Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals >

Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:14 PM
TLRacing

Default Manufactures Agree To Limited Selection Of Tires For Electric Offroad Nationals

In 2005, ROAR announced that it would discontinue the spec tire rule for the Electric Offroad Nationals. Like last year, in an effort to control costs and insure a level playing field, Team Associated, Team Losi, X-Factory and Peak/Orion have agreed to compete with a limited selection of tires. This year Planet R/C Raceway will host the ROAR Modified Nationals from August 8-13 in Indianapolis, IN

Last year marked the inaugural agreement among teams to utilize a spec tire system; this year the agreement has been slightly modified to allow for more choices and sponsorship representation.

The driving force behind this decision is the cost associated with attending an event of this magnitude. Now the average racer can show up to the event with only a few types of tires and be assured they will compete against the best without a disadvantage in tire tread or compound.

For 2006 the Manufactures have agreed to offer a choice to the drivers along with not controlling the foam insert. The tire choices are listed below:

2wd
Front: Proline 8175-02 (M3 L.P. Rib) or Losi 7202P (Pink 4-Rib)
Rear: Proline 8202-02 (M3 Inside Jobs) or Losi 7372P (Pink Taper Pins)

4wd
Front: Proline 8203-02 (M3 Inside Jobs) or Losi 7285P (Pink Taper Pins)
Rear: Proline 8202-02 (M3 Inside Jobs) or Losi 7372P (Pink Taper Pins)

Truck
Front: Proline 8095-02 (M3 Edges) or Losi 7505P (Pink Directionals)
Rear: Proline 8192-02 (M3 Holeshots) or Losi 7635P (Pink Taper Pins)

Participating Drivers Include
Adam Drake – Losi/Trinity
Allen Horne – Losi/Fantom
Billy Fischer – Losi/Truespeed
Brent Thielke – Associated/Reedy
Brian Kinwald – Losi/Trinity
Dave Montgomery – Associated/Reedy
Gil Losi Jr. – Losi/Trinity
Greg Hodapp – X-5/Losi/Peak
Jared Tebo – Associated/Checkpoint
Jason Ruona – Associated/Reedy
Jeremy Felles - Losi
Jesse Robbers – Losi/Trinity
Jimmy Babcock – Losi/Checkpoint
Joe Pillars – Associated/Peak
Mike Truhe – Losi/Trinity
Rob Schaffer – Associated/Peak
Ryan Cavalieri – Associated/Orion
Ryan Maifield – Associated/Reedy
Scott Brown – Associated/Reedy
Travis Amezcua – Losi/BrOOd

Websites
www.teamassociated.com
www.teamlosi.com
www.xfactoryrc.com
www.teamorion.com
www.planetrcraceway.com
Old 07-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

I know this saves companies in shipping, but this does nothing for the average guy.

Spec tires, no spec inserts and the ability to still modify tires. This stuff belongs at club level...not the nats.

Of course that's my opinion.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What if the track conditions don't favor those choices of tires?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:52 PM
J_P
Tech Addict

It does.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

THere is no actual rule about this, but the guys who would win regardless of the tire choice all agree to use it. I'd actually love for somebody to find a better tire and that allows them to win. Nice story there.

I think Losi should use Losi tires, those who are sponsored by Pro-Line, use Pro-line and whatever other tire sponsors go. Then develope the best tire they can for those conditions. You don't watch real racing where they switch to Dunlap because everybody says they are faster. Tires are the #1 thing when it comes to racing, and seeing tire companies NOT fighting to make the best tire is not the right direction.

For the amount of money racers spend on tires we should demand that they push development.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

i think this is good for the hobby, i remember going to nationals with few tires cause i wanted to see what would work then you had to be fast cause what worked would sell out every hobby shop within a 60 mile radius. this way if your a losi fan or a pro line fan you just have to buy multiples of one kind and you know that you will be using the same tires as the best. you can keep them un mounted then when you find out what foam is working mount them as needed.

i agree pro line drivers should only be allowed to run pro line and losi should only be allowed to run losi.

it also helps a company like panther cause they can go to the track and make a tire that out performs the competition and give there drivers an advantage.

i think its good for the hobby and if they are not allowed to switch brands it will force the brands to continue development to keep there drivers out front.

just my opinion
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J_P
It does.
And if the track conditions change?

Rain, heat, ruts, loose dirt on top....you get the picture.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

its an indoor track the surface will stay pretty consistant and you may see drivers switching to slicks.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:14 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by DerekB
I know this saves companies in shipping, but this does nothing for the average guy.

Spec tires, no spec inserts and the ability to still modify tires. This stuff belongs at club level...not the nats.

Of course that's my opinion.

It does help the average guy. How does it not? It limits the choices. Instead of bringing 6 different tread patterns you have two choices.

ROAR needs to go back to the Spec tire rule like we have in TC.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i would think dry=proline's, wet=losi's
Old 07-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

those tire choices should be fine for the race. Ive ran at planet for several years and only ever used pink tapers.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

That's bassackwards....

And clay = Losi tires, no matter it it is wet or dry....
Old 07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by DerekB
THere is no actual rule about this, but the guys who would win regardless of the tire choice all agree to use it. I'd actually love for somebody to find a better tire and that allows them to win. Nice story there.

I think Losi should use Losi tires, those who are sponsored by Pro-Line, use Pro-line and whatever other tire sponsors go. Then develope the best tire they can for those conditions. You don't watch real racing where they switch to Dunlap because everybody says they are faster. Tires are the #1 thing when it comes to racing, and seeing tire companies NOT fighting to make the best tire is not the right direction.

For the amount of money racers spend on tires we should demand that they push development.
How is it fair for the manufacturers to battle with tire technology and create tires that are 1/2 second a lap faster and then beat the paying customer? That is really good for the consumer. Another reason why ROAR should have a factory class!!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:04 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Hodge
How is it fair for the manufacturers to battle with tire technology and create tires that are 1/2 second a lap faster and then beat the paying customer? That is really good for the consumer. Another reason why ROAR should have a factory class!!

As for the tires thing... I think it should be one tires like last year. I like the manufacturers agreement. If ROAR was in charge of the tire selection, you might endup running R3 Evil Twins on blue groove or something.. ...

As for the Factory Class, AMEN! We used to have this class in NORRCA, before the impending doom. It was nice for the quick mod racers, that are getting somewhere, but not a Cavalieri, Maifield, or Truhe to have a chance at winning a title and being recognized.

Just my .02...
Old 07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

That spec tire rule at modified off-road nationals sucked. Neither Losi or Pro-line designed any new tires for 1/10 off-road for years when that rule took effect. Why design a new tire if its not going to be legal anyway? With the spec tire rule the pro's were still winning (because they are better drivers) the big races, only us "average joe" racers didn't get any new tread designs for the rest of the year for club racing.

Keep spec in the stock, keep open modified open.

The tires choices the manufactures have "agreed" to use at the nats this year are the tires of choice for that track anyway. Even if they didn't "agree" to using these tires, they would be anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.