Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Low speed basher truck, 1/12 to 1/10 scale? >

Low speed basher truck, 1/12 to 1/10 scale?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JerryRigged
  • 1 Post By TwoBelugas
  • 1 Post By Dave_S
  • 1 Post By Mahjik

Low speed basher truck, 1/12 to 1/10 scale?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default Low speed basher truck, 1/12 to 1/10 scale?

Here's what I have now:
  • Summit w/mild brushless
  • Stampede 4x4 VXL w/Castle
  • Axial SCX-10 (going to sell for parts, maybe save the electronics for the next one?)
  • (incoming) Kyosho Fazer Mk.2
The Axial was my daughter's first RC, I got it for her when she was 5. It was fast enough to be entertaining, but not dangerous. It helped that it would go anywhere, despite its size. It was playground-friendly. Now though, it is not holding up well. The drive shafts just randomly fall out when running in grass and the front end pops loose annoyingly all the time.

I want to replace the Axial with something low speed and low stress. Something with good ground clearance, so it can run in the grass without overheating. Not necessarily as slow as the SCX-10, but not as fast as any of the others, either.

Ones I'm considering so far:
  • Clodbuster? Never had one; looks like it might be fun. Are they rugged enough in stock form, or are they always breaking, like my old Falcon was?
  • Blackfoot? I had a Brat before with this chassis and liked it. This adds ground clearance and real shocks up front, but in the end, would not be any better (except for looks) than a simple XL-5 Stampede.
  • Lunch Box? I've already had two, and they're fun. They run FOREVER on a 5 Ah 2S LiPo and they're rugged enough.
  • Upgrade the SCX-10? I don't know anything about these really, but I bet there are upgrade parts to solve these problems. This would be cool as it wouldn't add another RC to the garage.
  • Slash XL-5? These are rugged enough and fast enough and it would make a good street basher. I probably could score a used one somewhere for something reasonable.
  • maybe just gear down the Fazer a bit?
Like a stock Summit, it would be nice if it were something that is almost impossible to break when crashed full speed, in stock form.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If the SCX10 fit your needs, but just was old/worn out, why not look at the new SCX10II or the just released SCX10III?

Or go with one of the Traxxas crawlers that has the 2-speed transmission. Low/slow for crawling, and high/not-to-fast for a bit more zoom?
Smaug likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM
Tech Initiate

The slash will drag too much in grass with its small tires. Get a stampede vxl and put it on training mode and run nimh first and LiPo later.
Smaug likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My nephew had stampede 4x4 vxl at 5 years old, kept it in training mode. Neighbor kid had stampede 2wd brushed that was easy to run.

Not recommending traxxas necessarily, but similar style trucks to the stampede are excellent for that purpose imo. (We run in grass a lot)
Smaug likes this.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Super Clod Buster is about a robust as you'll get out of the box. It's a big vehicle and very stout. It's 4WD unlike the Blackfoot and Lunchbox which would be a huge benefit for youngsters. It will be usable on more varied terrain types without getting stuck. However, it will be difficult to find the Super Clod Buster in stock with the pandemic still going on. It will take a while on shipping at this point in time, but you can order from RCJAZ:

https://www.rcjaz.com/tamiya-truck-k...1452_2452.html
Smaug likes this.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Arrma

I have had a multitude of different brands and configurations I have recently been impressed with the arrma products I have the 4x4 granite brushed (it was in stock brushless wasn’t) but it’s got good speed 4wd water resistant and has three speed settings through the controller i have a 8 year old nephew that I just turn down the speed and he loves the thing and can turn it up for more speed or when I am driving it and it has been quite durable multiple full speed curbings and jumps/flips nothing broken as of now but parts are cheap and readily available if/when something does break.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

I wound up getting her a Kyosho Fazer Mk. 2 Rage and later replaced the SCX10 with a TRX-4. Not the cheap route, but they're both solid trucks.

My daughter and I are very slowly working through a Midnight Pumpkin build. (couldn't find a Lunch Box at a reasonable price)