longer relevant. At that point, ROAR will either finally change its ways or a new sanctioning body will step in to save electric from all the special interests and do a better job of holding regional and national races that actually reflect what's going on at the club level.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by badassrevo
If they go with 6 volts A123 will be happy. why has li ion not entered this discussion?

li-ion is more finicky. sony was using it in many of their electronics 5 years ago.. but I haven't seen it in awhile.. maybe they are still using it - that i do not know.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not sure I understand the need for 6v in off-road. What would be the benefits? For most drivers, the track dictates how much power you can use. I'm sure in on-road the tire wear issue is valid, but I don't see it in off-road.

If the reason is to help beginners, then wouldn't motor rules in stock class be a better place to look? Why blame the battery technology?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

ROAR is at very important crossroad in it's history where it can choose to shut out the new technology that is really not that new anymore and continue with the old school out of date technology.

The path it takes will determine weather electric off road racing continues to die a slow death with old school nickel battery technology and brushed motors or it can take the path of a total renovating the electric racing with li-pos and brushless that seems to be the way alot of club racing is going and grasp this technology firmly reviving electric off-road racing to a new level with longer qualifiers and longer mains that will appeal to the masses. Sort of like what the world went through replacing the horse and buggy with the automobile.

It will be very hard for the old school racer that has had nothing but nickel batteries and brushed motors to convert to li-po/brushless, but those numbers are shrinking very rapidly anyway. Just look at the low turn out at this years combined Electric Off-Road Nats. Also ROAR added the exhibition class with li-pos and brushless with a 20 minute main with less than a months notice that should be considered a huge success with that class and a real sign of the direction the future of electric racing should be taking!

Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings with this post, but the days of nickel batteries and brushed motors are numbered.

I just hope ROAR decides to become visionaries and adds li-pos and brushless in a big way to save Electric Off-Road Racing.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craps
ROAR is at very important crossroad in it's history where it can choose to shut out the new technology that is really not that new anymore and continue with the old school out of date technology.

The path it takes will determine weather electric off road racing continues to die a slow death with old school nickel battery technology and brushed motors or it can take the path of a total renovating the electric racing with li-pos and brushless that seems to be the way alot of club racing is going and grasp this technology firmly reviving electric off-road racing to a new level with longer qualifiers and longer mains that will appeal to the masses. Sort of like what the world went through replacing the horse and buggy with the automobile.

It will be very hard for the old school racer that has had nothing but nickel batteries and brushed motors to convert to li-po/brushless, but those numbers are shrinking very rapidly anyway. Just look at the low turn out at this years combined Electric Off-Road Nats. Also ROAR added the exhibition class with li-pos and brushless with a 20 minute main with less than a months notice that should be considered a huge success with that class and a real sign of the direction the future of electric racing should be taking!

Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings with this post, but the days of nickel batteries and brushed motors are numbered.

I just hope ROAR decides to become visionaries and adds li-pos and brushless in a big way to save Electric Off-Road Racing.
preach on brotha!
Old 08-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Craps

I will not rejoin Roar until all class`s at Roar events allow Li-Po .....

Too bad for Roar....

Looking like I will not be sending in my membership for next year as well ....
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

posted in wrong place...

Lipo!!!!!

No more Nimh for me, working on the local guys on the carpet to allow lipo for TC and 12th scale.

Last edited by cfwdude; 08-07-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: ima dumbass
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am doing the brushless thing now, and hope to do lipo next year (would do it this year, but need more info on how to store them in a place where we can get weather down in the -40's and I want it to be safe too).

I want to see roar approve the stuff for mod first, see how it goes, and then work it into the other brushed classes BUT allow the brushed motors the same advances in technology that a brushless unit can have.

The Late Big Jim had told me that with removing these limitations, he could significantly improve the longevity and performance of brushed motors.

Not exact on what all he would have done, but, at a minimum, don't limit one more than the other technology wise if you are going to run them together.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rfury
I still see no point in reducing the voltage. Going to 6V seems to be a way to keep LiPo out for a couple more years till they can bring the voltages down.

If a rule like this came down and was enforced on the club level I would leave RC again. It just makes no sense to me.
Amen, going to 6 volts will only sidestep the problem at hand and only allow the Nimh battery matchers and manufacturers to futher drag electric into the ground with the battery wars. Also, in mod you can go to a hotter motor to make up the difference but in classes like stock and 19T 6 volts will drastically slow them down. Stick with 7.4 volts and allow lipo/brushless is the way to go for the sport!!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kinson
Most motor sports increase speeds over time/tech not decrease. Look at NASCAR and NHRA.
Not true.

NASCAR: Restrictor plates
NHRA Top Fuel: Aero changes to reduce trap speeds
Formula 1: 2.4L V8s down from 3.0L V10s, grooved spec tires, reduction in aero downforce
MotoGP: 800cc engine displacement limit down from 990cc

Limiting technology has become commonplace in full size motorsports. It's still racing, but can be done at slightly lower speeds. I agree with the idea. If you hand a newbie an electric car that either pulls wheelies at the slightest touch of the throttle or is so fast that their reaction time can't keep up with it, you're going to find VERY FEW people that will accept the challenge to learn to run the car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.