Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
St. Charles HobbyTown USA 2012 Racing Season >

St. Charles HobbyTown USA 2012 Racing Season

St. Charles HobbyTown USA 2012 Racing Season

Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Summer Racing

Glad to hear everyone getting everything ready for racing, should be a great year and some fun races
Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Im getting prepared, hopefully I dont have to work almost every saturday like last year. I'll be signing up for VTA, open SCT, maybe off road. Anyone interested in a Wheely King class??
Old 03-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rusty101 View Post
Anyone interested in a Wheely King class??
not if it involves turning corners perhaps a longest wheelie contest
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Rookie

The corners are what would make it interesting!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Are the mini's allowed to run brushless?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tmg2112 View Post
Are the mini's allowed to run brushless?
The important aspects of what make up the M-chassis class are...

1. Stock "silver can" brushed motor.
2. Wheels / tires designed for m-chassis that don't exceed 60mm diameter.
3. Stock gear ratios only
4. 2 wheel drive, front or rear only (4wd m-cars go to their own class)

Examples of legal cars for this class are any Tamiya M-chassis car, the HPI Switch and ABC Hobbies Grid or Goose.

I hope all tracks in the area will return to respecting these rules. One of the larger local racing series (Asphalt Assault) is switching to 21.5 Brushless for the M class with no timing allowed on the speed controls. When the gear ratio stays the same and no dynamic timing is allowed, the 21.5 offers no real performance advantage over the silver can. So it will be interesting to see if that new rule takes off and becomes the standard for all tracks in the area.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

M

Last edited by KenJones 3; 08-25-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
The important aspects of what make up the M-chassis class are...

1. Stock "silver can" brushed motor.
3. Stock gear ratios only
4. 2 wheel drive, front or rear only (4wd m-cars go to their own class)

Examples of legal cars for this class are any Tamiya M-chassis car, the HPI Switch and ABC Hobbies Grid or Goose.

I hope all tracks in the area will return to respecting these rules. One of the larger local racing series (Asphalt Assault) is switching to 21.5 Brushless for the M class with no timing allowed on the speed controls. When the gear ratio stays the same and no dynamic timing is allowed, the 21.5 offers no real performance advantage over the silver can. So it will be interesting to see if that new rule takes off and becomes the standard for all tracks in the area.
I agree that's the way it should be, but even at some of the TCS races they don't enforce the stock gear rules. Many drivers use the the faster gear sets. I've never seen the people at Hobbytown tech a car of any kind. On the ABC FWD car it's easier to change gears and the people in charge would have to know what the stock gears are for ABC cars. I think the rules you listed are right, but can they be enforced? If everyone ran Tamiya box stock minis with unjuiced silver can motors it would be real obvious who has the faster gear set. I think groups go to 21.5's and in Australia they use a cheap Hobbywing system, because that takes away to the silver can gurus' advantage.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

I've always run the 20T pinion. That should be the rule but it's hard to enforce. And just how do they enforce the 18K RPM limit for silver can motors? I don't see that happening locally.

I am going to a 21.5 brushless motor in mine since that is the new spec motor for the Asphualt Assualt series. Of course, no ESC boost allowed. I can run either way but I'd rather keep the same motor in the car all year.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Peter,
Asphalt Assault is going to go to only Tamiya mini wheels/tires this year. Now I have to take spacers out of my rear shocks since I can't those smaller diameter Sweep rear tires this year. This rule would be easier to enforce.

Everyone - should we do the same at STC HTUSA?
Mark
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Suspended

B

Last edited by KenJones 3; 08-25-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Hobbytown doesn't really enforce anything. It's an honor system that has to be respected by the guys that race there. Problem is that some guys don't even know what the rules are. I didn't make that many races last year but one I came and watched, one of the Hobbytown guys was running touring car tires on his M chassis. It really needs to be clear for everyone.

The largest pinion available on a stock tamiya Mini is 20 tooth for a final drive of 5.8:1. A 21.5 brushless will be under geared at that ratio. That's why there's no advantage over a silver can. However, you can increase the mechanical timing up to 45 degrees on most brushless motors which makes it a little faster. Like Mark, I'd like to run 21.5 brushless just to keep things simple for myself. But Hobbytown really needs to make the rules about tires and gearing clear. Maybe print out a simple rule sheet available at the races about the main motor, tire and gearing rules for each class? It doesn't have to look like a ROAR rule book, just the basics would do.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Suspended

M

Last edited by KenJones 3; 08-25-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Lot's of people use other gear sets including myself. Some even modify the transmission to accept a 26 tooth pinion. These larger pinions don't even fit through the motor mount hole unless you modify it. Point is that in a spec class we shouldn't be doing this. If one guy thinks the other is, the he does it as well, and so on, and so on... But if we want it to be a spec class, then there needs to be a standard that everyone can follow, not just the guys that are good at modifying things or importing hard-to-find gear sets from Hong Kong.

The spec for this class in TCS is a 20 tooth pinion and 5.8:1 gear ratio. So if Hobbytown puts that in writing and everyone understands it, then at least there's a chance to have an equally matched drivers class, which is what any spec class is supposed to be. I really don't care that much because I won't be racing at Hobbytown that often. I just want to know what the standard is so I'm prepared when I do race. I don't want to be the only one running "cheater" gears, but I don't want to be the only one not running them either.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't want to be the only one running "cheater" gears, but I don't want to be the only one not running them either.
Sums up my feelings towards it especially if it is an expensive entry fee.

Last year at the AL's AA race I was as fast as the fastest except my mini car did not handle. Then at the Leisure Hours race had the speed and handling but the front runners were much faster, like we were two different classes. Months later I had to ask them what gears they were running, they were running 26.

For a "spec" car that is supposed to be simple, cheap and fun it seems to have the most baggage. Too much thinking outside the box instead of just running it outside from the box. At "The Track" Tamiya race they checked for the pinions, yet what did it really matter if you cannot check the spur cluster. I do think people are thinking beyond the box which has not and I will not cover it here. Some guys were so fast with their minis they were as fast as 4wd sedans which is ridiculous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service