R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default any 1 know how to convert 1/8th nitro into electric?

i have a 1/8th scale buggy and read in a r/c magazine that this guy made his 1/8th nitro buggy into electric i was wondering if there was a electric conversion for the x-ray xb8 1/8th scale buggy.
i like the size,look and feel of the 1/8th but want to see if i can change it to an electric powered buggy anyone got any idea's????????????
or ever heard of this??
my idea would be to mount a motor over the top of the centre diff gear with a modified centre diff mount made for an electric motor............
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
FRP
Tech Adept

why would you do something like that?
it's wrong!! Nitro is the way to go!!
FRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

yeah man

he had a blue bird BL

with the 300 something (bucks) warrior controler i do belive

yeah there was this fourm i had found and had booked marked on my other computer with a whole group that has done it

but my old computer crashed and it cant recover my bookmarks

just buy a rolling chasis off e-bay

dont waste ur nitro
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

There's some guys doing it around michigan and racing them. Not sure how they mount the motor up but they are replacing the spur gear with a spur from an rc10gt. And making their own battery trays or straps or something. The guys at rcproductdesigns I think may be actually putting together a kit, I'm not sure though. They may be just messing around. They are the ones who make the TC3O. Google search tc3o or rcproductdesigns and shoot them an email.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is a forum on Radio Control Zone. There are people who have conversion kits for some of them. They basically are running brushless systems with Higher voltage. General setup is the conversion kit. Sensorless brushless controller, Sensorless Motor and then lipo batteries in a 11-14 volt config. Problem you will find is that they will let you race them until you win. Then they will ban you. So make sure you loose. Batteries will be expensive. They do lipos but they will last around 2 years from what some people are saying(possibley longer - they are still using them). Just an FYI - It will be cheaper to buy an 1/8th then convert one to electric. Mass production makes things cheaper.

I know starluck (sp?) rc has a good selection of brushless stuff at a reasonable price.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I have converted two buggies so far. A Hyper 7 and a Kyosho k3. Both worked well. The car comes in at the same weight as gas if you use lipo's. I am running two 2s3p lipo's run in series which is close to a 12 cell pack of nihm. I get a solid 20 minutes of run time with this setup and have equal power to a good nitro motor (i.e. P5). If I want more power I can run one more cell and then no nitro car can touch it. An electric car will have more torque than the nitro car, so you will be able to jump things that the nitro cars will struggle with. It is not a cheap venture to do, it will cost you far more than the nitro would. I would not reccommend doing it from a cost perspective unless you just like the idea of having an electric buggy. It sure is cool running down nitro cars with it though!
Cspurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There is a guy that put a brushless in an older MBX4 on the UnlimitedEngineering forum. It came out great. You lose so much weight (no throttle/brake servo, no engine/clutch, no radio box, no brake cams/disks, no fuel tank, etc). His car was actually lighter than the Nitro version and I believe that was with two 6-cell packs, but can't recall. With a LiPo I believe he said it would be in the under 7lb range. He made his own mounts. Very nice job. I posted his pics on the Starting Grid and Jason Ashton posted that he'd love to drive it ....

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Here are some pic's of the Hyper 8 I just did.
Attached Thumbnails
any 1 know how to convert 1/8th nitro into electric?-hyper8-1.jpg  
Old 04-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #9
Tech Addict

some more
Attached Thumbnails
any 1 know how to convert 1/8th nitro into electric?-hyper8-2.jpg  
Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

its www.rc-monster.com

my bad, im sorry, anyone have the revo conversion?
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The revo should be very easey to do. I would assume the trans case for an e-maxx would go right onto a revo. The t-maxx and revo both use basicly the same trans lay out.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Default 1/8 BL Buggy!!!!

Honestly 1/8 buggy BL I think it is the way to go!!
All U have too do is 5 things for your BL conversion.
1. Find or make a super strong motor mount to fit your ride
2. Find the right spur plastic gear to fit center gear
3. Decide on Pinion gears Mod1
4. Battery mounts
5. Motor and ESC.
and BAMM! A conversion!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps..
romster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Default batteries.

ok guys thanks for the advice just one more thing. the batteries,the lipos are going to be to much for me so i think ill have to settle for nimh packs and i think the highest mah for them is 4200. so 2 packs at 7.2 volts in series equals 14.4 volts with 4200 mah total 12 cells. do you think this will be enough power to run a hacker c50 maxx (3640 rpm/v) to its max patential.
by this i mean will there be any wastage by not being enouph power for the motor to run at its best? the motor is very high spec so i guess i want to know if i can get enouph power into it without being slower than what i can get it to go. so do any of you guys know how amp draw and mah draw etc works.
downunder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Yes, it would be enough for you to use 12 cells with the C50 and have a good run time and speed. If you need some help and feed backs, go to www.rc-monster.com and register in its forum. That site is specialized in brushless setups and conversions. The owner's name is Mike Cronin and he is one good monster who can make all of your brushless dreams come true.
Captain Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote