Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question about esc

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default question about esc

what is the difference in esc and the other other speed control that comes on a stock traxxas rustler i can get a new traxxas rustler without esc and i could buy esc and esc mount for cheaper than i would be paying for a brand new traxxas rustler with esc already installed
also is it hard to hook esc up
Old 07-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

The mechanical speed controller in the rustler has a servo, which rotates an arm, which changes how much power goes to the motor... and how much power is burnt off via a resistor.

An electronic speed controller turns the power to the motor on and off - at different rates, to achieve the desired speed. No servo, no resistor.

ESC is more efficient. You'll get more run time and better performance.

You dont need the ESC mount for the rustler. A bit of double sided tape onto the chassis works fine. Actually - i think its better than using the ESC mount, as the ESC will balance the weight of the receiver.

ESC easier to plug up than an MSC. ESC plugs into the receiver, connects to the motor and battery - and away you go!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Initiate

so msc will work for a couple weeks until i save up the money for esc also will a 6v battery work in the rustler
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by zack221
so msc will work for a couple weeks until i save up the money for esc also will a 6v battery work in the rustler
Yeah mate the MSC will work fine - particualrly if you plan on running the standard "stinger" motor for the time being.

Um... it will "work" on 6v - but it will be awfully slow!!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

ok thanks alot for the help