Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HOBBYWING LOOKING TO SPONSOR DRIVERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last edited by Peli; 10-08-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Mmm take another read of the details... its not really helping anyone except Hobbywing and the importer get some free advertising and a bit of ego boosting...

I think I'll stick to buying it... it'll be cheaper ...
I agree with you Shadow. Sponsorship needs to be more than just motors and esc's at the level of expectations from Hobbywing in this case. Im not bagging them out but if i were good enough to receive a sponsorship and be expected to make most meetings then i'd want product and a company credit card to offset the travel,accomodation etc.. Sure its nice to receive some products but the cost of being a regular at the meets that count can cost some real money especialy when you travel interstate and need to afford all the other bits that push your car around the track.

When i was a kid i got sponsored by ABC hobbies and was given cars, esc's, motors, tyres, radio gear and so on. The least Hobbywing could do is pay for your travel and accomodation.

Just my opinion, after all this is a forum for discsussion.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BORMAC
I agree with you Shadow. Sponsorship needs to be more than just motors and esc's at the level of expectations from Hobbywing in this case. Im not bagging them out but if i were good enough to receive a sponsorship and be expected to make most meetings then i'd want product and a company credit card to offset the travel,accomodation etc.. Sure its nice to receive some products but the cost of being a regular at the meets that count can cost some real money especialy when you travel interstate and need to afford all the other bits that push your car around the track.

When i was a kid i got sponsored by ABC hobbies and was given cars, esc's, motors, tyres, radio gear and so on. The least Hobbywing could do is pay for your travel and accomodation.

Just my opinion, after all this is a forum for discsussion.
That's well said Jas,

Not that I'm sponsorship material, but being a privateer means I can decide to not go racing whenever I want (which is actually not that often, mostly work or the minister for sports and recreation decides for me) without repercussion.

My yearly motor spend is under $500 bucks, but my yearly spend is not (I know what it is - commercial in confidence and for intended recipient only as they say ) so any sponsorship (I'm dreaming here that I'm sponsorship material, let me have my fantasy) would need to reflect the value my driving brings to the brand in question with respect to the total bill. Without competitve cars and drivrs bolted to the motors, there's not much quality advertising going to happen. If the deal doesn't encourage quality cars and drivers to do said bolting, then a company is not going to be able to satisfy the earlier requirement.

However........ if you want the top gun at the local club to do things, it's a different kettle of fish. Put the motors in the classes, and when people hand out the medicine with the product, you'll have 20 guys considering a purchase.........

Can you tell I'm a bussiness owner?????
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

My yearly motor spend is under $500 bucks, but my yearly spend is not
Thats right Ant and this is where i think the sponsor wins out. Personaly I dont think many of the top drivers would drop what they use right now just to bolt in a free Hobbywing set up anyway.
I know the sponsor needs to get something back for their hand outs but I think this deal needs to be looked over a little more. I'd hate to have to sign my name next to a deal that wasn't worth its true value.
Wether it be hobby wing or any other manufacturer, if i were to be handing out merchandise in efforts of getting some good advertising/publicity I'd expect it would cost me more than a few motor/esc set ups.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is this normal for RC 'sponsorship'?, because I'm thinking it 'looks' more trouble than it's worth.

You get 'loaned' equipment, for which your required to constantly test, return and give feedback on, and in return you get what???.
I see a deal where people are doing 'work' for a company, giving their own time (worth money), and experience (also worth money?) to benefit the company, but not getting paid for it.

I don't see much true sponsorship here, I see a company wanting free test mules, which is not such a huge issue, people will happily do that, if maybe you call it what it is. (hello we are multi billion dollar company called microscrew, free beta test our latest software, so we can make even more money off you in the future)

What I think is going a bit beyond that though, is wanting the same person, as your representative and active promoter of your product...

err hello I'm an unpaid test mule for product X, how may I bend over backwards to be nice, and help you in any way I can as a rep for a company who pays me nothing.

But then I'm still new to the racing, so maybe this is all normal, but my guess is "product test mule" won't sound as cool to your fellow racers as "dude I'm sponsored by hobbywing"...

