Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
2018 Smokem NSW EP State Onroad Championships >

2018 Smokem NSW EP State Onroad Championships

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree40Likes

2018 Smokem NSW EP State Onroad Championships

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

Default 12th Scale tyre additives for foam

Ok all you 12th scale drivers. What is your recommended tyre additive for foam.
Thinking along the lines of Team Trinity "Purple Dot" Foam Tire Traction for the state titles.
Have not raced 12th scale for many years. Hence the question.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arpuple
Thinking along the lines of Team Trinity "Purple Dot" Foam Tire Traction for the state titles.
GravityRC LG2 seems to be getting a bit of a following.

I am still using some LRP Top Grip I've had for ages or occasionally Hudy Carpet Gripper (cause my LHS can get it) but the Hudy stuff can be a bit thin

I am not as up on all the tyre treatment stuff so I am sure others will have other suggestions
Old 08-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arpuple
I thought the last few events have been open for 12th scale goop. As long as it is odourless. From memory the QLD Titles had open 12th goop. It was held in a impound next to the TC goop. Competitors supplied their own in a zip lock bag with their name on it.

The Gravity seems like it's popular at the moment. Everyone has their own secret sauce and method. I tend to play around with mighty gripper a lot.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz

I thought the last few events have been open for 12th scale goop. As long as it is odourless. From memory the QLD Titles had open 12th goop. It was held in a impound next to the TC goop. Competitors supplied their own in a zip lock bag with their name on it.

The Gravity seems like it's popular at the moment. Everyone has their own secret sauce and method. I tend to play around with mighty gripper a lot.
By the regs, it is meant to be controlled, hence the questions about it
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

1/12 does not have a control tyre so why worry about a control traction additive when you can run any tyre you want
Old 08-13-2018, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ceevee8
1/12 does not have a control tyre so why worry about a control traction additive when you can run any tyre you want
Yeah - lets not open that can of worms just yet .

The worlds are already trialing a control tyre this year and if that becomes the norm then I won't be regretting one bit hanging up the radio at the end of the year.

To be honest as long as its supplied by the organisers or very widely available then control traction additive doesn't bother me. Its all voodoo juice anyway
Old 08-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To actually answer the question: I have used Purple Dot at Newcastle in the past to good effect.

To carry on the discussion. I agree that there is little point controlling goop when the tyres are open, other than to maybe cut down on things to take with you for those flying. And it's really not a good idea to have a control tyre at an outdoor venue for an Australian event. The conditions change too much between the beginning and the end of the meeting. The tyre combination I would use at the start is often undriveable at the end, and vice versa. Picking one combination that will work for the entire meeting, even if it were technically possible, is not practical when most host clubs don't have regular 12th drivers to advise on a selection. It's usually at this point someone says you can tune around the tyre selection. Normally a 12th scale car has a very narrow tuning window. Most of the tuning is supposed to be done with the tyres. There is a way around it on outdoor tracks, but it involves carrying optional chassis to lengthen the wheelbase. The current rules allow for multiple chassis, so if we went with a control tyre combo, the result I would predict is that the fast guys would have two cars, one for low grip and one for high grip.
ceevee8 and No9 like this.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:30 AM
Tech Champion

Actually, the bigger issue is that it is a controlled additive 'event' the biggest reason to regulate the 12th additive is to stop people having stuff in the pits that could potentially find there way onto the TC tyres. If you can think of another way that doesn't increase the work load for clubs, or increase suspicion, we'll be all ears.

In my personal experience (and this is the current national champion saying this) I actually rarely change tyres across an event. Ulti JM fronts, and ZS rears are the go to, and are the standard across all 12th events outdoors. I would be interested to hear when your experience was gained in regard to tyres Dan, as haven't seen you compete in any 12th events for at least the past 2 years....

As for the way round it.. I have a single 1:12th scale chassis, that's it. Never felt the need for another

The other thing to mention is IF it became a control tyre, it's the same for eeryone. But, with the caveat that the tyres selected have to be suitable, and that seems to be the biggest fear against a control tyre... that those selecting it wouldn't pick a suitable tyre, rather than actual resistance to control.
veecee and bd581 like this.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
Actually, the bigger issue is that it is a controlled additive 'event' the biggest reason to regulate the 12th additive is to stop people having stuff in the pits that could potentially find there way onto the TC tyres. If you can think of another way that doesn't increase the work load for clubs, or increase suspicion, we'll be all ears.
That's a good reason. I hadn't been thinking of that, but it makes sense.

