Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree437Likes

Is RC a cash grab anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Tech Regular

Being an old racer, coming from the era of SCE and SCR Nicads, I would say that racing is probably cheaper now than it was back then, when the $ is adjusted to inflation. The difference, I think, is that people nowadays have greater number of different hobbies and activities that splits the disposable income. Also, some of the fault comes from the manufacturers that started to release "new" kits every year and get people into thinking that they need the newest kit/part to be competitive. Back in the days, new versions of cars were released several years apart. You could very well race the same car for 3-4 years and still be "up to date". Parts, batteries, servos, ESC, ... are much more durable today. Cars should (and are) be competitive for quite a few years if maintained properly. Truth is us mere mortals won't be able to fully exploit the last ounce of performance out of our car.

Martin Paradis
Old 12-06-2023, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm also convinced that it is cheaper today than back then. People usually tend to conveniently forget about things like inflation when they basically just want to complain instead of doing a real, honest, fact-based comparison. Add the ever-present nostalgia-factor on top of that. No, actually most (not quite all though) turns this hobby took during the last 20-25 years were for the absolute better. Doesn't mean it's flawless these days, although quite a few problems of today were not caused by the manufacturers but by us racers/customers ourselves with our demands. But one's own misery is never the fault of the guy in the mirror, it's somebody out there, right?
rhodopsine, RogerM and Alexv2024 like this.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

We must also remember that inflation, today, is pretty ridiculous, so anything we do will seem like it costs a fortune.
El_Rando likes this.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
If manufacturers are hurting, then they should limit their number of sponsored drivers. Also, they might make more money if they sold updated parts instead of an entire kit. For the past few years, it seems that less than 20% of a new vehicle is actually updated. Why not sell each part individually or as a complete kit. It seems they would make more money doing so.
Exactly...
Old 12-06-2023, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Just think how much money Losi and Kyosho would make if they came out with just the upgraded parts for the 5.0 and RB7. No need for a completely new kit. Just provide parts like an easy access gear box.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Most people think to easy about brushless. You still have to do the maintenance of replacing bearings, rotors (if you want to have it optimized) and outline sensors if you want to have it perfect. And then when no blinky is used you need to find all the correct settings to your motor. If you follow the used market it is surprising to see how fast motors, ESC's and batteries are sold by racers to get the latest all new again.

And that is what I did mention before. You can try to hunt for so called team material or with some effort create your own team material.

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
What? Just one motor?

21.5 class only runs on even numbered Saturdays, when the moon is visible and Jupiter's red spot is facing earth.

21.5FT runs if the moon isn't visible.

And neither of those racers will show up if there's a fog. Then you'll have to run 17.5.

No worries though. As soon as one class gets popular, we'll create another one so you can go motor shopping again.

So don't forget to add the cost of a soldering iron. And a transponder.
Again the simple answer to both of these points is run mod and learn to drive it! After all if you really wanted to run a 17.5 in mod there is no reason you cannot do so if you think that is what works best for you!

As for the motor setup stuff I am 99% sure that both of the UK national champions would have simply taken there prefered wind of motor out of the box, checked the endbell timing is visually around 25 degrees and bolted them in to their cars where they would stay pretty much all year. If they needed more top end for a long straight add turbo, if they needed more grunt in the infield then add boost.

The whole "stock" thing doesn't make any sense at all ..... spending a bunch of money on special parts to make a car work better with a less powerful motor rather than building a kit and throwing in the same mod motor that you ran the last season(s)... really!

kufman and BuggyFan21 like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

No Mod class.

We have 25 different super strict 2wd stock classes.

Bring the wrong Esc, you cant race. Its that strict.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well, look at that, another thread going nowhere, except maybe to Chat.
Revolter22 likes this.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Obviously, stock class is where the money is and where most racers want to stay. If you all don't like it, demand your track to run mod and only the novice will run 17.5 stock. If your track doesn't like it and tells you to go kick rocks, open your own track. Then you can run only mod and carpet the entire track, walls, and even the parking lot.

What's funny is, most of you sportsman racers, who are crying about there being too many slower classes, won't bump up to mod. Y'all might go there for a couple races, realize you can't win and are replacing too many parts, then go back to stock motors.
hunterdawg and Revolter22 like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I'm still running a Mugen 7R fleet (7R Eco, 7R Nitro & 7TR Eco) and can still easily find parts at any given moment, moving to a 8R generation won't get me to the Worlds but will get me $2K shorter. Buying into the newest is entirely up to each individual and not always will make you any faster, just stay comfortable with what works with you and exploit it, nothing else to it.
nitrous36 likes this.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

You would think manufacturers would actually make more money if they would run models longer. What I mean is you would purchase parts to upgrade for maintenance or even locate upgraded parts to better what you have.
The thing is with new kits coming out I thought the whole reason with the new kit is they redesign yes and fix flaws? Why is it that they redesign a little bit and not fix the issues that everybody complains about. Why should I have to buy a kit car build it and then buy these optional but needed parts in order to make a kit good.
This is a good subject but the title is like that got me I was like hhmm then laughed
Revolter22 and gscoobydoo like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Easy: profit margins are bigger for option parts than they are for kits. They simply make more money this way.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Because when your car wears out, and you buy a new one, you don't want it to have the same known problematic issues. I'd want the new one to have been improved.

Most brands do offer the upgrade parts. I upgrade and string along old cars for a while. Think my ebuggy is 4 years old.

Likewise, the manufacturer doesn't want you jumping to another brand because of known issues that they can fix in the kit.

Remember how we all switched between AE and Losi every 2 years? Not necessary anymore.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by kruzracing169
You would think manufacturers would actually make more money if they would run models longer. What I mean is you would purchase parts to upgrade for maintenance or even locate upgraded parts to better what you have.
The thing is with new kits coming out I thought the whole reason with the new kit is they redesign yes and fix flaws? Why is it that they redesign a little bit and not fix the issues that everybody complains about. Why should I have to buy a kit car build it and then buy these optional but needed parts in order to make a kit good.
This is a good subject but the title is like that got me I was like hhmm then laughed
They don't have to release entirely new from the ground up kits. They can release updated kits. And for owners who bought one earlier, they can offer option/updated parts. This has been done.

The TC6.2 wasn't a total departure from the 6.1. For a short while, TC6.1 owners could buy the relevant updated parts needed instead of a whole 6.2 kit.
OffRoadJunkie and gscoobydoo like this.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrous36
They don't have to release entirely new from the ground up kits. They can release updated kits. And for owners who bought one earlier, they can offer option/updated parts. This has been done.

The TC6.2 wasn't a total departure from the 6.1. For a short while, TC6.1 owners could buy the relevant updated parts needed instead of a whole 6.2 kit.

That's what I was talking about in post #105. They should come out with upgraded parts kits, rather than just the entire kit.

Is RC a cash grab anymore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.