Wiki Posts
Search

Time for AARCMCC to go professional

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Time for AARCMCC to go professional

Is it time for the sport to become more professionally managed with the amount of State, National and International interest we have?

Now this is not a slur on the excellent work volunteers do in their spare time when balancing the commitments of work, family and their sport/hobby. It’s a suggestion that a full time office be opened to administrate the State, National and International racing, rules and promotion of the sport as a whole like ROAR do for example.

I think it’s time for a General Manager to be appointed to AARCMCC. It needs a voluntary board of directors who the GM would report and be accountable to but the position must be remunerated with clear goals and directions.

For the majority I think it’s fair to say that racing radio controlled cars can be defined a sport - “An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature” whereas a hobby is defined as “an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation”. Sure some people will only ever consider this to be a hobby but they would expect some level of management

I’m reiterating this is not a slur on the excellent work current volunteers do. It’s a suggestion on how we can take the professionalism up a notch or two.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I totally agree 100%.........if we are to be taken seriously as a hobby/sport then a more professional approach starting with AARCMCC is required.

My 3.5NZ cents worth.........

Shane
Old 01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

I agree i think it is a great idea like they do in china it's a sport.So who do you think can handle the General Managers and board of directors positions and be professional and that can sell Australian racers to the world ?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sounds like a good idea but how are we going to pay for this person(s)?

You would have to increase the afflication fee the tracks pay AARCMCC quite substantially which means increasing the race entry fees.

I dont see many racers out there wanting to pay more $$$ than they are now.

Just my 0.9US cents worth.........
Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default CAMS still uses volunteers.

I wonder if you took a doctor of astrophysics to teach kindergarden, would a classroom be any different?

If the participation from affiliated members increased, then it would flow upward to AARCMCC and they would have more time addressing serious matters of importance or free time to market and give more exposure to the sport.

We are a minority sport, increase members and the sport will have more funds. All I could think of when Obama was elected was...

"Do 200 million people believe one person will change the world, or does that one person believe 200 million people can!?"

h
Old 01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RC Centre
Is it time for the sport to become more professionally managed with the amount of State, National and International interest we have?

Now this is not a slur on the excellent work volunteers do in their spare time when balancing the commitments of work, family and their sport/hobby. It’s a suggestion that a full time office be opened to administrate the State, National and International racing, rules and promotion of the sport as a whole like ROAR do for example.

I think it’s time for a General Manager to be appointed to AARCMCC. It needs a voluntary board of directors who the GM would report and be accountable to but the position must be remunerated with clear goals and directions.

For the majority I think it’s fair to say that racing radio controlled cars can be defined a sport - “An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature” whereas a hobby is defined as “an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation”. Sure some people will only ever consider this to be a hobby but they would expect some level of management

I’m reiterating this is not a slur on the excellent work current volunteers do. It’s a suggestion on how we can take the professionalism up a notch or two.
It has been discussed before at times in many authorities, but Australian RC racing is too small to fund a paid President adequately. Remember; "If you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys", and we are better off now with volunteers that are dedicated to what they are doing.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr RC Centre
whereas a hobby is defined as “an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation”.
this is RC in Australia perfectly described dude. No one (that i know of ) in Aus is paid to race. it is a hobby man.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by occ
Sounds like a good idea but how are we going to pay for this person(s)?

You would have to increase the afflication fee the tracks pay AARCMCC quite substantially which means increasing the race entry fees.

I dont see many racers out there wanting to pay more $$$ than they are now.

Just my 0.9US cents worth.........
Good point and I certainly don't know what or how the money AARCMCC generates now is spent. Need some figures to do some very simple calculations
How many members are their Nationally?
Whats the current fees paid to AARCMCC?
If AARCMCC were generating non industry sponsorship would that help reduce the overheads?

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
It has been discussed before at times in many authorities, but Australian RC racing is too small to fund a paid President adequately. Remember; "If you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys", and we are better off now with volunteers that are dedicated to what they are doing.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
If this was a role you were applying for what would you expect to earn? Are any of these current Volunteers capable of stepping up into this full time if the $$ were right?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default AARCMCC fees

http://www.aarcmcc.org/docs/AARCMCC-...ffiliation.pdf

This link gives you the fees and the number of clubs is in the back of Racing Lines.

Cheers
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Individuals are members of a club and the club is affiliated with AARCMCC.

Without significant sponsorship the idea of a full time GM is never going to fly.

If you generate non industry sponsorship what happens when the sponsorship falls short of the promised remuneration? Are the clubs liable to make up the shortfall?

Our hobby is not large enough to support a full time GM. We are very lucky with the volunteers we have and should appreciate the efforts they put in. When you run into an AARCMCC official at an RC meet says thanks (or send them a PM) instead of complaining about the cost of controlled tyres or how complicated the body height rule is on the forum.