R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Is RC a cash grab anymore? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/1118323-rc-cash-grab-anymore.html)

gscoobydoo 11-22-2023 04:24 PM

Is RC a cash grab anymore?

It seems like it is now protocol for most major RC MFR's to release a new car yearly maybe two years at the most. Even though these cars have won a Worlds or Nationals. I'm talking more 8th scale than anything. TLR going from X, Elte, 2.0 now something else. Associated wins Worlds with B4 now releasing a new car. Not to mention the over $700.00 price tags. HB and X-ray same thing. Just doesn't seem like enough time to get comfortable with the current car before a new one is released. And the funny thing is they are repeating the same changes to the car's they did years ago. Moving shock angles, different degree hubs, moving weight forward or back, saddle packs, stick packs it's the same thing. If you can't figure setups over the last 20yrs just give it up.

DirkW 11-22-2023 04:54 PM

Most important thing to remember: unless you're a world-level top driver, you don't need the latest and greatest kit every year, even when a manufacturer releases one. If you think you do, you are just making the hobby expensive for yourself. Of course the manufacturers will enable you in that. They are companies after all and they are in the game for profit. Nobody forces you to to upgrade your model constantly.

Zerodefect 11-22-2023 05:25 PM

It's racing. Deal with it.

F1 teams develope new cars every year. As does Lemans, Motogp, Motorcross, etc.

If you're too mentally weak to not buy the latest gadget every time one comes out, freeze your credit card in a block of ice or something. And you're welcome to continue racing your olde car. Especially if your tracks haven't changed in years.

One of my buggies is too worn to be worth repairing or upgrading. It'll be parted out and replaced. I don't want an obsolete chassis just because you can't keep up. I want the most current setup available.

Today's cars rotate with perfect stability and grip, faster than yesterday's cars could slide loose.

gscoobydoo 11-22-2023 05:41 PM

Comparing F1 to toys. Lol

gscoobydoo 11-22-2023 05:48 PM

Mentally weak, I could have took a JRX2 or a YZ10 from the 90's and still competed with today's cars. RC is pricing itself out of existence. The hobby has taken a complete 180 for the worst. Over priced foreign made toys. Only the mentally strong know not to give in to these companies. Rather take up crochet.

Cinnabun 11-22-2023 05:52 PM

I think it’s tough to say the cars of this decade don’t out perform those comparable of the previous decade. Yesteryears cars would grenade with the brushless power modern power systems have and the arms would break with the amount of grip the modern cars and tires can generate.

Zerodefect 11-22-2023 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by gscoobydoo (Post 16052323)
Mentally weak, I could have took a JRX2 or a YZ10 from the 90's and still competed with today's cars. RC is pricing itself out of existence. The hobby has taken a complete 180 for the worst. Over priced foreign made toys. Only the mentally strong know not to give in to these companies. Rather take up crochet.

How the heck is RC pricing itself out of existence, if you can race a clapped out cheap car from the 90's?

Sounds pretty cheap to me.

Zerodefect 11-22-2023 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by gscoobydoo (Post 16052321)

Sorry that you can't grasp what racing is. Lol.

lutach 11-22-2023 09:11 PM

I swear I saw a video of an R/C toy beating an F1 in drag racing.

slappomatt 11-22-2023 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by gscoobydoo (Post 16052321)

I know right? F1 is a joke. RC is serious bidness.

OffRoadJunkie 11-22-2023 10:17 PM

As a beginner, nobody needs the latest and greatest. They would be better off getting an older model with all beginner gear. Once they get better, they can start adding hop-ups.

Isn't there a video, on YouTube, where a guy took out a Kyosho SB Dirt Master and kept up with the lead guy for most of the race and ended up finishing 3rd?

OffRoadJunkie 11-22-2023 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodefect (Post 16052318)
It's racing. Deal with it.

F1 teams develope new cars every year. As does Lemans, Motogp, Motorcross, etc.

If you're too mentally weak to not buy the latest gadget every time one comes out, freeze your credit card in a block of ice or something. And you're welcome to continue racing your olde car. Especially if your tracks haven't changed in years.

One of my buggies is too worn to be worth repairing or upgrading. It'll be parted out and replaced. I don't want an obsolete chassis just because you can't keep up. I want the most current setup available.

Today's cars rotate with perfect stability and grip, faster than yesterday's cars could slide loose.

And it's responses like this that intimidate new racers and makes them feel too uncomfortable to come back to a track or ask questions. Wasn't this one of the big reasons why people quit racing or decided not to race?

Take it is easy Zero. although it can be frustrating, sometimes it's better to explain something without tearing into them first. This opinion was just his personal opinion due to his point of view. Try to paint him a different picture and maybe he will see it your way.

gscoobydoo 11-23-2023 01:56 AM

The big thing today is also the drivers who put on these big sales pitch. Phend, Rivkin, Mafield and Ongara all great sales man. We changed whatever and the car has so much more traction even though they did the same thing five years ago and people buy in to that. Again MFR's catering to there drivers not their customers. Kinwald, Halsey, Pavidas, Francis and Masami used what they had and won with it for years. Today's premaddonas have to have a new car every year just to win a couple of big events. Yeah, and try getting parts for your old car when a new one releases.

Roelof 11-23-2023 03:45 AM

On the 1/8 onroad wolrds a few weeks ago a Mugen MRX6X became 2nd. That car is already 3 years old based on a design of by now 8 or 9 years old.

Can a top driver still be fast with an old car? Probably he can but I have never seen anyone doing it.

Will a new car always be better? No, there are enough examples that drivers did grab to their previous car and wait until the so called child issues were taken care off.

RC10Nick 11-23-2023 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by DirkW (Post 16052312)
Nobody forces you to to upgrade your model constantly.

Parts support is the big limiting factor here. At some point you can't find critical parts to keep your car running no matter how competitive you can still be with it.