Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RDucky47
2 or 3 wire Mylaps?
Either one should work.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adamska27
So, I'm not on the Facebook (get off my lawn!!) but is there gonna be VTA nationals or something next month??

That's a thing??
Straight from the Facebook page:

"Mark Your Calendars!!!!!!!

Our 2018 USVTA Scale Nationals Race will be April 6, 7 and 8 2018.

Should be a great event just like last year.

Classes will be:

USVTA
USGT
21.5 TC
17.5 TC
F1
Euro Truck

Keep watching for flyer and sponsor information.

Hope to see all of you soon."

The Facebook page is public, you can view it even if you don't have a profile.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

So, I'm not on the Facebook (get off my lawn!!) but is there gonna be VTA nationals or something next month??

That's a thing??
April 6-8 VTA Scale Nationals
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No 1/12th scale love Is that pan car race still happening?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ike
No 1/12th scale love Is that pan car race still happening?
Still a possibility at the end of April.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina
Straight from the Facebook page:

"Mark Your Calendars!!!!!!!

Our 2018 USVTA Scale Nationals Race will be April 6, 7 and 8 2018.
Well that's good news, that will be a good time, I'll plan on being there
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK, we have too many TC classes and too many 1/12th classes.....
Can we as a group choose one (or more) to eliminate??

On the chopping block:
17.5TC/21.5TC/21.5 Spec/USGT -- Just pick one/two?
17.5/13.5 1/12th -- Two stocks is not healthy for 1/12th scale to be sure

We need less classes with more cars in them, not the opposite
mark.davis and Nerobro like this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

OK, we have too many TC classes and too many 1/12th classes.....
Can we as a group choose one (or more) to eliminate??

On the chopping block:
17.5TC/21.5TC/21.5 Spec/USGT -- Just pick one/two?
17.5/13.5 1/12th -- Two stocks is not healthy for 1/12th scale to be sure

We need less classes with more cars in them, not the opposite
You forgot VTA
Nerobro likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

No, I didn't forget VTA, I feel it has a distinct place in the format and cannot see how it would be eliminated

The ladder:

VTA
Whatever we decide
Mod
Nerobro likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think more people have 13.5 1/12th scale ready to go, plus it's what other tracks run more regularly. Just from being at the track a couple times it seems there is a fair amount of people with cars, they just don't bring them out to race very often... I hope this changes! I'd make the trip some weekends if there is 13.5 being run, but would be less likely if it's 17.5 since I'll also be racing in Oshkosh from time to time.

I feel like TC/VTA/USGT is a total mess with too many similar speed classes. Personally, I think RC on road would be better off if USGT and 21.5 went away. Have a TC and to go slower and spend less on tires, race VTA, want to go faster, race 17.5...
mark.davis likes this.

Last edited by Ike; 03-13-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

This weeks schedule:

Tuesday 3/13:
Open 10 am to 8pm
On Road Open Practice
Off Road Open Practice

Wednesday 3/14:
Open 10 am to 8 pm
On Road Open Practice 10 am to 645 pm
On Road Club Racing starts @ 7 pm
(2) Qualifiers and Mains
Off Road Open Practice

Thursday 3/15:
Open 10 am to 8 pm
On Road Open Practice
Off Road Open Practice 10 am to 645 pm
Off Road Club Racing Starts @ 7 pm
(2) Qualifiers and Mains

Friday 3/16:
Open 10 am to 8 pm
On Road Open Practice
Off Road Open Practice

Saturday 3/17:
Open 9 am to 6 pm
On Road Open Practice
Off Road Open Practice 9 am to 1045 am
Off Road Saturday Club Racing Starts @ 11 pm
(3) Qualifiers and Mains

Sunday 3/18:
Open 9 am to 6 pm
On Road Sunday Club Racing Starts @ 1130 am
(3) Qualifiers and Mains
Off Road Open Practice

Monday 3/19:
CLOSED
Old 03-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ike
I think more people have 13.5 1/12th scale ready to go, plus it's what other tracks run more regularly. Just from being at the track a couple times it seems there is a fair amount of people with cars, they just don't bring them out to race very often... I hope this changes! I'd make the trip some weekends if there is 13.5 being run, but would be less likely if it's 17.5 since I'll also be racing in Oshkosh from time to time.

