Search

1/8 scale offroad pipes, a discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale offroad pipes, a discussion

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to understand 1/8 scale offroad pipes and how they affect different types of engines, in particular the 086 and 053 flavors of pipes. I have an 086 sitting here that I am thinking using on my Sportwerks V1 .21 Pro engine, but I am open to trying out a JP-1 or JP-3 if performance would be better.

So, anyone with experience or tips when selecting a pipe, feel free to post.

FYI - the V1 .21 Pro usually comes with the 053 style pipe.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK the pipes are "tuned" for different settings. they will be a little different on every motor, but this is a rule of thumb, and how they are made.

The 053 is a all around pipe.Good mileage, tuned for mid-range punch. Not too soft on the bottom, and not a screamer on the top end.

The 086 is a top end pipe, a little soft on the bottom, but picks up steam on the mid range and is a screamer on top end.

The JP-1 is a bottom end pipe. It is a "stump puller", great bottom, decent mid, but weak-ish top end.

I have tried the 053(hong nor) and a Ofna 086 on my Collari B3( a bottom end motor). The 053 was OK, but the 086 REALLY woke the mill up! The fact that it was a bottom end mill may have something to do with it. Bottom end was good, mid was very good, top end was great.

I had a JP-1 on a Force .26 and it was GREAT. I remember racing and a kid asking what the heck I had in my truggy. When I told him, he could not believe it. It was perfect for our small track. Top end was OK, but we did not need it. The JP-1 seemed to drink fuel though. I could get 5-1/2 mins per tank on race tune.

Never used a JP-3, so I cant comment on it.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info!

Anyone have experience with the Sportwerks V1 pro engine and a pipe other than the 053? Is this engine more of a top end one or bottom end?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

053 is a low end/torque pipe, the 069, which I haven't seen in the last 3 years, is an all around pipe similar to the jp-3.

one thing you have to understand about these pipes, one doesn't create more torque than another or more horsepower. Each pipe just shifts the powerband to a different rpm range. Xtreme did a dyno run of the nova p5 last year with the most popular pipes on the market, and the motor made just as much power with each one, just in different rpm ranges.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

One thing to bear in mind is that while the pipes are all designed and marketed to perform a certain way it must all be taken with a grain of salt. While these guidlines can be fairly reliable, sometimes an engine and pipe just "like" each other meaning, a low end pipe can sometimes make for a screaming top end on some engines (JP1 on RB or OS 2050 on OS V-spec are classics).

It is a good idea to ask around about your engine before buying a pipe with the expectation that it will provide a certain type of performance because sometimes a pipe isn't a good match for a given engine. On a site like this you will quickly find out what the best choices are for any well known engine.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Davidka
On a site like this you will quickly find out what the best choices are for any well known engine.

ok......

os .21 vg in a buggy........the jp1, jp2 or the jp3......or the os 2050?

os .21 vg in a truggy........the jp1, jp2 or the jp3.....or the os 2050?

and please elaborate as to why you'd pick which pipe over any of the others and which to use on a short track or long track please.

....and thanks for the info.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by o.s. power
053 is a low end/torque pipe, the 069, which I haven't seen in the last 3 years, is an all around pipe similar to the jp-3.

one thing you have to understand about these pipes, one doesn't create more torque than another or more horsepower. Each pipe just shifts the powerband to a different rpm range. Xtreme did a dyno run of the nova p5 last year with the most popular pipes on the market, and the motor made just as much power with each one, just in different rpm ranges.
About the Xtreme RC Xdyno test, that is true except that the Jammin pipes were down on HP by at least 0.2hp from all the other pipes. Between the other pipes there was a spread, with the Mugen making the most power of them all. Of course even if the Jammin's do make less power they are by the MOST durable pipe avaliable. The hardcoated ones are indestructable. I had a Werks pipe last year that only last about 3 months before it was totally wrecked, my JP2 after 3 months now still looks awsome.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

one thing that I have always said to people when getting a pipe, get one that is made by the manufacturer of your engine. It makes the most sense to get a OS 2050 for the v-spec vs a JP-1. Not saying a JP-1 won't work well, but the 2050 will make that much more since it was designed for that engine.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

or you saying that the 2050 was designed for the vg? i know the 2050/v-spec is a killer combination, but what's everybody's take on what's working best with the vg?
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Personally, I didn't like the 2050 on the RG and I have not heard anything good about it on the VG. A vz-b/V-spec rips with a 2050 but those are very different stroke and timing from an RG and probably the VG too. Funny thing is, the 2050 came out before the vz-b/V-spec. Ya' think they got lucky?

I have read that the JP-2 is a great pipe for the VG on other forums.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Talking

if you have the time and money this is a great combo for just about any 3,4 or5 port engine: RS- 2032 w/ a jammin header or an ofna 086 pipe put in the freezer to expand the primary intake chamber w/ a jammin header , or for a track that requires a little more umph without sacrificing top end scream use the long header that comes with the rs-2032 CRONO pipe i have so many pipes to try as it allows me to tune to a track with a pipe as well as clutch and chassis
i am a fast guy and do alot of condusive testing so i do know what i am talking about
and as far as the new vg engine from O.S. i havent seen anybody run one yet but will give feedback if i do
if you have the offroad sportwerks .21 engine the ofna 086 or 063 pipes with the jammin header will be your best performance
the ofna header sucks with the ofna pipes but work well with an 053 pipe from any manufacturer , and i just dont like the jammin pipes, they make my engines feel like they are weak on power
anyway hope this helps someone , later guys HOUSTON

Last edited by houston; 12-30-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info.

How can I tell if the header is ofna or not? I got my pipe with another purchase and it seemed to worked well with the GS R25MT engine it was mated to.

By the way, what is the best method to clean the pipes up?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by houston
an ofna 086 pipe put in the freezer to expand the primary intake chamber
I would not recomend this. The risk is that the cone inside the pipe can become separated from the inner wall of the pipe (this has happened with the Ofna pipes before). If the cone moves while the engine is running it can go WAY lean and even be ruined. If it works, great. I just don't think it is worth the risk that it puts an engine under.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Talking

the ofna headers are not round they are three straight angles instead of rounded like the jammin and as far as cleaning the pipes that is pretty hard , usually i will just take a piece of 320 grit or so and sand the stuff off . and if you have dents plug 2 holes , fill with water and plug the third hole then stick in freezer to expand back out (might have to do more than once ) good luck and try some of those combos
later HOUSTON
Old 01-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Tech Prophet

Talking

Originally Posted by Davidka
I would not recomend this. The risk is that the cone inside the pipe can become separated from the inner wall of the pipe (this has happened with the Ofna pipes before). If the cone moves while the engine is running it can go WAY lean and even be ruined. If it works, great. I just don't think it is worth the risk that it puts an engine under.
never had it happen before and i've had plenty of experience with the freezer method to tune a pipe if such a thing happens it should be very easy to stop your car before putting your engine into an overlean condition just pay close attention and feel what your car is doing on the track
good luck on the track and have fun
later guys HOUSTON

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.