Just to be clear, I'm only half serious, it's purely just my own laugh based on what I see here.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In the words of Homer J Simpson "It's funny because it's true..."
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On the face of it this is a basic sponsorship package, basically they wont exposure for not much outlay. This sort of deal works only if you intend to compete in a large number of 'Big' Events for the year as thats what the sponsor is after.

If there is a driver planning to do that and want Motor's, etc provided for the Season then all good for both parties.

As other posts have stated going after a few club guys have the advantage that they may not travel much but will get results at their home tracks leading to the potential of a number of racers then switching brands.

I'm sure there will be a number of people happy with the deal, and if they represent the company well it could lead to better opportunities
Old 10-09-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Angelo,

Your original post seems to have been edited. The statement that you were the sole distributor/point of contact for Hobbywing has been removed.

Is this because in reality Hobbywing sells to numerous wholesalers in Australia?

That was a bit misleading and to edit it out on the original post was not the best way to correct the statement as people had already read it and would not really read the original post again
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

I want to be clear that my comments are not in any way aimed at the Hobbywing product, infact Im very keen to do some testing of my own with their budget 3000kv motor and esc combo. I want to set up a few vintage cars with these kits and race them over the next 6 months to see how they perform in all manner of off road vintage cars on various tracks throughout Sydney.

I just hope that if someone ends up signing on to some deal they are aware of all the requirements that are expected of them.

As for me, well Im happy just to buy them
Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cannon
Angelo,

Your original post seems to have been edited. The statement that you were the sole distributor/point of contact for Hobbywing has been removed.

Is this because in reality Hobbywing sells to numerous wholesalers in Australia?

That was a bit misleading and to edit it out on the original post was not the best way to correct the statement as people had already read it and would not really read the original post again
It was edited as there is more to it and you will find out in due course time .

Now why are you concerned about me and what i do greg ?you dont have to worry like you told me many times over you have the contacts in Asia to get battery's esc and whatever you need who others are exclusive to in Australia.

so why the big concern about what i do buddy .

Just look after yourself and you business interests and dont worry about anyone else.

take care Greg
Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BORMAC
I want to be clear that my comments are not in any way aimed at the Hobbywing product, infact Im very keen to do some testing of my own with their budget 3000kv motor and esc combo. I want to set up a few vintage cars with these kits and race them over the next 6 months to see how they perform in all manner of off road vintage cars on various tracks throughout Sydney.

I just hope that if someone ends up signing on to some deal they are aware of all the requirements that are expected of them.

As for me, well Im happy just to buy them
It's ok dude i know you mean nothing bad towards Hobbywing your just putting your opinion forward and thats fine you have a right to do that .

It doesnt have to be an argument if people want to apply they can if they dont well they dont have to it's up to them no one is forcing anyone to do anything .

This is what the factory has asked for so please dont shoot the messenger im only helping them and people who want to have the deal thats all .

take care and happy racing .
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by COBRARACING

Now why are you concerned about me and what i do greg ?you dont have to worry like you told me many times over you have the contacts in Asia to get battery's esc and whatever you need who others are exclusive to in Australia.

Just look after yourself and you business interests and dont worry about anyone else.

take care Greg

Not a real concern for me . Just there is a big difference from being THE distributor to being one of many

Take care Angelo
Old 10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

On closer examination this all sounds like snake oil , smoke and mirrors........and it has made a decision easy for me......I'm NOT going to purchase a Hobbywing brushless system for my first one , if the alleged "sole" distributor can't get his act together.........

And as far as "shooting the messenger" is concerned.......if the agent can't represent the brand properly then what hope do they have???

My 21.5 turns worth.......
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Angelo,

Originally Posted by COBRARACING

take care Greg
Not a real concern for me . Just there is a big difference from being THE distributor to being one of many

Take care Angelo
Ah yes, looks like two nice gentlemen trying to have a fight with feather dusters....
Why don't you both say what you really want to say?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davross
Ah yes, looks like two nice gentlemen trying to have a fight with feather dusters....
Why don't you both say what you really want to say?
There is not fighting here Greg has a right to his opinion and so do i .so its all good .

thank you for your concern .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.