I feel like TC/VTA/USGT is a total mess with too many similar speed classes. Personally, I think RC on road would be better off if USGT and 21.5 went away. Have a TC and to go slower and spend less on tires, race VTA, want to go faster, race 17.5...
21.5TC is gaining in popularity and I think will likely replace 17.5, the speeds between 17.5 and full mod are too close with modern motors in a lot of people's eyes, 21.5 is probably the next stock according to lots of in-the-know folks

Also, 21.5 spec needs to be listed as such, Larson had to tell me that was controlled motor on Sunday, if we call a class 21.5 Touring without adding Spec or something its just plain confusing, I would be on board with the Spec motor variant, I would be OK buying the cheap motor to only race at WCRC and if I go somewhere else just swap motors, setup should be close enough

We need to lead, not follow, and these class issues exist all over the country, Oshkosh, Cleveland, Snowbirds, it's like everyone is waiting to see what will happen and no one is making it happen
Nerobro likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

I'm liking the discussion that's being had here..

There's a lot to be said about clearly communicating what classes are what. With clearly (not publicly editable) rules. Maybe even suggesting what classes are there for. Perhaps a page on the website with that information up there.

Euro Truck - A light hearted, cheap, pure test of driver skill
VTA - Low horsepower, classic bodies, and corner speed.
USGT - More power, modern bodies, more chassis.
17.5 TC - Big speed, Big crashes, blinding lap times.

I've only driven three kinds of touring car, so i can't really say much about how big of a driving difference there is going up step by step. I know there's a solid leap from Euro Truck to VTA, and again from VTA to USGT. Enough that it requires a bit of a re-calibration of my head between classes.

I like USGT versus 21.5 TC, because it feels like a good middle ground between 17.5tc and VTA. Still a blinky class, but with easily identified bodies. 17.5, 21.5, and Mod all having the same bodies doesn't make for a very interesting show from the sidelines.

I still feel it's important for cars to be easily identified from 20-30' away, and know what class they are.

These are reasons why I like the common pan car classes at WCRC. They're real easy to spot. WGT-R, GT-LM, and F1 are all distinctive, and you're not likely to mistake them.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nerobro
I like USGT versus 21.5 TC, because it feels like a good middle ground between 17.5tc and VTA. Still a blinky class, but with easily identified bodies. 17.5, 21.5, and Mod all having the same bodies doesn't make for a very interesting show from the sidelines.

I still feel it's important for cars to be easily identified from 20-30' away, and know what class they are.

These are reasons why I like the common pan car classes at WCRC. They're real easy to spot. WGT-R, GT-LM, and F1 are all distinctive, and you're not likely to mistake them.
All good points

Side note: Is there a hotel deal for the VTA nats?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Do we really have too many classes? Only in the usgt/21.5TC/17.5TC grouping. Lets look at what we really have.

usvta & F1 are not going anywhere
mod tc has a small but dedicated following.
Eurotruck seems to be a class, we just haven't seen it in a few weeks. We'll see how it holds up over the long run
13.5 1/12 is only run occasionally because not that many people run it. I don't think we've ever had 17.5 1/12 actually run. Maybe once, so lets not worry about those two classes
lmp1 and wgtr are also only run once in a blue moon so why worry about them either?

The real fight is over the stock speed TC classes - USGT and whatever speed stock TC ends up as

You would probably have a huge fight on your hands if you suggested getting rid of USGT. Plus, most of the folks that run usgt, F1 and vta usually run some combination of those 3 classes and not much else. You're not gonna get those folks into stock or mod TC very often. 1/12 even less.

So that leaves us (well, Eric really) to define what stock TC will be at wcrc. If I had a vote I would say for wcrc to make 21.5 the stock TC class. 17.5TC is on the way out, its just a matter of time. Now here's the problem. There are several folks running our 21.5TC class because the handout motor makes it inexpensive enough and slow enough to do it. If we make it open motor or even a single manufacturer motor we might lose a couple folks from TC and we need all the TC drivers we can find. Having said that, I think that ultimately I would say to Eric to choose 1 manufacturer 21.5 and go with that. Initial motor purchase would be a little more but you wouldn't have to play motor of the month club. Folks just getting started could gear down a little until they're comfortable. Most would probably tell me to gear down no matter what I run.....

So we have vta,f1,usgt, stock TC and mod TC as regular classes with whatever else depending on whatever else shows up. Pretty much what we have now except in TC. It seems like too much because we aren't getting full heats in the 'standard' classes.

We also have to stop thinking of this hobby the way it was 10 years ago or more. Its not about 'everyone needs a trophy'. The hobby has gotten pretty expensive the last 5 years and everyone needs to find a price point and speed they can handle. You have to be careful reducing the number of classes arbitrarily. We do need to keep it under control, but too much and you end up driving people away and neither we racers nor Eric's business want that.

Having said all that I hesitate to say what people should run. If I was told I couldn't run mod tc unless we always had a full heat of 8 and not 3-6 I would be pretty pissed. Its a fine line to walk.

wow that was a long post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.