Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Wisconsin & Illinois Racing
Westgate Cup 1/10 Electric Touring Car Racing, Arlington Heights, IL. >

Westgate Cup 1/10 Electric Touring Car Racing, Arlington Heights, IL.

Westgate Cup 1/10 Electric Touring Car Racing, Arlington Heights, IL.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Talking Westgate Cup 1/10 Electric Touring Car Racing, Arlington Heights, IL.

We are looking for more racers to fill out our spring season! We race in my elementary gymnasium in Arlington Heights, IL. Racing is tight, competitive, and most of all fun.
We are 2 nights into the Spring season of 7 sessions, and we drop the 2 lowest scores...so there is still time to join up.
Rules:
Any 1/10 body, any 1/10 electric touring car 4wd, any 7.4 lipo or 6 cell stick pack, any speedo, any tires.
Motors: 540 silver can, 540 black can, 25.5 or 21.5 brushless.
Must have I-lap transponder, about 40 bucks...I have 2 to loan out, and will get some more to sell.
As this is an Elementary school, the whole purpose is to have fun and drive indoors on Friday nights. I do have to pay for insurance and gym usage/rental, etc. so there is a 10 dollar fee for entry.
The next race dates will be
March 23rd, April 6th, April 27th, May 4th, May 18th
Doors open at 6:15pm and racing should start at 7pm
We run 3 qualifiers for best time and seed for mains...points are calculated on the 5 main races(5 mains for each heat A,B,C) and added up for season standings.
Because of limited space, this is not open to the general public to just drop in, to contact me for more information please E-mail me at:
[email protected]
We are 2 nights into the spring season, but as we drop 2 scores, everyone has 0 points for the season so far. We are looking to get 5-10 racers to join up, and then move outside at Strictly and continue to run at R/C Raceway for offroad on the nights we are not racing.
Again, please contact me at [email protected] for more information
Eric
Old 03-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

How long are the qualifiers and mains?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Races are 3 minutes in length. We run on a gym floor that is about 50' by 70', so lap times are roughly 9-12 seconds per layout. After 3 minutes you pretty much know who is leading by then, and all you do is end up lapping people over and over. We also run shorter times to keep temps down on the brushed motors, AND it allows us to run more races. So 8 races a night for 10 bucks.
Shorter races also allow you to run a battery for 2-3 races before swapping out which speeds up the process as well. We normally run 7pm-11pm and in 3 hours we try to cover 20-30 races so pretty fast paced and no down time.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Location: Naperville, Illinois- on to Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana Racetracks!
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Coach K View Post
Races are 3 minutes in length. We run on a gym floor that is about 50' by 70', so lap times are roughly 9-12 seconds per layout. After 3 minutes you pretty much know who is leading by then, and all you do is end up lapping people over and over. We also run shorter times to keep temps down on the brushed motors, AND it allows us to run more races. So 8 races a night for 10 bucks.
Shorter races also allow you to run a battery for 2-3 races before swapping out which speeds up the process as well. We normally run 7pm-11pm and in 3 hours we try to cover 20-30 races so pretty fast paced and no down time.
This sounds really fun! Wish I had more Fridays available... and that I hadn't sold my Xray Touring Car!!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Im In!!! Email sent!!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

Well, back in the day we used to run on Sundays, but the new admin rule is that I would need a building attendant at 35 bucks an hour...so I would have to charge 30 bucks a person to race, and I thought that was too steep. If I run on Friday nights, there is a night custodian here, so we save 140 bucks a night on custodial fees. The only way I could do Sundays without paying out the nose is if I become an administrator in the district instead of a PE teacher...so, for now, we have to do Friday nights. The whole Westgate Cup series is non-profit...I do it for fun, not to make money...so if we can run cheaper on Friday - that's what we have to do.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default youtube of the B-main

There is a video of the B-main a few seasons ago...unfortunately, I have not reached my limit on this board to post it yet...can someone do so? Search "Westgate Cup" it is in a gym with a wood looking floor.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Coach K View Post
There is a video of the B-main a few seasons ago...
This video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUk3d...eature=related

What type of tires are you using? I guess no traction additive. I'm surprised the school lets you do this right on the gym floor.

Snowy.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default Tires...and floor

Well, we used to all run HPI advan A038 24mm carpet tires with tire sauce on them...BUT we also found that the sweep OG spec tires grip really well, actually traction rolling at times!
The gym floor is not wood with wax, it is a roll out plastic covering with 6mm foam "cushion" under it. The "pattern" makes it look like a traditional wood floor. This was rolled out and applied 5 years or so ago. Some nights the traction is like carpet, others it takes time to build up. I also run the floor scrubber on it before racing and clean up afterwards.
Never had a nick or rip due to the cars, only damage to the floor was from the family fun fair.
Thanks for posting the you tube for me
Eric
Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Intrested...

Email sent...
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow...this is the school my Nephew goes to and its like 10 minutes from me. I would be interested in coming out and checking it out one friday can we just show up and watch?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hey Coach. Did you ever mail out results from the last race? Just wondering how the points standings went. I couldn't make that one but I plan to be there for the rest of the season if possible.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Awesome that you were able to organize this,

Looks like a good time.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Smile Racing this Friday 3/23

I sent out an info sheet to all that replied to the E-mail...please send me an E-mail if you did not get it. Hope to see everyone this Friday night!
Eric
Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Racing this Friday night

We will be running this Friday night (4/6/2012), doors open at 6pm, again...contact me for more info in interested at [email protected]
Thanks,
Coach K

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.