nitro fuel qyestion!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nitro fuel qyestion!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Because the RC is new and i'm new to RC all together, i took it out for a spin to get the Engine Breakin.

At first i couldnt get the car to startup, but later found out it was because the rev was set too low. I also changed it to rich and ran it according to the instructions for breakin. There was quit a lot of smoke and definetely a lot of oil coming out the back as well because it got a little greesy. the car ran fine.

One thing i'm concerned about is that on a few occassions my car went idle and it quickly died off if i didnt accelerate again to keep the engine going. When i try to restart it, i couldnt until the engine cooled down. Is this normal? I did manage to finish off one tank without being cut off...

And finally, how do i know if i've broken in properly? I dont know to rev it too hard if i havent done so. so far i've gone through 3 tanks with rich mix and 1 tank lean.

Sorry for the long list of questions...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Nobody is mentioning this so I will... Once an engine has used a fuel of a certain nitro % DO NOT Change it. If it was run on 20% stick with it. The materials used to manufacture rc nitro engines are designed to be ductile to facilitate compression in a ringless engine. What I mean by that is the piston relies on interference between the top of the sleeve and the piston to create compression. The ductile properties allow the piston and sleeve to mate to each other and work as a unit. Because of the ductile properties of the materials, i.e. aluminum and brass, the nitro content of the fuel used in the engine will cause the materials to harden due to being "worked", i.e. slight deformation, and "take a set". If you change your nitro percentage you run the risk of catastrophic failure due to the fact that the higher percentage fuel will cause the materials to try to "re-set". This causes cracking and eventually failure. The piston/sleeve can lose pinch, the conrod can fracture, the crank pin can be severed...

DON'T CHANGE PERCENTAGE!!!

So, yes, in essence your engine can read the label. If you doubt me look it up in Xtreme RC Magazine. I don't remember the issue but Derek Buono did an article on that very subject quite recently.(within the last year and a half.)

Last edited by Banshee8530; 04-20-2006 at 01:50 PM. Reason: clarification