Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Racing 4x4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Racing 4x4s

I wanted to start racing the 4wd class but im not too sure what stuff is legal, good electronics ect. I was thinking about getting either the xxx-4 or the bj4 but i dont know about any of the other stuff, so it would be great if someone could just tell me what kind of electronics they would get(servo motor/esc, receiver/controller) money isnt too big of problem beacause i want this car to last me for a while.

Last edited by Motoxpro; 06-18-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have owned a XXX-4, XXX-4 G+ and currently own a BJ4 and love the BJ4 over the XXX-4.
For ESC I would look at Mamba - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNKT9&P=ML Can be tuned on computer.
You have a servo, but what about receiver?
Do you know what turn motor you are going to use?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRBE5&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXMVY5&P=
Old 06-18-2007, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

He wants something legal to race with, and the Mamba definitely is not legal. Not only that, but the Mamba isn't smooth enough for racing either. I have owned two Mamba systems in the past and glad I got rid of them.

I have also owned both the XXX4G+ and a BJ4WE and the BJ4 is quite a bit easier to drive. It is also built tougher and easier to work on.

I suggest to start off with a spektrum radio system. This is so you can avoid the hassles of changing crystals and avoid interference. Get a spektrum pro system. Then get yourself a spread spectrum Novak GTB speed controller. It runs more efficient when used with the Spektrum or other 2.4GHz radio systems. A 5.5r Novak motor would be ideal in a 4WD buggy. I use the Hitec 5945mg servo that is very powerful and turns the buggy tires easily.

Get yourself a pack of loose matched 4200mah cells and you are in business.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The BJ4 is easier to work on then a XXX-4?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yes it is. And not only that, a BJ4 arm works on either side, not so with the XXX4G+. You have to buy a whole new set for each time you break. The front a-arm brace always breaks too. The BJ4 comes with an aluminum brace so no worries there. The XXX4G+ spindles break often too, the BJ4 comes with aluminum spindles. And each time you break a spindle, you have to buy a new pack. If you hit hard enough with the XXX4G+ shock tower, you can strip out or break where it attaches to the chassis.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

There is a very good variety of 4wd buggies out there now, and if they have a class you can race at your track, see if you can wheel a few of the vehicles to see what you like.

I used to have an Academy SB V2 Pro and it was a very good vehicle for the money. Just make sure you start with the factory team setup, or, you can use B4 or Losi shocks on it if you want if you are used to them. Very durable, fast, and easy to wheel.

As for electronics, I liked my mamba max unit once I tuned it the way I wanted, but regardless of what setup you choose, I would go brushless at a minimum since most 4wd is mod.

As for servo, I like the 925MG (digital or analog) as it is super fast and has great torque as well.

For radio / receiver combos, I like anything similar to a spektrum in technology. Not messing around with crystals is the way to go.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Im fairly sure that the front a-arms on a xxx-4 are interchangeable. I cant see why they wouldn't be. Plus I've never broke one after the update! There are aluminum front supports and spindles available also. This vehicle can be made to go very fast and Yes it can even handle good with a proper set-up. Very easy to work on, takes less then five minutes to remove just about anything.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies, Im a little confused about the motor situation though. Is anything brushless considered mod and brushed stock? Keep the suggestions coming i want to get as many opinions as i can.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

I would look @ a mamba max system, or the new Tekin R1 if they are ever released!. I have a novak and have problems I do like my novak motor though. I'm not sure about the mod question, I always thought that a mod was a motor that the timing could be adjusted.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mattnin
Yes it is. And not only that, a BJ4 arm works on either side, not so with the XXX4G+. You have to buy a whole new set for each time you break. The front a-arm brace always breaks too. The BJ4 comes with an aluminum brace so no worries there. The XXX4G+ spindles break often too, the BJ4 comes with aluminum spindles. And each time you break a spindle, you have to buy a new pack. If you hit hard enough with the XXX4G+ shock tower, you can strip out or break where it attaches to the chassis.
You obiviously have not owned the XXX-4 G+. The x brace front arms are almost indestructable and they are interchangable too. The stock front pivot brace can be fragile but there is an optional aluminum brace available from losi that solves this. The G+ shock tower are very durable and not a problem and can be doubled up on if needed. It is possible to break the spindles and carriers but it is not what I would call a fragile part. There are aluminum aftermarket parts available here too. The XXX-4 is one of the easiest to work on buggies available from what I have seen. I doubt the BJ4 is easier.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if you go losi the xx we is the better buggy. locally they handle the rough better and dont break as often. kyosho and the bj4 are good too. later on this month we are getting guys that will have the new yokomo and tamiya buggies as well..for me though i can see spending 450+ on an electric kit.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by sport10
You obiviously have not owned the XXX-4 G+. The x brace front arms are almost indestructable and they are interchangable too. The stock front pivot brace can be fragile but there is an optional aluminum brace available from losi that solves this. The G+ shock tower are very durable and not a problem and can be doubled up on if needed. It is possible to break the spindles and carriers but it is not what I would call a fragile part. There are aluminum aftermarket parts available here too. The XXX-4 is one of the easiest to work on buggies available from what I have seen. I doubt the BJ4 is easier.
Yes I have. I meant the rear arms can't be swapped. The arms are definitely not indestructible! Maybe after the new update? If there was an update to the arms, I never got them. Yes, I know the front brace can be bought in aluminum. I didn't say the front shock tower was weak either, but where it connects to the graphite chassis is weak, I stripped it out once in a wreck. It was a pain to fix. I just found the XXX4G+ to be very fragile.

In my opinion, the BJ4 in many aspects is easier to fix than the XXX4g+, but getting to the diffs is way easier in the Losi. I think the losi shocks are easier to work on too.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattnin
Yes I have. I meant the rear arms can't be swapped. The arms are definitely not indestructible! Maybe after the new update? If there was an update to the arms, I never got them. Yes, I know the front brace can be bought in aluminum. I didn't say the front shock tower was weak either, but where it connects to the graphite chassis is weak, I stripped it out once in a wreck. It was a pain to fix. I just found the XXX4G+ to be very fragile.

In my opinion, the BJ4 in many aspects is easier to fix than the XXX4g+, but getting to the diffs is way easier in the Losi. I think the losi shocks are easier to work on too.
I dont have a graphite car on purpose. Graphite is lighter but a little brittle compared to the composite plastics. I would have to agree with them being a little more on the fragile side.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Tech Regular

I don't believe the rear arms on a BJ4 can be swapped out either, and you still have to buy a set!!! Who sells one a-arm? I doubt JConcepts does.
I've never had any issues with my front, or rear A-arms.

In my opinion the xxx-4 is a fine built car. Sure there have been times that I probably have gotten frustrated and said that "this car breaks easy!" The truth is, is that I just wasn't driving the car properly. And I'll tell ya what, driving a car that people thinks is "Fragile" has @ least done one good thing,
made me one hell of a driver . And I think that the people that say its a fragile car just need to spend alittle more time behind a radio!