In my personal experience (and this is the current national champion saying this) I actually rarely change tyres across an event. Ulti JM fronts, and ZS rears are the go to, and are the standard across all 12th events outdoors. I would be interested to hear when your experience was gained in regard to tyres Dan, as haven't seen you compete in any 12th events for at least the past 2 years....

As for the way round it.. I have a single 1:12th scale chassis, that's it. Never felt the need for another

The other thing to mention is IF it became a control tyre, it's the same for everyone. But, with the caveat that the tyres selected have to be suitable, and that seems to be the biggest fear against a control tyre... that those selecting it wouldn't pick a suitable tyre, rather than actual resistance to control.
The tyres available now are the same ones that were available 2 years ago, so my experience is still relevant. The type of circuit can make a significant difference. At the beginning of a meeting at SMA for instance I'd be using ZS rears, and JH fronts, or if the circuit wasn't as well prepared something harder than that. After a rain shower, you'd definitely want something harder on the front. Medium fronts on a green track would be undriveable. But at the end of the meeting, hard fronts and ZS rears would not give you enough steering. This applies especially to Boral coat circuits where the base layer is smooth. With a lot of running the grip levels increase a lot over 2 or 3 days.

I've said before that a control family of tyres for 12th would not be a bad option. So, prime fronts and prime rears, and option fronts and option rears (where you could mix and match). That would significantly cut down on taking tyres to events, but should provide enough flexibility to cover the conditions. At least, if the tyre family was Ultis. If we had to rotate suppliers then we might have a problem.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Having an additive station for 1/12 (or demo classes for that matter) with BYO additive eliminates a lot of those issues. Any additive found in the pits means someone is in big trouble - no different to if it was a TC only event with controlled additive. Controlled additive for 1/12 means opening new tyres in front of scrutineers (so they can't be pre-gooped), then having the tyres marked, impounding tyres overnight and marking again for the next day. A fair bit of extra work for the host club.

Anyway, a discussion probably best had in another thread.
ShadowAu likes this.

Last edited by Scott_T; 08-16-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

The other thing to mention is IF it became a control tyre, it's the same for eeryone. But, with the caveat that the tyres selected have to be suitable, and that seems to be the biggest fear against a control tyre... that those selecting it wouldn't pick a suitable tyre, rather than actual resistance to control.
Probably a discussion to be had somewhere else but personally this is EXACTLY the reason I don't like the idea at the moment. While Ultis do seem to be the go to tyre for most people they certainly aren't the only option people are using successfully (QLD Titles an obvious example).

One of the main reasons I moved away from TC is because I felt it had become a one size fits no one type of thing and I was unable to find a car/setup/whatever that made me feel I could be genuinely competitive - and I have some pretty low expectations these days - at the moment 1/12 doesn't feel that way to me and I enjoy it more because of that
Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott_T
Having an additive station for 1/12 (or demo classes for that matter) with BYO additive eliminates a lot of those issues. Any additive found in the pits means someone is in big trouble - no different to if it was a TC only event with controlled additive. Controlled additive for 1/12 means opening new tyres in front of scrutineers (so they can't be pre-gooped), then having the tyres marked, impounding tyres overnight and marking again for the next day. A fair bit of extra work for the host club.
The problem with having to open tyres in front of a scrutineer is that you can't use your old ones. While this is not an issue for TC, it is an issue for 12th because there is so little club racing done, and thus little opportunity to make use of old tyres (trued down of course). Which makes things more expensive. And if the control tyre changes from event to event you can't even use them usefully in practice.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you worked out what tyre cleaner etc will be used
Old 08-31-2018, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by T3_PASSION
have you worked out what tyre cleaner etc will be used
Most likely Wurth brake cleaner. Finalising traction compound for TC and 12th scale at the moment.

This will be announced in the next week or so.

Last edited by arpuple; 09-01-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Entry in for 13.5 TC

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.