Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Moving to the NW Burbs in a few weeks. Introduction and a few ???s about local tracks >

Moving to the NW Burbs in a few weeks. Introduction and a few ???s about local tracks

Moving to the NW Burbs in a few weeks. Introduction and a few ???s about local tracks

Old 05-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Moving to the NW Burbs in a few weeks. Introduction and a few ???s about local tracks

Hi all, not a super active member here but I lurk an awful lot. I am originally from Chicagoland but have been in Denver for a few years. I haven't raced in Chicago for a good twenty years. I got back into indoor dirt last year and currently have a B5 rear motor set up to run at MHOR RC in Aurora CO. Its a very high traction indoor clay track. Not necessarily the right vehicle for that but Ill be picking up a mid motor car soon. I have included my slightly incomplete setup sheet for blinky class below. Only real setup changes from the "stock" instruction manual setup are to try to get the damn thing to steer.

Im not the fastest guy hah, usually riding the line between the A and B main. Im super laid back and not the one to get all worked up over things like marshaling mistakes. Through the winter there are lots of people that run 2wd buggy in CO so theres usually 6-8 cars per heat. Not sure what the most popular classes are in Chicago but Im open to getting a new vehicle or two if it means more competition. Id like to try outdoor but it seems like theres a lot less actual racing on the calendar. Im not sure if Im interested in road cars but I could be. Also chalk me up as an "old guy" that believes "offroad" means dirt.

What track do you guys like to run? Anyone run a B5R? Setup suggestions? Tire suggestions? Im going to be in the Grayslake area so it looks like TimeWarp! at Hobbytown is the closest. Seems like Leisure Hours is the choice for a lot of people but that will probably be 90 minutes or more drive. Some places in southern Wisconsin might be closer for me.

Shameless car pics!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

At leisure hours during winter indoor season we have a good showing for 17.5 blinky buggy, 13.5 blinky 4wd buggy, also mod 4wd and 1/8 e buggy. Stadium yrucks are also making a come back.
Outside mostly mod classes. There is also a huge asphalt on road track.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hotrodchevy14 View Post
At leisure hours during winter indoor season we have a good showing for 17.5 blinky buggy, 13.5 blinky 4wd buggy, also mod 4wd and 1/8 e buggy. Stadium yrucks are also making a come back.
Outside mostly mod classes. There is also a huge asphalt on road track.
Thanks! Is the outside track small enough to run mod 1/10?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Check out raceem in Rockford.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hyperfuxx View Post
Check out raceem in Rockford.
Thanks, looks to be about the same distance as Leisure Hours for me. Lots of options for the weekends.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I'd look at what day(s) you're available to race....

Leisure Hours in Joliet runs a Wednesday evening and Saturday evening program (weather & season depend on indoor or outdoor)

Race Em in Rockford runs a Friday evening and Sunday morning/day program (again, weather & season dictate indoor or outdoor)

If you feel like traveling a bit, look into Trackside Raceway in Brookfield, Wisconsin, they have one of the beat facilities and best run program in the midwest

All depending where in the NW burbs your at, there's a new facility currently being worked on right now, Windy City RC, located at Northwest Highway & Euclid, Arlington Heights. They're going to have indoor only, carpet onroad, and turf offroad.

Either way, any day of the week, you'll have somewhere to go within an hours drive.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Atlatl View Post
Thanks! Is the outside track small enough to run mod 1/10?
Both of the outdoor tracks, Dirt/asphalt are big enough for mod.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by The One They Call Dirty View Post
I'd look at what day(s) you're available to race....

Leisure Hours in Joliet runs a Wednesday evening and Saturday evening program (weather & season depend on indoor or outdoor)

Race Em in Rockford runs a Friday evening and Sunday morning/day program (again, weather & season dictate indoor or outdoor)

If you feel like traveling a bit, look into Trackside Raceway in Brookfield, Wisconsin, they have one of the beat facilities and best run program in the midwest

All depending where in the NW burbs your at, there's a new facility currently being worked on right now, Windy City RC, located at Northwest Highway & Euclid, Arlington Heights. They're going to have indoor only, carpet onroad, and turf offroad.

Either way, any day of the week, you'll have somewhere to go within an hours drive.
Brookfield is actually closer to where Ill be than Joliet or Rockford, thanks for the suggestion. I also looked up the thread for the new place in Arlington Heights, looks very promising, thanks again!