Search
Like Tree134Likes

Schumacher cougar LD3

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP
Are you guys drilling out the ball cups when upgrading to titanium turnbuckles? I’ve added grease and worked the threads and they are still hard to adjust on the car. I’m thinking about replacing the Schumacher ballcups with RPM are they still as good as they used to be?
To use 3.5mm turnbuckles you'll need to drill the ball cups out to 3.2mm, I know the Klinik turnbuckles come with a drill bit. On my Schumachers I've replaced all the ball cups that I can with AE. I have 3mm Lunsford turnbuckles on my L1R and 3mm Schumacher ones on my ST2 so I use B6.4 ball cups. My LD3 has 3.5mm Klinik turnbuckles so I use B7/B74.2 3.5mm ball cups. They work great and spares are everywhere.
BP likes this.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BP
Are you guys drilling out the ball cups when upgrading to titanium turnbuckles? I’ve added grease and worked the threads and they are still hard to adjust on the car. I’m thinking about replacing the Schumacher ballcups with RPM are they still as good as they used to be?
Yes, they are holding up quite well. I run the 4.3mm ball socket and punch it out to 3.2mm for my 3.5mm turnbuckle;es. They hold up very well, I run them on every Schumacher I have. Plus I use a 7/32 wrench to hold the ball cup in place when making adjustments.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco73
My LD3 has 3.5mm Klinik turnbuckles so I use B7/B74.2 3.5mm ball cups. They work great and spares are everywhere.
RIP lunsford. I've been looking for different brand for TI turnbuckles. I saw the klinik but I'm worried the extra strength might make arms break easier. I've bent a lot of turnbuckles but only had the one arm break. This friday I wanna try the carbon filled arms all around. I have just the fronts installed and the rears are on the way.
BP and ChocoTaco73 like this.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by staiguy
RIP lunsford. I've been looking for different brand for TI turnbuckles. I saw the klinik but I'm worried the extra strength might make arms break easier. I've bent a lot of turnbuckles but only had the one arm break. This friday I wanna try the carbon filled arms all around. I have just the fronts installed and the rears are on the way.
Conversely Lunsford were stronger than Klnik. I had some one crash in the back of me, bent the Klnik turn buckle and cracked the ball cup. I found the Lunsford to be stronger than most other brands.
BP likes this.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:18 PM
BP
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco73
To use 3.5mm turnbuckles you'll need to drill the ball cups out to 3.2mm, I know the Klinik turnbuckles come with a drill bit. On my Schumachers I've replaced all the ball cups that I can with AE. I have 3mm Lunsford turnbuckles on my L1R and 3mm Schumacher ones on my ST2 so I use B6.4 ball cups. My LD3 has 3.5mm Klinik turnbuckles so I use B7/B74.2 3.5mm ball cups. They work great and spares are everywhere.

I have the Whitz Racing 3.5mm turnbuckles. I guess I’ll order a new set of the Schumacher cups and drill them. I’m a bit rusty been away from the hobby for years.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have the witz turnbuckles with the stock ball cups. I'm not a fan of the stock rod ends. They tend to bind on the ball stud. I have broken 2 and have popped a few time as well. So AE ball cups work? Man if schumacher could just work out a couple of kinks in durability it would be awesome.
BP likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

Klinik turnbuckles bend if you look at them wrong. Almost like they are aluminum.
staiguy likes this.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

anyone know if theres a 69 or 67 tooth spur gear that will fit the stock lockout version?

nvm found they make a 66 tooth, U8585
HOTROD716 likes this.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tony montana
I have the witz turnbuckles with the stock ball cups. I'm not a fan of the stock rod ends. They tend to bind on the ball stud. I have broken 2 and have popped a few time as well. So AE ball cups work? Man if schumacher could just work out a couple of kinks in durability it would be awesome.
would also like to know if AE bull cups work. This is been week sport for a long time.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Taz_S
would also like to know if AE bull cups work. This is been week sport for a long time.
Originally Posted by Raul Garcia
personally I’ve changed to the AE B7 gen buggy. They are predrilled to 3.5 turnbuckles. But you would need the AE 5.5 ball studs.

How many times in one page does the same question get asked? I have given a direct answer to the question. Obviously if you’re switching to the AE B7 ball cups you will also need the 3.5mm turnbuckles of choice, and the proper 5.5 ball studs per location.
RCW likes this.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

How many times in one page does the same question get asked? I have given a direct answer to the question. Obviously if you’re switching to the AE B7 ball cups you will also need the 3.5mm turnbuckles of choice, and the proper 5.5 ball studs per location.
That why i wish there was a wiki here.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Taz_S
That why i wish there was a wiki here.
Taz_S like yourself I’m old school Schumacher, actually think I bought some stuff from you long ago . People want everything at their finger tips today, and don’t take time to read a little . From the XLS to the most modern Schumacher cars I try to be informative about the options and some mods. Lots of users don’t like some of what I do , but it’s not their cars…
Old 05-06-2024, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

wow, sorry man, I don't have time like some people.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

wow, sorry man, I don't have time like some people.
Yes you can use the AE ballcups. Only had to clearance the ball cup a little at the steering rack. I used all Schumacher 5.5 ball studs

tony montana and ChocoTaco73 like this.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rhett McNair
Yes you can use the AE ballcups. Only had to clearance the ball cup a little at the steering rack. I used all Schumacher 5.5 ball studs

Like Rhett had said, the only clearance issue for me too was the steering rack. I still use the plastic rack and plastic swing arms, so material had to be removed to allow properly smooth operation.

Rhett, which Schumacher ballstuds did you actually use on your car, and looks like Avid shims.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.