Community
Wiki Posts
Search

change from nicd to nimh.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default change from nicd to nimh.

hey guys im making the change from 1800mah nicds to 2400mah nimh and im wondering can i charge the nimh batterys with my nicd charger?
cheers
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well that really depends on what charger you have. Maybe you could give us an idea and we could advise from there.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Tech Initiate

ok um its this old 1 its like a lil black box that hooks upto a 12 volt batery charger and it has trickle or quick charge setting.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Tech Initiate

nope. don't use it. You need a delta peak detection charger for nimh batteries, and DON'T discharge NiMH batteries. They don't have a "memory" like NiCD batteries and don't require discharging. You can find a good charger at your local shop or at any of the online stores. I had a super brain 959, but the buttons went all funky and was a pain to use so I got a new one. It's a Pirahna Digital Peak Charger and works well. It charges NiMH and NiCD, and is programmable. It doesn't have a discharge cycle tho so if you still wanna use the NiCD as backups you have to discharge them seperately.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Nimh's require a good charger and an equalizer tray.

Starting out, I would look at the new MRC 960 charger and find a integy Octane 2 cheap used. You can also find the Reedy Quasar Pro charger for around 60 bucks used, its one heck of a charger.

Just remember, you must equalize your packs prior to charging Nimhs or they will not charge up to there full potential.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Cain- he isn't racing with high dollar matched packs. All he needs to do is run and charge.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

bluebird- You should always use proper battery maintenance regardless of the pack type. Why not take care of your Nimhs? I would rather have them last and perform the best that they can for as long as they can than do things that shorten there life that i could have avoided.

Trust me, I don't run the top of the line new packs, I buy my stuff second and third hand for batteries, and just maintain what I get in, and most of the time they work great.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you charge with the wrong charger you chance popping the batteries. I've seen em just go puff, and I've seen em go off like a shotgun blast too. You shouldn't mess with battery charging no matter what kind they are. Use the correct tool for the job is the only way to be safe for you and your batteries.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow, most people are making the change from NiMh to LiPo at this point

Anyway, just messin' with ya. These guys are right, ALWAYS make sure you have the right kind of charger for the pack. I've yet to see a LiPo blow, but I've seen heard a few booms and seen big black marks left by NiMH packs charged improperly.